What is with Swype?

Dolly

Reaction score
Suddenly I now have to enter my Swype password to unlock my phone and my Samsung Galaxy tablet. I don't want this, but can't find a way to disable. Anyone else with this problem?

Last edited by a moderator:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not seeing anywhere to even enable, or even why you'd need to, a Swype password, much less how to disable.
Are you saying your device now needs an unlock code to unlock?

Support Our Troops! !!!
<><
From a Beano

OP
D

Dolly

Reaction score
Yes I have to enter a SWYPE pw to unlock. This started on my tablet a few weeks ago and now on my phone. If I uninstall swype it doesn't require pw.

Caesars

Reaction score
Do you have a screen lock password/pattern? Are you the only user of your gadgets? It sounds like someone's playing with you lol.

:-(

GS4/iPhone5

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes I have to enter a SWYPE pw to unlock. This started on my tablet a few weeks ago and now on my phone. If I uninstall swype it doesn't require pw.

That's just weird since Swype is totally independent of your lock screen.
Edit: I went to the Swype forum and from what I gather older versions of Swype actually do interact with the lock screen.
Their solution was to make sure you've got the latest updates to the beta (1.49) or Play Store version (1.5.6) . If using an oem version you're at the mercy of the firmware provider since it's tired into it and not an add on app so if you're using an oem I'd suggest freeze it (disable) and try either the beta or paid version. If you're using a pre 1.3 version of Swype beta, try uninstall both it and the Swype installer app, go to Swype website and get the new beta, which doesn't require the installer and will allow install of version 1.4.9
Hope that helps
Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

Last edited: