What is the data push option?

wmscottmc

Reaction score
I see a data push, and a data fetch option. My data push is disabled, data fetch set to 30 min.

What does "data push" do?

Thanks

nkair360

Reaction score
Data push would allow you to instantly receive your mail. The sync pings for your mail at the interval that you set.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
data push is like a constant refresh of the data for whatever app youre using it for (email?)

fetch only checks on the interval set - uses less data (and less battery) by not constantly checking it but will only deliver emails on the interval

got an important email you need to get - set to push

otherwise, save the battery by using fetch

stryguy

Reaction score
data push is like a constant refresh of the data for whatever app youre using it for (email?)

fetch only checks on the interval set - uses less data (and less battery) by not constantly checking it but will only deliver emails on the interval

Uhg! This statement is incredibly incorrect. The exact opposite is actually true.

Your Droid X uses the C2DM framework from google for pushmail. As do all 2.1 Android OS devices. It's a gazillion times more battery efficient then fetching email.

Here goes one of the more complicated explanations out there.

Start with blocking out all thought of data transmissions and just think about your plain old cell phone. It registers itself onto different towers as you drive about the city. As your signal strength dips it queries the tower for information on adjacent towers and one tower hands off your phone to the next. The towers knows who you are, it knows close to where you are. At any one moment you're signal is being processed by 3 different towers.

Now, lets say you set your phone to battery saver mode and after 15 mins the 3g radio is shut off. Does this mean you won't get push email? Nope, you'll still get push mail because push doesn't depend on the 3g radio. Instead an "intent broadcast" transmission is sent via the cell network and tells your phone to wake up the application and even load the application if it's not loaded. It will then accept the incoming message through 3g.

A Fetch, on the other hand, completely resyncs the mailboxes and this takes significant time and a decent amount of data being sent over the 3g radio. If there was no new emails that entire sync was completely pointless.

jetdoc

Reaction score
Would you then say to have your 'fetch' schedule set for 'manually'...? I was on 'fetch', every hour, didn't know that 'data push' was more battery friendly. I do have phone set to battery saver mode.

stryguy

Reaction score
Yes, absolutely have your phone set to manual fetching and use only push enabled email accounts. If your email provider doesn't support push then I'd switch to one that does.

I'll gamble that you notice extended battery life immediately.

jetdoc

Reaction score
Welll I have Gmail, of course, but my ISP, I am not sure if they support push. I deleted my previous emails, and I have fetch to manual, so I guess I will find out if they do or not.

stryguy

Reaction score
I should also mention that this is regarding the email client and gmail client that comes pre-installed on the phone. If you download some other email client there's no telling if it uses C2DM or the open polling method of push mail.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Uhg! This statement is incredibly incorrect. The exact opposite is actually true.

Your Droid X uses the C2DM framework from google for pushmail. As do all 2.1 Android OS devices. It's a gazillion times more battery efficient then fetching email.

Here goes one of the more complicated explanations out there.

Start with blocking out all thought of data transmissions and just think about your plain old cell phone. It registers itself onto different towers as you drive about the city. As your signal strength dips it queries the tower for information on adjacent towers and one tower hands off your phone to the next. The towers knows who you are, it knows close to where you are. At any one moment you're signal is being processed by 3 different towers.

Now, lets say you set your phone to battery saver mode and after 15 mins the 3g radio is shut off. Does this mean you won't get push email? Nope, you'll still get push mail because push doesn't depend on the 3g radio. Instead an "intent broadcast" transmission is sent via the cell network and tells your phone to wake up the application and even load the application if it's not loaded. It will then accept the incoming message through 3g.

A Fetch, on the other hand, completely resyncs the mailboxes and this takes significant time and a decent amount of data being sent over the 3g radio. If there was no new emails that entire sync was completely pointless.

yea i poted that one too quick i switched the two. oops :(