What is with the GPS icon?

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I never paid much attention, but I'm assuming that the icon that is next to the wireless icon to the left, is the GPS. However, I can't get it to go away. Used task killer to stop everything yet it remains. Thoughts?

uploadfromtaptalk1332202584616.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I never paid much attention, but I'm assuming that the icon that is next to the wireless icon to the left, is the GPS. However, I can't get it to go away. Used task killer to stop everything yet it remains. Thoughts?

View attachment 48410

I don't mean to imply a lack of understanding or lack of familiarity with your phone, but did you go into settings, Location & Security and then un-check Standalone GPS Services? Or am I misunderstanding your question...perhaps you are only asking if the icon can be removed but GPS still remains active?

Would love to help but I don't think I am 100% sure what you are asking.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
You might have an app keeping it active. That's my only guess.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

So what you believe is he's only concerned that the icon is there all the time? OK, so then your answer is correct. There has to be SOMETHING calling for location or asking GPS to maintain active status. Could be something such as Social Location, Places or Latitude for instance? Again like forumjunkie44 said, it's a guess.

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I figured it was an app but I went through and force closed anything I thought that MIGHT use it one by one trying to see which it was. When it failed to kill it, and here's the one that got me, I turned off the GPS from the widget and in Settings... and the icon remained. That's when I decided to reboot.

I guess my biggest concern was that with the battery life what it is, I certainly didn't want something constantly searching for my location unnecessarily.

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
Once on my bionic I opened Maps, but I backed out of the app before it could find my location and the GPS icon wouldn't go away. I just opened maps again, let it find me, exited the app, and it went away.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
GPS shows up on my Bionic every time I open it up and yes, I do indeed use latitude. From what I can see a lot of apps these days use it as well. But GPS use on my battery? Zero. Sometimes Maps may use 2%.

Andielyn

Reaction score
GPS shows up on my Bionic every time I open it up and yes, I do indeed use latitude. From what I can see a lot of apps these days use it as well. But GPS use on my battery? Zero. Sometimes Maps may use 2%.

So when folks say GPS is a battery killer do you mean turn by turn navigation? I'm also using Lattitude and not showing a battery usage from it being on and also same as you with maps (2%)