what is this

SallyC

Reaction score
For me, the best I can tell, high rild is related to the phone and what tower I'm connecting to. I live on the south east corner of Lake Michigan. There are not a lot of towers here for a variety of reason. The closest (only?) one I know of is 10 miles to my east, and if I connect there I have no problem with rild and my battery easily lasts all day. But if it connects to the tower about 90 miles west of me (across the lake), I have very high rild and my battery might not even last the morning. I can tell this is the problem because my display clock is showing Central, not Eastern, time.

I just wish I knew why it does it and could make it stop.

SallyC

Reaction score
If it is a 4G issue, turn off the 4G and use 3G.

I thought I had tried this without success before, but after reading your post I thought I'd give it another try since it'd been a high rild day. So I put it on CDMA only, turned off the phone then back on (just to make my battery app start with a clean slate) and it's been running for several hours now without rild even showing up. Hopefully this may be a workaround!

SallyC

Reaction score
If it is a 4G issue, turn off the 4G and use 3G.

I was hopeful this would do it, but no joy. This morning was fine but this afternoon I noticed my battery dropping rapidly, the wrong time being displayed, and the odious 'rild' back with high battery use. :icon_evil:

So it's not a 4G issue - at least for me.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I was hopeful this would do it, but no joy. This morning was fine but this afternoon I noticed my battery dropping rapidly, the wrong time being displayed, and the odious 'rild' back with high battery use. :icon_evil:

So it's not a 4G issue - at least for me.

The wrong time?? As in the clock??? Weird..

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

ricks

Reaction score
I keep hearing this "rild" thing has to do something with 4G. I keep 4G off when I'm home, I'm home all the time and don't get 4G where I live and I have never seen "rild" on my maxx. And I hope I never do...

SallyC

Reaction score
The wrong time?? As in the clock??? Weird..

Yeah, that's how I know it's picking up the tower across the lake - showing Central time instead of Eastern. But that lake's about 90 miles across so that has to be making my phone work harder. I'm totally ignorant on this topic so I really have no idea. But I do see rild when this is going on so I'm guessing that's it. I went to CDMA only yesterday and hoped that would solve it, but apparently it doesn't matter.

ricks

Reaction score
Yeah, that's how I know it's picking up the tower across the lake - showing Central time instead of Eastern. But that lake's about 90 miles across so that has to be making my phone work harder. I'm totally ignorant on this topic so I really have no idea. But I do see rild when this is going on so I'm guessing that's it. I went to CDMA only yesterday and hoped that would solve it, but apparently it doesn't matter.

Is the LTE off or on?

huskur

Reaction score
Are you using a dock? Rild is your problem. Do a simulated battery pull, hold volume down and power at the same time, until the phone shuts off, then release and the phone will power back up.

This is a known issue, and it comes from using a dock from what I've read and heard.

Hope this helps?

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! XPARENT BLUE!!!

I have "rild" using my battery also. Sometimes alot sometimes little. FYI--- My phone has never seen a dock!

Last edited by a moderator:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I have "rild" using my battery also. Sometimes alot sometimes little. FYI--- My phone has never seen a dock!

You're right. But in some of the threads I had been reading in this and other forums, it appeared to be a possibility.. now its known not to ve related :)

SallyC

Reaction score
No worries, ricks. I just downloaded an app called OpenSignals. It tells you what tower you're connecting to, signal strength, etc. You can also break your connection and try to connect to a stronger tower. I can connect to one in Michigan that's about 45 min away, which is better than across the lake, but I can't connect to the tower by me it seems. I wonder if they're having problems. Interesting app.