What is this crazy MAC address?

OP
alex_sisk

alex_sisk

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus
Moral of the off-topic story - I trust Google, but not those companies who modify their OS.

Alex

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm a bit of a purist myself. Did a stint with a couple Samsung phones in a row, but then I got back into stock Android with the 6P & now the Pixel.

They all offer something different. Just have to decide what you like.

Sent from my Pixel XL

OP
alex_sisk

alex_sisk

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus
It has to do with Quality Control. Some of my friends drive OLD POS cars to save money, and trust me - I'm not wealthy. But what I noticed is that they somehow don't even care about the plethora of vibrations and other problems that I immediately can't help myself from noticing the second I get in the car.

Point is, some people are OK with setting the bar low, and you really don't know what the QC standards are with the many Android distributors.

Thing is, I use tons of other Google services, and I'm always impressed, so I imagine their QC views are pretty serious.

Alex

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm glad you've had that kind of experience. I can tell you first-hand that Google has pushed it's share of crap updates to devices. I've been using Android phones almost exclusively since 2008. Even phones that shipped with stock Android like the OG Droid had some serious issues with updates.

It used to be our number one recommendation on this forum to do a factory reset after an update, because there were always bugs that that would clear up. That meant setting the phone up from scratch back then.

Sent from my Pixel XL

OP
alex_sisk

alex_sisk

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus
Yeah - same went with the iPhones earlier on, but somehow I still find myself spending more time using my iPhone/Apple TV and less time troubleshooting them in comparison to this Shield.

BUT!! The update from the 23rd finally solved almost (1 remains) all of my issues.

How has your Pixel XL been?

Alex

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's been great. No real complaints at this point. Got the Daydream VR headset with it, too. Fun little thing to play around with.