what is this

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
What is interesting is that it seems, thanks to Sally's investigative work, that we understand the RILD problem better than those at the motorola forum. Reading through the thread over there, no one seems to know the real purpose of rild or what causes it to spike. I think those people should come over to droid forums.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

Some of US are on the DROID forums :) yes its true.. I'm a double agent. I was there first. But I don't do or say much over there.

I like it here. But Its not terrible over there. :cool: :p

Also I feel like I fit in here.. I'm a little out there for the moto forums.. jk.. there are some nice people over there too :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
http://qurl.org/PR1

^^ Issues with RILD in the Samsung Galaxy S

My guess is the issue can be seen in logs reported for those with RILD issues. I need someone to get me a log of their phone while RILD is running rampant, and with that and the information below, I may be able to isolate the problem.

Very nice Slideshow for Android Telephony (showing RILD and relationship in telephony).

<div style="width:425px" id="__ss_7456179"> <strong style="display:block;margin:12px 0 4px"><a href="http://www.slideshare.net/ssusere3af56/android-radio-layer-interface" title="Android Radio Layer Interface" target="_blank">Android Radio Layer Interface</a></strong> <iframe src="http://www.slideshare.net/slideshow/embed_code/7456179" width="425" height="355" frameborder="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen></iframe> <div style="padding:5px 0 12px"> View more <a href="http://www.slideshare.net/thecroaker/death-by-powerpoint" target="_blank">PowerPoint</a> from <a href="http://www.slideshare.net/ssusere3af56" target="_blank">俊又 王</a> </div> </div>

And another here:

<div style="width:425px" id="__ss_4683413"> <strong style="display:block;margin:12px 0 4px"><a href="http://www.slideshare.net/dpsmarques/android-telephony-stack" title="Android telephony stack" target="_blank">Android telephony stack</a></strong> <iframe src="http://www.slideshare.net/slideshow/embed_code/4683413" width="425" height="355" frameborder="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen></iframe> <div style="padding:5px 0 12px"> View more <a href="http://www.slideshare.net/" target="_blank">presentations</a> from <a href="http://www.slideshare.net/dpsmarques" target="_blank">David Marques</a> </div> </div>

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
94lt1 said:
Some of US are on the DROID forums :) yes its true.. I'm a double agent. I was there first. But I don't do or say much over there.

I like it here. But Its not terrible over there. :cool: :p

Also I feel like I fit in here.. I'm a little out there for the moto forums.. jk.. there are some nice people over there too :)

Well, I have to admit that I based my opinion on that one thread bc it is the only one I have read on there so not really a fair assessment but I do still find it amazing how great everyone is here no matter where you are on the spectrum... Newbie or novice. Now if I could get that forum on my new tapatalk app, I would be checking it out more.

SallyC

Reaction score
Well, I have to admit that I based my opinion on that one thread bc it is the only one I have read on there so not really a fair assessment but I do still find it amazing how great everyone is here no matter where you are on the spectrum... Newbie or novice. Now if I could get that forum on my new tapatalk app, I would be checking it out more.

Yes, I agree with you that there are other good forums, but DroidForums is really the best. Very good place to learn no matter how much or little you know.

And also that Tapatalk is the way to go. They just need to roll out Like support for DroidForums now!

mysticalmalissa

Reaction score
No worries, ricks. I just downloaded an app called OpenSignals. It tells you what tower you're connecting to, signal strength, etc. You can also break your connection and try to connect to a stronger tower. I can connect to one in Michigan that's about 45 min away, which is better than across the lake, but I can't connect to the tower by me it seems. I wonder if they're having problems. Interesting app.

I just downloaded this app and am puzzled. It shows me working off of a tower in a town where vzw doesnt work. LOL

Dark_Wizard

Reaction score
I just posted this over at the motorola forums:
@ sallyc, Have you seen it specifically around certains times of day? The reason for this question based on my research, testing etc.. seems to what I feel is congested towers, i.e. if the RILD cannot establish a handshake with a tower the phone will try to connect to another which may be farther away and have a severely degraded signal level causing RILD to consume much more battery to make and maintain the connection.

Another thing I wanted to point out is that a friend who lives a couple of doors down from me just got a Razr Maxx. He has not seen nor is it showing when I compared our phones side by side the RILD issue. My phone showed 45% RILD and his wasn't even on the screen! Maybe it is SIM card related, i.e a bad batch now showing it's ugly head?

SallyC

Reaction score

Not to start duplicating threads, but since you've posted the question here, I did reply to you that I haven't looked at the times of day but the times I've noticed it have been morning and afternoon. By evening I'm often not paying as much attention to my phone.
I think your thought is valid though because I wasn't having a problem with this up until a few weeks ago. Coincidentally, I live in an area where many people resort durning the summer and we're getting a lot of "snow birds" back.

I had high rild use this morning, then had to drive east into a large metropolitan area - rild dropped down to 0.1%. Now that I'm back home it's up to about 4%. I've seen it much higher and maybe it will get there yet. So I'm fairly confident that mine is related to towers.

SallyC

Reaction score
I just downloaded this app and am puzzled. It shows me working off of a tower in a town where vzw doesnt work. LOL

I've had some interesting readings as well. Last night I went riding around with the app running just to see which towers I was connecting to (I need to get a life, lol!). I NEVER connected to the only one I drive by on my way home, which is about 10 miles away. I did connect to something closer to my house, located in a resort campground. Funny thing is I don't see any tower in the campground. But as I'd drive by the arrow would point right at it. It's possible it's back there someplace, or else I'm wondering if they have a signal booster in there for their campers - which might account for why this started up for me in the last month. It's tourist season here and there are a lot of campers.

Maybe a signal booster would help me, who knows. Fortunately my problem is at home, and I can always plug it in.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Maybe it is SIM card related, i.e a bad batch now showing it's ugly head?

I would have to say, no. A SIM card is essentially a version of an SD Card in its function. It contains information to authenticate you on the towers, and once that information is conveyed, its job is done.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I've had some interesting readings as well. Last night I went riding around with the app running just to see which towers I was connecting to (I need to get a life, lol!). I NEVER connected to the only one I drive by on my way home, which is about 10 miles away. I did connect to something closer to my house, located in a resort campground. Funny thing is I don't see any tower in the campground. But as I'd drive by the arrow would point right at it. It's possible it's back there someplace, or else I'm wondering if they have a signal booster in there for their campers - which might account for why this started up for me in the last month. It's tourist season here and there are a lot of campers.

Maybe a signal booster would help me, who knows. Fortunately my problem is at home, and I can always plug it in.

You have done some incredible (geekish) investigative work. It may very well be that your situation is related to a Cellular Repeater that's in the camp ground.

huskur

Reaction score
I drove to the tower that the app said I was connected to about 14 blocks from my house. Took me right to a church with nothing in sight. Weird

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huskur, they are installing Cell Sites inside Church Spires. They installed one near me that gave me 3G at my house a couple years back, before that I had no service. It's quite interesting. I actually saw the Spire laying in the parking lot while the other one was being taken down. When I asked the crew what was going on, they showed me and I was genuinely impressed. 2 weeks later, I had 3-4 of 5 bars at my house!

http://qurl.org/dR1

http://qurl.org/eR1

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Let me tell ya though, vzw is a pita to lease a tower to. They change their minds every other day about stupid little issues. From what I hear ;)

huskur

Reaction score