What is your favorite launcher for the Droid 3?

darkmatter

Reaction score
I've found I actually prefer stock...

Kinda annoying since I have paid versions of all the launchers... even the Samsung one.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I've found I actually prefer stock...

Kinda annoying since I have paid versions of all the launchers... even the Samsung one.

I used the stock one for a few minutes. I thought people were complaining that it was slow to respond in some circumstances, like when closing apps. Also, I don't like that it doesn't allow more customization. For example, I think that the app drawer icon has to be on the right side of the dock, right? Not a big deal but then the dock also doesn't allow you two scroll it/swipe it so you can have many apps on the dock. Does the stock launcher let you add more rows/columns to the home screens or add/remove home screens?

DELUXDroid

Reaction score
ADW allows this behavior. In ADW's preferences, set the orientation to Portrait. The screen will not rotate to landscape unless the keyboard is opened.

I've probably said this before in this thread: ADW, Nemus, and Zeam are the only 3 launchers that I've found that require a reasonable set of privileges. I don't need my launcher to access my SMS, have full Internet access, etc. My current favorite is ADW but I have all 3 installed. Anyone know of any others that have reasonable privilege requirements?

GoLauncher has this as well. In operation settings simply set the screen to vertical mode. It'll only switch to horizontal when they keyboard opens or when you use an app that forces horizontal (slingplayer for example).

I really encourage people to try GoLauncher if you're looking at launchers. It has every feature I've wanted so far and their design is just beautiful! :)

DELUXDroid

Reaction score
I used the stock one for a few minutes. I thought people were complaining that it was slow to respond in some circumstances, like when closing apps. Also, I don't like that it doesn't allow more customization. For example, I think that the app drawer icon has to be on the right side of the dock, right? Not a big deal but then the dock also doesn't allow you two scroll it/swipe it so you can have many apps on the dock. Does the stock launcher let you add more rows/columns to the home screens or add/remove home screens?

No, the stock launcher completely sucks, is sluggish, and allows no customization.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
GoLauncher has this as well. In operation settings simply set the screen to vertical mode. It'll only switch to horizontal when they keyboard opens or when you use an app that forces horizontal (slingplayer for example).

I really encourage people to try GoLauncher if you're looking at launchers. It has every feature I've wanted so far and their design is just beautiful! :)

I used to love and recommend GO Launcher EX, but then I faced facts about the privileges that it requires. It bothers me that it phones home and there's just no reason that a home launcher needs to waste resources accessing the Internet. Now in the wake of the recent Dolphin HD spyware fiasco, I'm even more uptight about the privileges that I grant. I want to support devs that are responsible and get it right, not devs that spy on me and waste resources.

Say NO to GO!

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
I used to love and recommend GO Launcher EX, but then I faced facts about the privileges that it requires. It bothers me that it phones home and there's just no reason that a home launcher needs to waste resources accessing the Internet. Now in the wake of the recent Dolphin HD spyware fiasco, I'm even more uptight about the privileges that I grant. I want to support devs that are responsible and get it right, not devs that spy on me and waste resources.

Say NO to GO!

What happened with dolphin? Its been my default browser forever.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

NoBloatware

Reaction score
What happened with dolphin? Its been my default browser forever.

Here's where you can read the details: [PRIVACY] WARNING: Dolphin's collection of your browsing history - xda-developers

In summary, for the past several months Dolphin HD has been forwarding every URL you visit to one of their servers. That would be bad enough but they did it in such an incompetent way that it exposed all of the URLs, including https which uses encrypted URLs and parameters (including searches, and even logins and passwords in some cases). They gave a pretty lame excuse about needing to check every URL to see if it was one of 300 "webzines". Then, to top it off they announced that the problem had been fixed when it hadn't been!

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
Here's where you can read the details: [PRIVACY] WARNING: Dolphin's collection of your browsing history - xda-developers

In summary, for the past several months Dolphin HD has been forwarding every URL you visit to one of their servers. That would be bad enough but they did it in such an incompetent way that it exposed all of the URLs, including https which uses encrypted URLs and parameters (including searches, and even logins and passwords in some cases). They gave a pretty lame excuse about needing to check every URL to see if it was one of 300 "webzines". Then, to top it off they announced that the problem had been fixed when it hadn't been!

Wow, that's just great..I've been using dolphin strictly for almost 2 years. I guess its back to xscope our stock for me. Uninstalling now

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

DELUXDroid

Reaction score
What's the source on GoLauncher leaking data? I haven't heard that in the past and I'm pretty concerned about these types of things. Sometimes people exaggerate an update system or something and then start rumors. The Dolphin browser thing is confirmed, so I'd like to see some confirmation on this from somewhere?

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I'm not sure that GO is leaking much data. I have read that it "phones home" but haven't checked it myself. It was good enough for me that GO had Internet access and was wasting my bandwidth/battery for no reason.

Note, Dolphin HD version 7.02 has the tracking disabled.

bgarlock

Reaction score
Right now I am running ADW EX Launcher at the recommendation of another member...

I really liked it so far, might try a few others out down the road...

+1 on ADW EX Launcher. There's a "smoothness" to it that I didn't find in other launchers.

joshhh

Reaction score
If anyones up for something new, try out ice cream sandwich launcher. Its really cool for what it is, I mean, it isn't legitimate ics, but its pretty nice :)

Sent from my DROID3

AHiLdesigns

Reaction score
I've tried a few. Did OpenHome for awhile. Liked it, but it was awfully glitchy and started to feel out of date in terms of themes after awhile.

ADWLauncherEx
seems to be the most solid, reliable one I've used so far. Lots of themes, steady functionality, easy to use, lots of options. Kind of tired of the lame themes out there for it though. hope some new designers get into theming (or someone gets smart and gets in touch with me to design something).

Currently am on month 3 with Go Launcher Ex. There's some things I absolutely love about it, and some things I'm really not pleased about. I like the themes they're putting out... find them "refreshing", even if they're still missing more grown-up feeling themes. The customization is excellent (as are the availability of other add-on apps for widgets and phone features). They also update frequently! However, I really dislike the massive time it takes to load when opening folders and app drawer, and there have been a few times I've experienced general lagginess while transitioning screens.

Also wanted to give thoughts on the comment quoted below as an addendum.

I'm not sure that GO is leaking much data. I have read that it "phones home" but haven't checked it myself. It was good enough for me that GO had Internet access and was wasting my bandwidth/battery for no reason.

I'm sure it does phone home. While I don't advocate it, as a game developer on other platforms, I do understand that user-data is not only crucial to creating a definitively usable application---it's also really frick'n helpful. It's ridiculously hard to make decisions for thousands of people. Anyway, back on point: Go Launcher offers their own "Go Store" which I'm assuming is a web-based feature within the app. If that's the case, it's going to need internet permissions in order to access this feature and is going to have to run in the background in order to alert you to new themes, etc. I genuinely like having the Theme Store feature available, although I could do without the notifications. If they'd lose the notifications... it would solve your problems and my dislikes! lol

Hope that's helpful!