While at work I got the following battery usage stats:

Media Server 20
Phone Idle 19
Cell Standyby 15
Media 14
Display 10
Android System 10
Android OS 3

My phone has been on fire at work whenever I use the STOCK media player recently. I am rooted and I have reached 143F. My battery will barely last me from 745-noon these days, when I used to be able to keep it running until quitting time and the battery temp not reach a degree over 105.

HELP!

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
what rom and what kernel are u using? try restoring to a previous backup to see if that fixes anything

OP
N

nygh

Reaction score
what rom and what kernel are u using? try restoring to a previous backup to see if that fixes anything

Im with Adamz Smoked Glass v6.0

I will try that.

OP
N

nygh

Reaction score
New advancement:

It only gets hot and kills battery when using the stock music player. I was surfing the web, using Twitter for about an hour tonight and it didnt get over 105 and the battery only lost like 20% power.

Is there a such thing as a battery leak that a malicious app could cause? Or am I some kind of a neurotic?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
yes poorly designed apps will drain the battery unnecessarily but i dont think itd be the stock music player. kinda weird..

any other apps you recently installed that might be the culprit?

OP
N

nygh

Reaction score
yes poorly designed apps will drain the battery unnecessarily but i dont think itd be the stock music player. kinda weird..

any other apps you recently installed that might be the culprit?

I had a spree where I was looking for the perfect music app awhile back. Downloaded '3' (cube music player) and Nemo player from a thread on this site that provided an .apk from another phone I believe.

I uninstalled both of those awhile ago but am still having problems. Could the leak still occur after they were installed?

The only other relatively new apps I have are reverse lookup, classic simon, credit card payoff and trirecorder. Any known issues with any of these?

OP
N

nygh

Reaction score
Okay, so crap...I figured it out and wanted to explain in case anyone else is going through the same situation.

It has only been happening at work, I should have mentioned that. I looked at my battery usage again today and I was at 30 Stand by and 25 phone idle...so I began to wonder...

I think, for some reason, my office building has put up some kind of block on cell phone signals recently, because I have been roaming much more often than usual. I also recall from reading these forums that putting the phone in a locker can cause the battery to drain quickly. I think my job is causing my phone to search for a signal much more now.

My test was putting it in airplane mode, and sure enough, ran my media player for 4 hours and it barely grazed 50% battery.

I do have a question, though....is there a way to stop my phone from searching for signals so strongly? An app or setting or something?