What is the best baseband?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by bentobox, Jun 12, 2010.

1. bentobox

bentobox New Member

This is directed to those who have tried all the basebands, and which one do you think is the best baseband? i know theres like 3 or 4 of them out there now.
  2. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

I havent tested them all against each other, but one of the recent ones ending in .00R agrees with my phone. Faster 3G speeds, a lil better reception at my desk at work. Normally its 1x or nothing, now 3G tries to rear its head every now n then.
  3. les017

les017 New Member

For MY Droid the first leaked Froyo baseband is by far the best...C014100R. I now have better 3G speed, more solid connectivity. This its the first baseband that gives me be better than -90 signal, and it's consistently near-82 or better.

But you'll need to experiment to see what's best on your phone, in your area.
  4. k1ng617

k1ng617 New Member

so is the higher the number the better? Meaning -60 is better than -70? Because, I am at "-60dbm 0asu" whatever that means =)

BTW using: "c_01.3E.03P"
  5. ilikemoneygreen

ilikemoneygreen New Member

i wouldnt know if higher is better, but i cant say for the last few days my connectivity has sucked.... I have switched roms out like candy lately. I had bb1.1 but i switched it for 1st froyo leak... switched back to bb1.1 then switched to bb v0.1 then switched back to cycogenmod for a quick looksy, then back to 0.1. lol, at the moment my baseband sucks, fustrating me kinda (im traveling, at a house in wellston ohio and cant tell if its my baseband or just a bad connection) :(
  6. validoption

validoption New Member

Correct. -60 would be better.
  7. xtremecanefan

xtremecanefan New Member

Most recent on released is working for me...I am usually barely able to keep signal in my parents house, so bad I sometimes can't get a text off. Today while there I was getting 2-3 bars and had 3G in certain areas.
  8. Johnly

Johnly Guest

The latest froyo base band is the best. Fast, yes it is, fast, clear, yes it is clear, official, as close as it comes, it came from, yoda.....after pete!
  9. k1ng617

k1ng617 New Member

If i were to change to Bugless Beast v01 does that change baseband? Also does nandroid backup save the baseband, so if I mess something up by installing a new one can I just use nandroid and go back to that previous state?
  10. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

No backups keeps the previous baseband once u change basebands. The basebands are seperate from the ROMs.
  11. k1ng617

k1ng617 New Member

K thanks. Then I am less worried about swapping roms now then. Do most ppl use Rom Manager?
  12. validoption

validoption New Member

I use RM because you don't need to rename every .zip "update" and that means you can apply multiple .zips in one session. Like ROM, theme, add-ons if needed, and kernel, all in one go. Plus it provides the option to swap to SBR if needed, like with Chevy's ROM that is only- last I checked- in SBR nandroid format, and then back again.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  13. Predator04

Predator04 New Member

Can someone be kind to tell me exactly what a baseband is? is it the same as calling *288 and doing option 2? or is that totally different?
  14. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

A baseband is the software for the 3G chip in your phone. It normally gets changed when there is a system update: 2.0.1, 2.1, Froyo/2.2.

After u change basebands, u will have to re-activate your phone by doing *228 , but u do option 1 first. After u re-activate the phone, then u go back and do option 2.
  15. Predator04

Predator04 New Member

sweet thanks alot for that information!
  16. bmxmike

bmxmike New Member

I havent done much testing but here is the basic idea behind it, Do this for each baseband to see which gives you the best results;

Go into ##Program, heres what you need to know for the sake of testing radios, I think this information is found in "Test Mode".
    You will do this for 1x and HDR(3g)

In 1x view:

RX Power: power level in dbm received from the tower. The levels are displayed as negative (-) numbers, and levels closer to 0 are better.

RX Ec/Io : signal to noise level, displayed in db.. lower numbers are better again.

Those are the two important ones.

Also, check your HDR as this is your 3g:

RX Power: same deal as above.

RX Signal Strength : Similar to ec/io above, but is the inverse... higher numbers are better (stronger and more clean signal).

Active Set Pilot : The current evdo pilot youre connected to. Each tower has 3-4 pilots... usually corresponding to what side of the tower you're feeding from. You should see one number in this blank only. If you see two, your phone is suffering pilot pollution, and you'll see degraded speeds.

Requested Data Rate: the negotiated rate between your handset and the tower. This is not necessarily the speeds you will see, as you're limited by the tower's backhaul, however this displays the maximum rate than can take place between you and the tower. Highest rate, coupled with highest RX Signal Strength, the better faster and more reliable data session.

I'll provide more detailed information if its needed, however, this is the basics you'd need to know to get the best service possible.
  17. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

^Ok... I just copied that in Notepad and have it saved in my baseband folder on my PC.....

I vote for that to get added to a baseband sticky somewhere.
  18. bmxmike

bmxmike New Member

Well that is not nearly all the information you can get and I have yet to actually take a look at the ##PROGRAM menu.

I'm nearly speaking from experience with other radios/basebands that I have tested and these are what your looking for. Also the ways to get to test are difference. On my HTC Diamond and Pro you can enter ##Debug and go into "FieldTrial" mode which automatically pulls this information up and has a tab for 1x and a tab for HDR and you can switch between the 2. Some display just this information or they can display more. Also the layout of them are different you may have to go through 1 menu or 5 to get the information.

I'm sure someone can write up a much better information than i can

Edit- Just started looking at some of the ##codes; The easiest one for you to look at right now is *#*#INFO#*#*; Then look for the one that says "Signal Strength": When testing the best baseband is the one that the number is closest to zero, This is where they mention that it was a negative.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  19. budmonster

budmonster Guest

if -60 is good then my signal must be horrible. i dont know what ##Program or how to use it, if some can explain that to me :) When I goto settings>about phone>status
    my signal strength says "-91 dBm 0 asu". I have no clue what this mean but I'm guessing its bad lol. I'm on the latest baseband C_01.43.01P. Can anyone help me improve my 3G/WIFI?

I'm currently on Petes Froyo ROM using P3Droids 1ghz kernel...
  20. bmxmike

bmxmike New Member

Ok don't listen to anything I said lol I'm making it harder for you. I wasn't aware that the information was under About My phone. You want the number closest to Zero as possible which will increase your signal and performance. Test ALL of the basebands and see if any give you better performance. Anything above -80 is really horrible you should atleast be able to get into the -60 to -80 range which is good to fair. Download all of the basebands back from the first to the 4th I belive it is. Should be the release, CP or something like that, then Froyo release one, Froyo release 2
Search tags for this page
android baseband

android best baseband

baseband 3g android

baseband android

best android baseband

best baseband for android

best baseband for s4

best baseband in android
droid x witch is better baseband .13 or .19
what is a good signal strength dbm and asu

what is basebrand aandroid