What is tiered data?

Bravesfan319

Reaction score
I've seen people talk about "tiered data", but I have no idea what it is. Could somebody explain it to me please?

Thanks =)

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Right now we have unlimited data for our smartphones, meaning there is no limit to how much data we can use monthly...vzw is going to introduce tiered data plans sometime this summer wherein customers will buy data allotments at different pricepoints. for example 2GB for $25 or something. Supposedly they're doing away with unlimited completely, at least according to the latest thing I read.

VideoGameMatt

Reaction score
Right now we have unlimited data for our smartphones, meaning there is no limit to how much data we can use monthly...vzw is going to introduce tiered data plans sometime this summer wherein customers will buy data allotments at different pricepoints. for example 2GB for $25 or something. Supposedly they're doing away with unlimited completely, at least according to the latest thing I read.

you forgot to mention the fact that if you go over your limit they will crush you with overage fees. What is really infuriating is that the tiered data will be on the super fast 4G. What is the point of all that speed if you are gonna run out it in a day of use?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

you forgot to mention the fact that if you go over your limit they will crush you with overage fees. What is really infuriating is that the tiered data will be on the super fast 4G. What is the point of all that speed if you are gonna run out it in a day of use?

Meh I've never even used half a gig in a month.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I wanted to make a speculative point about the data overage fees,

The cost for a company to send/recieve a text message is somewhere near 1/1000th of a cent. If you dont have a txting plan, they charge you like 50 cents per txt sent/recieved. Depending on the plan, overages (unless unlimited) cost less and less but still net the company like 8000-15000% profit from each txt. Now imagine if these figures were applied directly to data, and at VZW's 4G speeds.

I want to cry :(

OP
Bravesfan319

Bravesfan319

Reaction score
That sucks... And I use pandora ALL the time... Which uses a ton of data... Is there anyway that if I keep renewing my contact that I could be grandfathered into keeping unlimited?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
doubtful, they could argue that signing up for 4G is a new contract, and thus you wouldn't be eligible to be grandfathered...i guess if you stay on 3G forever, you'd be grandfathered into that.

kookk

Reaction score
Do data charges apply to wifi? Like downloading apps and such?

Sent from my DROID X2

OP
Bravesfan319

Bravesfan319

Reaction score
doubtful, they could argue that signing up for 4G is a new contract, and thus you wouldn't be eligible to be grandfathered...i guess if you stay on 3G forever, you'd be grandfathered into that.

I doubt that 4g will be available for BFE missouri anytime soon... Lol.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

probably not :D, but you can still get a 4G phone, which requires 4G service, which will be tiered, which they can argue will be a new contract...doesn't matter if you actually have 4G service

OP
Bravesfan319

Bravesfan319

Reaction score

probably not :D, but you can still get a 4G phone, which requires 4G service, which will be tiered, which they can argue will be a new contract...doesn't matter if you actually have 4G service

Dang... I guess I can call verizon and see when it will be. I can upgrade whenever I think, I'm just trying to see which phones come out and when 4g will hit my area. If the dinc2 had 4g, I woulda already bought it lol

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Dang... I guess I can call verizon and see when it will be. I can upgrade whenever I think, I'm just trying to see which phones come out and when 4g will hit my area. If the dinc2 had 4g, I woulda already bought it lol

yeah i actually was surprised that 4G was coming to one of the cities I'm always in because it's completely boondocks, so you never know, you might be getting it sooner then you think

OP
Bravesfan319

Bravesfan319

Reaction score
Yeah, I checked the "coverage locator" on the website, and it was nowhere near me, and there were only a few spots of coverage within a 50 mile radius. It'd be nice if they came out with the dinc 3 wit 4g before my contact expires in january or may... Oh well