What issues have you experienced with Droid Eris?

Reaction score
Since Android 2.1 came out for the Eris, we (@Tech Support Verizon Wireless) have gotten a few complaints about device functionality/performance.

Your opinion, on this issue, is GOLDEN.dancedroid

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
I installed Leak v3 of the 2.1 system and shortly afterward upgraded to Moto Droid, so I dont have much detail to add but the main issue for me was horrible battery life.

Now, after reading the site the last few months and paying attention to battery life topics, specifically htc devices, it very well could have been a bug in the reporting system of the phone and not actual battery drain because my battery settings and usage stats were always fine. Regardless, there was a problem.

Sorry I dont have more for you but I did want to say that and that it always kind of felt like 2.1 was just too bulky for the Eris to me.

~ Droid ~

Bluehand

Reaction score
• long podcasts would not play correctly - after a while, they would start to skip forward and would not stop *(I tested this yesterday after the latest software upgrade, 2 separate podcasts, issue seems to have been resolved)

• the favorites widget (if that's the name, it had the large pictures, you could set quick actions like calling, texting, etc.) was horrible after 2.1 - not sure if this improved with latest as I have just switched to using shortcuts on my desktop, less of a footprint

• I would get a temporary freeze on occasion, the phone would switch to showing a medium sized grey box and the spinning cogwheel, along with "HTC". This was always short, but very annoying as there was no way out of it. I've yet to see this since the latest upgrade.

* So far, so good, with this upgrade.

smtgirl

Reaction score
Apps force close a lot. If I try to type something the keyboard just closes out and I have to open it and start typing again. My favorites don't work very well, I have to touch them a few times before the phone will call. My phone doesn't always ring, I'll see that I have a missed call when my phone is right next to me and lately it's been running very slow. I just downloaded the update and I hope it helps because I really liked my phone when I first got it and now I'm ready to get a new one after only having it for 5 monthe.

posey46

Reaction score
Very often, the phone has a mind of its own. My main issues are that at least once a day, something I have placed on the home screen will take itself off. The clock is usually the widget that leave first but occasionally my email widget leaves also. Usually what happens is it will stop allowing me to scroll through the different homes screens. Then the widget will act like I am trying to move it even though I am not touching the screen. Then the phone will scroll through all the home screens. It will not allow me to move back to the original screen the widget was on and put it back. When I turn the screen off and turn it back on, the widget has removed itself. This happens at least once per day. Very frustrating. Also, the keyboard will close itself out while I am trying to type something. It's the stock keyboard that I have noticed it on but Better Keyboard does it too.

Those are the two main issues I struggle with. I have done a factory reset a couple of times and did it again with the push out of 2.1. I am pretty much just dealing with it since I am not due for a new phone for about a year.

dannyg

Reaction score
i have always said my eris is a great toy but a crappy phone,poor reception has always been an issue along with dropped calls i recieved my update wednesday morning and not long after that had 2 dropped calls in an area i travel alot i will drive that way over the weekend and see if it is still a problem.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
i have always said my eris is a great toy but a crappy phone,poor reception has always been an issue along with dropped calls i recieved my update wednesday morning and not long after that had 2 dropped calls in an area i travel alot i will drive that way over the weekend and see if it is still a problem.

What is funny is I have never had a dropped call, nor problems with reception except in areas where all Verizon subscribers have reception problems.

Bluehand

Reaction score
* So far, so good, with this upgrade.

One hiccup that I don't think I saw prior to the update.

- When trying to reply to a text, I'll tap in the "Tap to compose" window, but then the window that appears has a grey tint and I'm unable to input any text.

EdieGirl

Reaction score
You name it I've had it. Phone turns off when it's slightly bumped or dropped on a bed or desk. I read in another thread that it was a battery issue, but neither Verizon locally nor customer service thought to replace battery and cover, I'm currently on my second Eris in 5 months. They wanted to give me a third. Complete usage is slow, icons take long to click, long to open, text is horrible, both on original program and Handcent. Keys take long to click, keyboard disappears. When dialing for a call the keys take long to appear after clicking them, call will not ring or just not go through. Should I keep going? :)

EdieGirl

Reaction score
You name it I've had it. Phone turns off when it's slightly bumped or dropped on a bed or desk. I read in another thread that it was a battery issue, but neither Verizon locally nor customer service thought to replace battery and cover, I'm currently on my second Eris in 5 months. They wanted to give me a third. Complete usage is slow, icons take long to click, long to open, text is horrible, both on original program and Handcent. Keys take long to click, keyboard disappears. When dialing for a call the keys take long to appear after clicking them, call will not ring or just not go through. Should I keep going? :)

Oh right and this was before AND after 2.1 update and Eris update. No Froyo yet.

raethryn

Reaction score
My wife has an Eris and not a day goes by that she doesn't have one of the following:
1)Bad reception and dropped calls
2)Her home clock removing itself from the front screen
3)Her emails getting deleted.
4)lag and poor performance overall with slow or unresponsiveness.
5)freezing.
6)Phone not letting her know she has email.

She needs to turn her phone off several times a week and turn it back on just to get it to respond. Last night google maps took 5 minuts to load and then still wouldn't update.

She's been through 1 bad battery already. She's getting ready to enter her training regime and does non-profit work and the Eris doesn't let her do much.

Needless to say we are going to pay full price on a new phone asap. All this happened before and seemed get worse with 2.1.

EdieGirl

Reaction score
:( Good luck and well, it sucks you have to pay full price for a better model. I can't believe Verizon tried to stick me with a 2nd replacement (3rd phone). I've been with them five months and I've already gone through 2 phones. Very disappointing! I got offered a "like new" purchase, I was gonna go for the Droid but they told me it wasn't available. It's not my fault the phone doesn't work, why can't they help me in getting a better model?! :(

raethryn

Reaction score
Yea it's a piece of crap phone tbh in my humble opinion. My Moto Droid 1 is quirkly and laggy here and there but no where near as bad as the Eris.

My wife told me she felt like HTC pulled a bait and switch on her for the Eris and while she likes the HTC Sense she feels so burned that she is going moto droid x with me.

Ninja blur ftw! :)

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea it's a piece of crap phone tbh in my humble opinion. My Moto Droid 1 is quirkly and laggy here and there but no where near as bad as the Eris.

My ewife told me she felt like HTC pulled a bait and switch on her for the Eris and while she likes the HTC Sense she feels so burned that she is going moto droid x with me.

Ninja blur ftw! :)

ewife? Is that an app? :)

miasmata423

Reaction score
Been lurking for a while. I have Droid 1, wife has Eris.

Had a good phone up until the 2.1 update. Then calls were sometimes one-sided. Prox sensor wouldn't work, couldn't hang up, general freezing etc. Multiple factory resets later, Verizon sends a new phone.

New phone: In browser, messaging or other applications the screen would just go white and stay that way for a while, then go back to normal.

Went to store, got a 3rd Eris. No volume out of the handset, only speaker phone. Multiple factory resets, volume is up.

Getting the 4th Eris in 6 days today. I'm feeling like we're just going to be on this infinite circle-jerk where we get "like new" phones that are all broken, and we're just going to go around and around until we have a phone that's broken, but not broken too bad and we just figure out how to live with it. What a shame....used to be a very nice, sleek, responsive phone. They're all apparently just piles of cr*p now.