What is the best way/proper way to use an SD card?

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
I got a128 GB SD card and wondered the best way to employee it?
I know running apps from it will mean the phone is slower. But, how noticeable?

What can I move to it and how? Use an app for SD TRANSFER? Which one and how?
THANK YOU for your help.
Also, what should I NOT do?
Mark

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
If you do choose to use the SD card as internal storage you can move apps to it, etc. But...you will not be able to use that SD card in another phone or read / write to it from a computer. If it's a fast enough card it will work fine for extra "internal" storage if you have a lot of apps and need that space.

If you use the card as external storage you can't put apps on it but can put music, pictures, videos, etc. And you can use it in another phone and read / write to it from a computer.

Personally I prefer external storage so I can use the same card in my next phone, and use the SD Card for music and pictures only. But it's a personal choice based on what you need.

Hope that helps answer some questions.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
If you choose external storage you can set the camera app to save all pics and videos there in the Camera app settings. And you can choose to store all music there in the Play Music app settings. And you can put it in a computer using a card reader, or connect your phone using a USB C cable and copy files directly to the card.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk