What is your favorite launcher for the Droid 3?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 3' started by xconwayx, Sep 26, 2011.

1. REMilk

REMilk Member

Ratings:
    +7
    It is difficult to make a decision as many of these reviews lack substance. Saying, I like XYZ launcher tells me nothing. Tell me why you like the launcher, what are the advantages over other Launchers you have tried, and be specific. In addition, explain why a particular launcher does not meet your needs and again be specific.

I remember back a year or so ago, one of the forum posters put together a post that described each of the launchers available at that time. This poster also tested each one and gave his opinion on its usability. Remember, it was his opinion, and yours may differ. I found this post very helpful.

Given the many quality and unique third-party Launcher/Home Screen replacements, it would be nice for someone to step up to the plate and compile this information for all to see.

Once compiled, maybe it can become a stickie.

2. guidot

guidot Developer Relations
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +275
    I believe someone has done a review of most launchers on here already, I'll try to find it and sticky it, if I find it deems sticky'ing.

On a side note, I reinstalled ADW on my D3 for the ICS theme from THAPhlash and kovdev, and it is exceptional.

3. REMilk

REMilk Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Thank you guidot! I hope you locate it. Why do you consider ADW exceptional?

I will use post #34 as an example of a good post that answers the question of why someone prefers/likes a specific Home Screen replacement. In post #34, NoBloatware gave 2 specific examples of why he Zeam meets his needs. This kind of post I find very helpful and informative.

4. NoBloatware

NoBloatware Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Lol, thanks REMilk. I just re-read my post and found it a little confusing! My choice of launcher right now is actually ADW, not Zeam:
    -free
    -fast
    -bugless
    -reasonable privilege requirements
    -can hide stuff in the app drawer
    -can resize size of home screen (rows & columns)
    -has enough other features for me, like ability to resize widgets

If you don't mind being reamed by the privileges then my pick is GO Launcher EX. It has lots of features. The main one, for me, that makes it a bit cooler than ADW is that you can swipe up on any of the dock icons to perform a different operation. For example, set the dialer icon on the dock. Set the swipe up action for it to go to your Google Voice inbox. That being said, GO took ADW's code and modified it. They added some stuff and I don't think that they're providing the source code in return. Also, I don't trust them. Their launcher asks for too many privileges, PERIOD

5. phantomberry

phantomberry New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I like Spb shell 3d and Claystone

6. LT*

LT* Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I use LPP. I have it set to not rotate the home screen to landscape. My question is, do any of these other launchers have a setting that will allow the home screens to rotate to landscape ONLY when the keyboard is opened,and leave it in portrait if the phone keyboard is closed?

7. NoBloatware

NoBloatware Member

Ratings:
    +11
    ADW allows this behavior. In ADW's preferences, set the orientation to Portrait. The screen will not rotate to landscape unless the keyboard is opened.

I've probably said this before in this thread: ADW, Nemus, and Zeam are the only 3 launchers that I've found that require a reasonable set of privileges. I don't need my launcher to access my SMS, have full Internet access, etc. My current favorite is ADW but I have all 3 installed. Anyone know of any others that have reasonable privilege requirements?

8. LT*

LT* Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I'll check ADW out

9. DELUXDroid

DELUXDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Go Launcher is awesome. I tried Zeam for a bit, ADW, Launcher Pro... but Go Launcher just fails to disappoint me. And there's a REALLY NICE free ICS theme floating around for it that just makes it the tits. That and I still get ridiculously good battery life with it, which wasn't true for some of the other launchers.

10. darkmatter

darkmatter Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I've found I actually prefer stock...

Kinda annoying since I have paid versions of all the launchers... even the Samsung one.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

11. NoBloatware

NoBloatware Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I used the stock one for a few minutes. I thought people were complaining that it was slow to respond in some circumstances, like when closing apps. Also, I don't like that it doesn't allow more customization. For example, I think that the app drawer icon has to be on the right side of the dock, right? Not a big deal but then the dock also doesn't allow you two scroll it/swipe it so you can have many apps on the dock. Does the stock launcher let you add more rows/columns to the home screens or add/remove home screens?

12. DELUXDroid

DELUXDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    GoLauncher has this as well. In operation settings simply set the screen to vertical mode. It'll only switch to horizontal when they keyboard opens or when you use an app that forces horizontal (slingplayer for example).

I really encourage people to try GoLauncher if you're looking at launchers. It has every feature I've wanted so far and their design is just beautiful! :)

Search tags for this page
best android launcher for droid 3

best droid 3 launcher

best launcher app for droid 3
best launcher droid 3
best launchers for droid 3
droid 3 best launcher
droid 3 global launcher

droid 3 launcher

launcher droid 3
launchers for droid 3