What is wrong with my battery?

rtb

Reaction score
I had a full charge this morning at 7. It is now 9:45 and my battery is only a third of the way full. I'm not even using it for anything! It's like the battery's being drained very quickly. Anyone know what might be going on? It doesn't do this everyday.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Alittle more info is required. Do you have GPS, Wifi, and bluetooth turned on?

Stigy

Reaction score
Do you have applications running in the background?

If you start your phone up fresh at 7AM I bet it won't drop as quickly.

Check Menu > Settings > Applications > Running services and see what is running in the background.

OP
R

rtb

Reaction score
Where is running services? I don't see it. Wi-Fi is off, GPS is on? I don't know, and Bluetooth is off.

Also how do i set to never receive emails every time i post on this forum? It's really annoying.

Last edited:

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok again this is my bad, It's early in the morning and didn't see this was an eris. This unfortunately is a common problem with the eris. It's pure talk time is only 214 minutes. Little less then 3 hours, so if there are programs and things running the background that require data, such as IM programs, or anything to that effect, it will eat your battery up. Alot of eris users are frustrated at the small charge time they get out of their unit, a few upset enough to just return it.

OP
R

rtb

Reaction score
Ok again this is my bad, It's early in the morning and didn't see this was an eris. This unfortunately is a common problem with the eris. It's pure talk time is only 214 minutes. Little less then 3 hours, so if there are programs and things running the background that require data, such as IM programs, or anything to that effect, it will eat your battery up. Alot of eris users are frustrated at the small charge time they get out of their unit, a few upset enough to just return it.

Yeah, it's just strange because it works fine most days but randomly just decides to drain the battery. Not running any apps that I know about.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you don't use the GPS for anything, I would suggest turning that off to see if that makes a difference.

OP
R

rtb

Reaction score
Battery's already in the orange. This is ridiculous.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Battery's already in the orange. This is ridiculous.

How long do you normally get out of your battery with the eris?

Usually a full 24 hrs or more with normal use. I don't know what is going on.

Then you are one of the very few that with normal usage you get 24 hours of out it. Heck I barely get 24 hours out of my droid battery with normal usage.

Jolest

Reaction score
Where is running services? I don't see it. Wi-Fi is off, GPS is on? I don't know, and Bluetooth is off.

Turn GPS, WiFi, and Bluetooth off when you're not using them. All three are battery drainers.

I'd suggest adding the three HTC Widgets for controlling those features to one of your home screens. They provide a clear status indication (instead of having to figure out what the tiny notification icons all mean). They also give you a one-touch way to turn them on and off.

Also, if you're in a weak signal area, the Mobile web can be a power hog as well. I'd suggest adding the HTC widget for that feature to the same home page to make it easy to disable when your battery level gets low (to extend your basic phone time...).

SBacklin

Reaction score
I have to say that either HTC, Google or both really dropped the ball here. How can you possibly make a device that has such bad battery life? I get really upset when people say turn this off and turn that off....such as mobile data for syncing, notifications, gps, etc. What is the point of having a smartphone if you have to turn such things off? That kind of defeats the purpose of having a smartphone. I really have only 3 issues with my Eris. The battery life of course is one. The second thing is when my phone is off and plugged into the charger, the amber light never turns green unless I unplug it and plug it back in (assuming the battery is actually full) and lastly, there isn't any set way to actually "close" applications without having to run another program to do that. Wth?

Jolest

Reaction score
I have to say that either HTC, Google or both really dropped the ball here. How can you possibly make a device that has such bad battery life? I get really upset when people say turn this off and turn that off....such as mobile data for syncing, notifications, gps, etc. What is the point of having a smartphone if you have to turn such things off? That kind of defeats the purpose of having a smartphone. I really have only 3 issues with my Eris. The battery life of course is one. The second thing is when my phone is off and plugged into the charger, the amber light never turns green unless I unplug it and plug it back in (assuming the battery is actually full) and lastly, there isn't any set way to actually "close" applications without having to run another program to do that. Wth?
I agree regarding Mobile web. HTC and Verizon both are engaging in false advertising if they want to insist that the rated standby-runtime of a smartphone doesn't include background use of "Mobile web". This is not a reasonable definition of "standby" for a smartphone.

But, I can't agree with you regarding GPS, WiFi, and Bluetooth. All three are battery hogs on all phones and turning them off when not in use is just common sense.

SBacklin

Reaction score
I agree regarding Mobile web. HTC and Verizon both are engaging in false advertising if they want to insist that the rated standby-runtime of a smartphone doesn't include background use of "Mobile web". This is not a reasonable definition of "standby" for a smartphone.

But, I can't agree with you regarding GPS, WiFi, and Bluetooth. All three are battery hogs on all phones and turning them off when not in use is just common sense.
I don't keep GPS, WiFi, Bluethooth and keep them off. I was just saying that if its becoming almost a requirement to use such services they shouldn't be using so much battery power. These devices are simply under-powered.