what is your app budget?

M

Matth3w

Funny how I hesitate so much to buy a $.99 or $1.99 app when I spend it so frivolously everywhere else. Food? Snack? Drink? Donation? Random crap I don't need but saw a deal for online? I will buy without even thinking twice.
Not sure why I think sooo hard before spending $.99 on an app that will make my experience so much better with something I use so often. Maybe I'm just cheap? Maybe I just want it for free? I guess that's just being cheap too.

Anyway, so far I've spent about $10. Will probably spend about $10-20 more after I get over this cheapo phase.
It boggles my mind why people are like this.

qoncept

Reaction score
Funny how I hesitate so much to buy a $.99 or $1.99 app when I spend it so frivolously everywhere else. Food? Snack? Drink? Donation?
If I feel that way about an app, I buy it and try it out. If I don't like it, I refund it. There are a million apps out there and only so much space and need. People may not like having their apps refunded but that policy has gotten me to buy things I never would have thought twice about otherwise.

qoncept

Reaction score
quote]It boggles my mind why people are like this.
It makes perfect sense to me. If you buy every $2 piece of crap you come across you're going to spend a fortune. What's silly is if you won't pay that for something you really want.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
If I feel that way about an app, I buy it and try it out. If I don't like it, I refund it. There are a million apps out there and only so much space and need. People may not like having their apps refunded but that policy has gotten me to buy things I never would have thought twice about otherwise.

I'm the same way. I don't try AS MANY as I might like to, but I've downloaded a few this week and tried them out for quite a while and ended up refunding them.

I think my biggest problem is that I'm not quite sure what all I want to be able to do with this phone. Also, I hate to pay even $1 for something that I'm not gonna use.

If I download 6 apps for $1 that I won't use, that's a meal or a pack of cigarettes (yeah, yeah, bad habit...). That may not be a lot to those of you in a solid career, but to us young bucks, that makes a difference. I live just a bit above paycheck to paycheck these days depending on which bills are due that week, so every little bit of saving is important to me...

M

Matth3w

It makes perfect sense to me. If you buy every $2 piece of crap you come across you're going to spend a fortune. What's silly is if you won't pay that for something you really want.
Yeah, but you can get a refund. Why the hesitation? I'm obivously not talking about going out and buying every single app for a buck that you can find, I'm just saying...at the minimum 99% of the people on this forum spent 200-220 bucks WITH a two year contract on their Droid...anyone like me that bought it unlocked with no contract spent upwards of 350-400 all the way up to 600 bucks depending where they got it and if it was used or not...and yet...people are hesitant to spend a buck on an app. That's hilarious.

I had someone PM me today a little peeved because in my rooting guide I failed to mention that SetCPU app was 99 cents on the market.

M

Matth3w

People that are perfectly content only using free apps are one thing I guess..but what is worse is that people complain about the cost of 1 dollar apps etc.

That's like me with my CTS-V with the LS6 motor...and then complaining because it takes more quarts of oil for a 5.7l engine than a 2.0l...you have to expect to pay something for some of the things related to the phone.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah, but you can get a refund. Why the hesitation? I'm obivously not talking about going out and buying every single app for a buck that you can find, I'm just saying...at the minimum 99% of the people on this forum spent 200-220 bucks WITH a two year contract on their Droid...anyone like me that bought it unlocked with no contract spent upwards of 350-400 all the way up to 600 bucks depending where they got it and if it was used or not...and yet...people are hesitant to spend a buck on an app. That's hilarious.

I had someone PM me today a little peeved because in my rooting guide I failed to mention that SetCPU app was 99 cents on the market.

Now THAT is FUNNY!

qoncept

Reaction score
I don't think there are any shortage of people on this board who have a phone and plan that isn't within their budget. Anyone that is waiting for their next paycheck to get a new case for their phone probably should have considered something else.

Edit: Of course, if they have no other bills or responsibilities I suppose it doesn't matter much.

nolanandy

Reaction score
I'm happy with all the free apps. If I pay, I would pay over $5 for any apps unless it's work related.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
There's a couple of ways of looking at it.

First is the "If you can't afford $2 on <insert app name here> maybe you can't afford owning a Droid." Of course the response is "I can afford the Droid because I don't spend money on stuff like that."

The second is what joneee said; we're willing to spend at least twice that for a Starbuck's coffee that'll be out of our body in a matter of hours, but don't want to spend the money on something that should last for months.

That being said, I'm willing to buy it if I need it. For example, I had Locale when it was free, but I don't need it enough to spend $10.

Last edited:

qoncept

Reaction score
I really only have a couple apps on my phone I wouldn't be willing to pay for. To me, the resources they take up on the phone are wort as much as the price people charge for them.

OP
S

StepDroid

Official DF Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
very interesting discussion..... didn't know there were so many cheap droid owners lol. if you use a free app then you should buy the paid version after a little while....

guys if we want better apps we are gonna have to support the quality developers. I have a couple of apps that I bought that I am just waiting for good updates for...
don't be cheap.

sc4fpse

Reaction score
I have a tendency to think I need something, so I buy it, but then I never use it. Luckily, I've restrained myself from falling victim to that tendency all that much. I've purchased one app -- Gameboid. I'd use it, but I just can't bring myself to play many more Gameboy games on my Droid, after my Pokemon save decided to corrupt itself after 40 hours over a week or so. ._. Oh well. I guess I supported the dev. :)

rstone

Reaction score
I've spent roughly $103 in apps, in over a month since I've had the phone. Although, I doubt that will be the norm, since I have most the apps I want already. However, if I see an app I want or need, I usually purchase it without giving it a second thought. So no I don't have a budget.:icon_ banana:

AndroidAppCritic

Reaction score
I'm a developer so for me, I like to support devs because I know how much work goes into creating, and much more importantly, maintaining an app. I've actually sought out donation links for developers who weren't even asking for them. Of course, the app has to be worth it. If I use an app I will purchase the full version, even if it only takes the ads off (which I don't even need because I use AdFree). You must understand that it takes a ridiculous amount of effort to maintain an app. If I had known how much time it was going to take me to maintain CacheMate I might never have published it and would have kept it for me and a few friends/family. I love the challenge and I've gotten a ton of good feedback but it's can be extremely time consuming.

If you can afford it, help out a dev. Most Android developers, and I know a lot of them, do not create their apps for major companies and are not exactly paying the mortgage from their app earnings. There are some very successful developers who might be but a good many do it for minimal return on investment. I do it because I like helping the community. The buck I charge for my app helps me know it's worth it. I have not gotten rich. In fact, if I add up the hours of development time I've actually lost money on the deal. People who complain games are too expensive at $4-5+ obviously don't remember pumping a thousand quarters into the arcade. :) If I'm kept busy even for a few hours from a game I will not refund it. But again, I'm a sympathetic developer and understand that times are difficult and not everyone can afford to spend money on apps. I've probably spent more than I should have.