What is the "lib" folder for or about?

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ok so just "to see" i was checking out my "system" folder and discovered that it's size is 91.5MB of 100MB "size on disk". Am i about to run out of room? Here's a breakdown of the folders and their size in my "system" folder:

App - 25.2MB
Bin - 4.32MB
Etc - 487KB
Fonts - 3.88MB
framework - 11.6MB
:shocked: LIB - 39.9MB!! <<<< HELLO!! what is that crap? :shocked:
lost & Found - Empty
Media - 3.25
USR - 2.06MB
Xbin - 727KB

i can pretty much figure out what the rest of the folders are. after exploring that LIB folder i see about half of the files were created 10/20/09 and the other half on 12/22/09. I got my droid Nov 6. and i MIGHT have rooted it in December but i can't remember. Does this folder have something to do with rooting it? And if so, are the 12/22/09 files what replaced the 10/20/09 crap? and <gasp> can i delete them? or should i just stfu and stop worrying about it? :rofl3: if i only have like 8.5MB left in the system to use....should i not try anymore roms? i thought you needed to have a certain amount of space to flash them. and if so, how much space is it i need to have available? thanks :D

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The /lib folder is used for shared library files that executables make use of.

I have no idea if the rom install process first checks to see if there will be enough free diskspace before proceeding. A very good question to ask. But as the old rom gets removed there should be enough room for the next one unless it was drastically larger.

Use terminal emulator and type df at the command prompt to break down the amount of space used in each folder if you are interested in knowing.

You also can go to Settings/SD Card & phone storage and it will display how much free space is on both your card and your phone. I've got 53.94mb free on my internal phone storage. The below steps got me over 20mb back when I got down to about 23mb of internal phone space left.

Doing a complete wipe of data and cache the next time you apply a rom will clear up some space too.

From http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-solutions/30276-droidforums-solutions-thread.html is this solution for gaining some more space back from your phone's memory space.

1) Open Astro - free from the Market
2) press the menukey
3) select tools
4) select "application manager/backup"
5) backup all apps
6) uninstalled all apps except Astro (if you uninstall Astro, you will have to download it again from the market to continue)
7) from the backed-up apps column - reinstall all apps
end result is all the downloaded install files are now stored on the card's memory storage instead of the phone's memory storage

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The /lib folder is used for shared library files that executables make use of.

I have no idea if the rom install process first checks to see if there will be enough free diskspace before proceeding. A very good question to ask. But as the old rom gets removed there should be enough room for the next one unless it was drastically larger.

Use terminal emulator and type df at the command prompt to break down the amount of space used in each folder if you are interested in knowing.

You also can go to Settings/SD Card & phone storage and it will display how much free space is on both your card and your phone. I've got 53.94mb free on my internal phone storage. The below steps got me over 20mb back when I got down to about 23mb of internal phone space left.

Doing a complete wipe of data and cache the next time you apply a rom will clear up some space too.

From http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-solutions/30276-droidforums-solutions-thread.html is this solution for gaining some more space back from your phone's memory space.

1) Open Astro - free from the Market
2) press the menukey
3) select tools
4) select "application manager/backup"
5) backup all apps
6) uninstalled all apps except Astro (if you uninstall Astro, you will have to download it again from the market to continue)
7) from the backed-up apps column - reinstall all apps
end result is all the downloaded install files are now stored on the card's memory storage instead of the phone's memory storage

By reinstalling the apps it is placing them in /system/app or /data/app. Which is on the internal memory storage, right?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
By reinstalling the apps it is placing them in /system/app or /data/app. Which is on the internal memory storage, right?

By reinstalling the apps it is placing them in /system/app or /data/app. Which is on the internal memory storage, right?[/quote]

Everything that is not /sdcard is internal memory storage.

I don't know why some end up in /system and some end up in /data.

I applied a theme to the helixlauncher and the instructions had me move the helix launcher file from /data/apps to /system/apps. That tells me it will run in both locations but the MM process would only apply the theme to the /system app. I haven't tinkered around in those areas enough to have an answer as to whether or not you could just move all /system/app files to /data/apps if you were running low on room in /system.

OP
Corinacakes

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Thanks Chris...i did the df thing and here's what it says....as if i can understand it lol

cisco0910

Reaction score
If i backup all apps in astro then uninstall and restore via astro, everything will be erased correct? Like all notes in ak notepad, all pass keys in my wifi finder app, weather bug widgets gonna have to be reput on screens, ect.....?

OP
Corinacakes

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
no yur data for each app will be saved. mine always is anyway

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Apps in /system/app are your default applications that come with the phone. Anything else thats there have been physically put there by the dev or you. Internal phone storage is only /data I am like 99% sure. You can have a lot of internal phone storage, but go to adb push an app to /system/app and get the error: "Not enough space left on device". I've seen it a bunch of times. That's because /system will not be reported as "internal" phone storage because you're not supposed to be adding/removing things from there anyways technically, so that's not even taken into consideration with "internal phone storage".

And also, flashing ROMs doesn't have anything to do with the amount of space left in /system. And this is because, when you're flashing a new ROM, what's happening, is the /system partition is simply being switched out for a new /system partition. Doesn't matter if /system was completely jam packed, the *entire* /system is removed, and replaced with a whole new /system partition.

nphil

Reaction score
lib folder contains modules, opengl libraries, device drivers etc, do not delete it!

/system/app folder is where all the system apps reside, they do not need to be signed. This is why Metamorph skinning works only if your app is in /system. Messing with pngs or anything else in an apk makes you have to resign the app all over again. All apps in /data partition need to be signed, i.e everything you install from the Market or otherwise goes in there. There is no way to install apps to /system except manually copying the apk in there.

Last edited: