what is wrong with the GPS?

tndroid

Reaction score
I see everyone has been talking about how wonderful the Droid GPS is. However, I am kinda pissed off by this Moto Droid GPS... I think the google map is fine, but why this Droid GPS always asks me to take a different (obviously wrong )direction/road in certain areas that I am family with? This area is not new and even my old Garmin Nuvi350 with 2004 map source can show the correct direction. Anyone has an idea? thanks! Merry X-mas!

tender82

Reaction score
Ya. Mine does the same. It eventually gets me there, but it's not the most direct or easiest route. I'm not sure what it's thinking.

Sorry I can't help you more.

REARless

Reaction score
I probably depends on where you are. I live in PA and I was surprised that the Google Navigation actually finds the "local" routes, (non Interstates). more than my Garmin Nuvi did.

tender82

Reaction score
I live in PA, too. It was finding local routes, but I didn't think the local route it was giving me was that good. It was really odd.

Oh, and on a side note, I was driving through Butler and it wanted me to take the exit towards 'Butter.' I found this hilarious!

Silver Member
Reaction score
It must have something to do with it being beta, working with maps.google and translating it into a google navigation.. something something...

the same thing happened to me recently, where it wanted to take me past the destination (the long way around). when i turned the "right" (short) way, it tried to revert me back to its directions.

remember that navigation is still in beta, and the first time that you start it up, the agreement clearly states that not all directions may be accurate.

Geofferson

Reaction score
Sometimes I am unable to get the GPS signal. It says, "locating GPS" or something like that. Also, during navigation I will lose the GPS signal sometimes. I live in the city too...

OP
T

tndroid

Reaction score
I just tried to get directions from maps.google.com, which are exactly the same as I got from this Moto Droid GPS. I tried mapquest, obviously, it gives me the correct routes which are the same as what i can get via my old Garmin... Therefore, I assume it is not a problem from satellite signal. How come the so-said "amazing google map" can not beat mapquest for this specific area?

GadgetRick

Reaction score
It must have something to do with it being beta, working with maps.google and translating it into a google navigation.. something something...

the same thing happened to me recently, where it wanted to take me past the destination (the long way around). when i turned the "right" (short) way, it tried to revert me back to its directions.

remember that navigation is still in beta, and the first time that you start it up, the agreement clearly states that not all directions may be accurate.

Pretty much ALL Google software is beta. Sorry, everyone wants to give them a pass for this. Gmail has been a beta version since it was released YEARS ago.

Not to mention they use this as a MAJOR selling point for the phone and their OS.

They have issues with their mapping algorithms. They have for years. They need to fix them. They have not for years.

With that said, I love my Droid and I love Maps. Just wish they'd fix it.

Steve H

Reaction score
I have not found a nav gps that is correct where I live. We have tried GM (OnStar), TomTom, Garmin and Google. NONE of them are correct. I have been told that there are only two companies in the U.S. and they supply the mapping info to all the GPS companies. They both have my area (Southern Utah) wrong.

Silver Member
Reaction score
navteq is the #1 supplier of gps mapping.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I live in Los Angeles and the GPS has been stellar. I'm not sure what causes the discrepancies in different areas of the country.

Some people swear by it others (such as yourself) have some issues.

It's free though so I wouldn't complain too much : )

J

Johnly

Mine has worked flawlessly, and I have used it for about 200 mile so far. D-town. Just hit the map button before you navigate sillies. Then you can actually see it the route works for ya....cool.

MrBaz

Reaction score
I don't use it a ton, but it works better than my $500 Mio standalone Nav system.

isitkiller

Reaction score
Exactly, mine did the same. It does this on the exit for my home.
It shows previous exit. Then I continue to go on the next exit
and it recalculates to take me back on the highway, showing
wrong exit.

It only corrects it if I choose "alternate route".
Pretty stupid! I handle this since it is near my house
but if I am going some place, I'm sure it will make me
go round and round.

jcrusor

Reaction score
Today was the first I had an issue with the Nav app. It took a long time to find me on the map and then it lost signal several times before my destination. I am sure they will fix this in the near future. I won't complain too much since it is a free app and better than the iphone apps on their first try.