What is this crazy MAC address?

alex_sisk

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus
Running Nougat on my SHIELD TV (got it earlier than others SHIELD owners due to a tech support issue - but I'm aware it's been out for a while. For some reason I'm blocked on the Nvidia forums - it says it's a common occurrence due to "industrial strength spam filters" and to post a message on this one thread, but they haven't done anything in like 2 days.)

Everything in my house is hooked up via Ethernet, and this MAC address is cray.

MAC-48 aka EUI-48 example: 01:23:45:67:89:ab

The following network technologies use the MAC-48 / EUI-48 identifier format:
and a few more that I didn't care to list.

Any idea?

Attachments

• IMG_4268.JPG
    IMG_4268.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 392

derobert

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
That's not a MAC address, it's an IP address. An IPv6 link-local address to be specific.

OP
alex_sisk

alex_sisk

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus
Well that explains it. I wonder what the purpose of Nougat displaying that is. (Though I don't remember whether or not it was there on Marshmallow.)

I was attempting to assign static IPs by reservation via MAC address to my non-mobile devices. Still haven't figured out what the MAC address is. It's not under IP settings.

Alex

derobert

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
It's displayed for the same reason the IPv4 address is, I suspect.

You should be able to find its MAC address from your DHCP server (since you know the IP address). Or from any other machine on the network by pinging it then checking the ARP (or neighbor discovery for v6) cache. Doesn't even matter if it responds to the ping.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
alex_sisk

alex_sisk

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus
Not familiar with IPv6 in the slightest though obviously I've seen it referenced in numerous network settings screens.

Anyway, yeah - I'll check from the other end. Thanks!

Alex

OP
alex_sisk

alex_sisk

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus
After my insanely bad experience with Nvidia, I would only ever buy an Android phone from Google. Harmony exists much more quickly when hardware and software creators are one and the same.

If I hadn't recently purchased an iPhone 7 Plus (though I love it) I would try your Pixel XL!

Alex

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I've been very pleased with my NVidia tablet & I hear great things about the shield TV. There has to be a way to find the MAC address.

Did you ever check from the other end? If you've got it connected to your router, most routers have a connected devices list that should show you the MAC of each.

Sent from my Pixel XL

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
That's what derobert was talking about a few posts so. On most basic home networks, the router acts the DHCP server.

Sent from my Pixel XL

OP
alex_sisk

alex_sisk

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus
I just slapped myself for forgetting something so darn obvious. Thanks dude.

Yeah the Shield TV is finally decent with 5.0, but the PRIMARY reasons I bought it were H.265/HEVC video decoding and high res audio passthrough.

The audio passthrough didn't work. Turns out it was an issue affecting those with certain TVs and receivers only, but enough that they realized it necessary to fix. Because I bought the Shield TV in late November, and they apparently already had a fix in the "Shield Experience 5.0" software, which was just released Jan 23rd to 1st gen owners (or at least to me - it may have been a phased rollout).....

....they had to string me along for SIXTY days after I dropped $200 on a product based on a feature prominently displayed on the side of the box - because they couldn't say back in November before 2nd gen hardware was official... "Btw on 1/23 your issue will be solved."

On top of that, they rolled out Gen 2 with major software issues unresolved, even though it's 90% the same hardware.

It never occurred to me AT ALL that there might be SERIOUS bugs (more than just the audio) on a product I was buying that was released 18 months prior. To top it off, their 2-man American "escalation team" staff are just a couple of condescending pricks.

The only consolation I have is that I paid $177 vs $199 for the unit (Best Buy matched GameStop), the Best Buy packaging contained the $50 TV style remote, and the 2nd gen $199 model deleted:

1) MicroSD slot
2) MicroUSB port
3) IR receiver
4) Recharge functionality on the TV style remote
5) Headphone output on the TV style remote

5a777f5a2ae81c6854dc4a24bf80f472.jpg

76284433f46f682938c98332eb58f427.jpg

Gains?

1) Slightly smaller - don't care; this thing is already tiny.

51c05ac9c3f9d56bbcd599d387561437.jpg

2) Game controller rumbles. Whoopti Doo.
3) Game controller has longer battery life.
4) Fricking nothing else.

Alex

OP
alex_sisk

alex_sisk

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus
That's what derobert was talking about a few posts so. On most basic home networks, the router acts the DHCP server.

Sent from my Pixel XL

Yes absolutely - I must've missed that.

Found a cool app actually.

40547bcc31afdaa4acaf68b2ad37550c.jpg

For just the devices that I transfer media to or have another reason, I'm using the MAC address reservation method for setting my static IPs.

e23343785bbb36cb1d068f74f61957d8.jpg

Finally got it!

Alex