what is the best wifi tethering app out there

bernardino5

Reaction score
,What is the best wifi tethering app out there is Bluetooth same as wifi tethering.

Rsswga

Reaction score
try them...they are free apps out there...they work fabulous ...
Bluetooth and tethering ...are they the same?...lol

HouseOfZane

Reaction score
,What is the best wifi tethering app out there is Bluetooth same as wifi tethering.

lol @rsswga.

Bluetooth is not the same as tethering. Essentially, tethering is the act of using your phone as a hub to allow your (or others') machine to connect to the internet.

Bluetooth is a technology that uses short length radio waves to allow two devices to connect wirelessly and transmit data.

tantheman4

Reaction score
the greatest app for doing bluetooth AND tethering is PDAnet... but if you root your phone you can tether without any apps or extra stuff.. its much easier.. do this bye going to settings>wireless and network settings>tethering and then tick the box to turn it on.. but it has to be plugged into the computer also

antnyh

Reaction score

tantheman4

Reaction score
well you have to go to the website pdanet tells you too to install the pdanet part that goes on your computer

droid hacker

Reaction score
make your droid a hotspot and your life easier

Pdanet didnt work for me eitther so my sugestion is download from market barnacle legacy that converts tour phone into a hotspot if youre rooted, and you dont need to be wire connected to your pc or mac

JohnnyDepth

Reaction score
Pdanet didnt work for me eitther so my sugestion is download from market barnacle legacy that converts tour phone into a hotspot if youre rooted, and you dont need to be wire connected to your pc or mac

I have to ask...

What is your:
-operating system
-phone make, model, os version?
-how did you install it?

If you're rooted the wireless tether apk available via google (Free)
does the same thing.

PDAnet just works and is a very simple install process.
If I had to guess you may not have installed the (software) tether adapter properly.

beckx020

Reaction score
easytether and pdanet both work. But you have to follow the instructions to install them.

Reaction score

lol @rsswga.

Bluetooth is not the same as tethering. Essentially, tethering is the act of using your phone as a hub to allow your (or others') machine to connect to the internet.

Bluetooth is a technology that uses short length radio waves to allow two devices to connect wirelessly and transmit data.

Let's clarify some terminology a little more clearly.

Tethering: Connecting to the internet with by a single computer using the data connection of a cell phone.

Cabled Tethering: Using the USB cable that came with your cellphone to create a data connection between the phone and the computer and using that wired connection to connect to the internet using the 3G connection on your phone. Super stable and the fastest means of creating a wireless internet connection for a laptop with a cellphone. I use PDAnet and get a connection that has approached speeds I've gotten on my cable internet connection through comcast.

Bluetooth Tethering: Creating a wireless data connection between a computer and a cellphone with bluetooth wireless pairing and using that data connection to access the internet on the computer. Extremely slow and unreliable. I can use PDAnet to do this but it's about dial-up speed and is only really good for checking email. Bluetooth is NOT the same thing as WiFi. Bluetooth ONLY connects wirelessly to one computer and is much slower than WiFi.

WiFi Tethering: Connecting a cellphone and single computer using an 802.11x connection and sharing the 3G data connection to access the internet. Faster than Bluetooth but slower than USB tethering. ONLY available on a rooted phone.

Mobile Wifi Hotspot: Using the wifi chip in the phone to be a wireless router for sharing it's internet connection with multiple devices. Any device with 802.11x connectivity can use the network the same way it can use any hotspot. This is faster than Bluetooth but not as fast as a USB connection. It's great for using in a car or any area a few people might need access but only one has a phone with data. The Droid X and Droid 2 are capable of this but there is an upcharge to use it "legally". Droid 1 can use the WiFi tethering but the chip in it doesn't support Hotspot because it's not capable of "routing" to multiple sources. (I've gotten around this by using a cabled connection to my laptop, then using the laptop as the wifi router and sharing the connection with other devices. Worked surprisingly well, but in this case, it wasn't the phone that was the router it was the computer).

If you just want to use your phone to connect your laptop to the internet without rooting, use PDAnet's paid version and connect with the USB. If you want to do it wirelessly and you're using a Droid 1, then you'll need to root and use the wifi tethering.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i just dl'd both the wifi and wired tethering apps from this site. they both work great! before rooting, i was using Easy Tether and PdaNet. after rooting, i could still surf the web with them, but i couldn't get my laptop email to connect to the server. these two from Bayou fixed it!

Best Wifi is the one at the top of this page: Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code

princrbrb

Reaction score
can u wifi tether with droid1 and ps3? my wifi tether is not working at all im running 2.2 update rooted droid and all nothing seems 2 be working 4me . i have the wifi tether app from google i just dont understand y nothing is conneting 2 my phone