what is this

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Welcome to the forums Kingmeow, I am sure you will enjoy your stay.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX.

kingmeow

Reaction score
Thank you for the warm welcome 94lt1, Sydman and SallyC. Critical Care Nursing huh? Man, talk about a stressful job! Well, I'm in the pharma business so I make the drugs that you used to dispense. :)

After one short day of testing, here are some additional data points. I still have yet to give Open Signals some time to see what I can discover with it. However, I am glad to report that I may have "solved" the problem in my case but sadly don't have the root cause yet (research continues). So last evening, I created another Smart Action and charged up the battery to 100%. I created the Home action where if the GPS detects that I'm home, it shuts off data via cellular since I'm on WiFi anyway. Guess, what? No RILD (well, kind of, read on) and my battery went down only 8% over night. I do have an Overnight action where I shut down most services from 11pm to 6:30am every day.

Before I had this RILD problem, overnight battery drain was typically 10%, now it's 8% - even better! I am going to continue to keep this Home action for the next few days and see if the excellent pattern continues and if RILD comes back.

Now RILD did not show up in the Settings-Battery Information but it did appear with GSAM (formerly Bad Ass Battery Monitor). It shows that it used 0.5%, far less than the typical 10%+ when it was a run away process. Before I went to bed last night, I checked GSAM and RILD showed a 0.2% usage. So overnight it gained another 0.3%, not bad. And my phone has been full on since 6:30am (it's now 9am) when the Overnight action stopped. I doubt that RILD will ramp up again. The pattern that I have detected in the past is if you get rid of it with which ever method you want, it gets reactivated within the hour.

Taking a step back, before I implemented the Home action, I tried a power on/off, clear cache and soft boot (don't remember the order) and got rid of RILD but it came back within the hour and was climbing the % usage chart, quickly catching up to the top process.

SallyC, I have one question for you to clear up a statement you made below. When you said that WiFi didn't help you, did you turn off cellular DATA? Once I turned off cellular data, I no longer had 4G LTE (or 3G) but my phone worked as normal for voice. And since it still works normally for voice with my Home action, I think it's the data portion of the signal that is giving me my RILD problem. Once I realized that turning off cellular data didn't afftect voice and I have WiFi at home, it didn't matter to me then if I see the 4G or 3G on the status bar. :)

I will be running back and forth today helping my brother-in-law move in the next town over. It will be interesting to see what my phone usage looks like at the end of the day.

I will report back. Hope I'm not boring you folks with my experience. :D

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
kingmeow said:
I will report back. Hope I'm not boring you folks with my experience. :D

Boring us? Absolutely not! This issue has plagued many with questions still on what fixes it. I think SallyC had been trying to research this and figure it out the most with the most success. Having someone else with her tenacity is super! We are happy to have you!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

SallyC

Reaction score
I do believe I did try disabling my 3G/4G and thought it helped for a bit but then rild was back so I don't think it did. Part of the problem was rild seemed to have no pattern - until I got OpenSources. Then I could see that when my phone started going far away trying to get a tower, that's when rild appeared. But it was intermittent.

It might be different for you. But the tower was what it was for me. And since I've gotten the network extender and the tower issue isn't a problem anymore, I have not seen rild.

kingmeow

Reaction score
Bingo! Success! (But only as a work around.)

I just got back from a day of moving over in the next town, going back to my house to pick up additional material, driving to JFK airport in NYC to pick up my parents, having a quick dinner in Chinatown, NYC and finally back home in suburbia NJ.

Here are my data points:

• Since taking off the charger last night until now, only 38% of the battery has been consumed. That's 28 hours!
  • My Home Smart Action works fantastically! Shuts off my 3G/4G each time I arrive home throughout the day (takes a few minutes to activate).
  • RILD only showed up as 0.6% this morning when I checked and it's still at 0.6% tonight when I got home. Assmption is that it never kicked in today.
  • I was in various 3G, 4G, no G ("1x") areas throughout my travels today and RILD did not show up!
  • Given my current burn rate, I should be able to get close to 60 hours - something that was the norm for the past two months before I had the RILD problem.

This is leading me to believe that something changed in my area. Perhaps VZ changed something to a nearby tower (e.g., shutting it down for maintenance, etc.) so now I will break out Open Signals and see if I can detect a pattern.

In the mean time, I'm quite happy with my workaround to stomp out RILD. But my search for the root cause continues. I will continue running with Home Smart Action to see if disabling cellular data at home is a permanent "fix".

kingmeow

Reaction score
After running down one battery cycle I got the following:

• Enabled Home Smart Action to turn cellular data off when at home and to use WiFi only.
  • No run away RILD process though RILD did show up on GSAM but only 0.6% battery usage in the total cycle.
  • Phone was in areas of 3G, 4G, 1x and home WiFi and switching between all was flawless.
  • No dropped calls, hung internet access, etc.
And here's the kicker, My battery was at 16% before I put it back on the charger and I got 2D 22H of on time, the highest ever since I bought it two months ago!

Now to do some tower investigation but I will continue to monitor the next few charge cycles to see if RILD has truly been squashed.