What is so significant about Google selling a phone directly to customers?

DurangoJim

Reaction score
I don't really understand why this is important. They don't make the hardware, the phone will still only work on TMobile's network for 3G, and even though the processor is a little quicker than the Droid, it seems that they will both run the same OS. So what's the point in Google doing this or is it just basically an upgrade to the G1 and has little to no affect on the other Android phones.

Azmordean

Reaction score
I agree with you, I'm not sure what all the hype is about. To me this looks like a new HTC phone on Tmo... so what's the big deal? The fact it has google branding? The Droid is a google experience device (that is, pure android, no custom crap) so in my view the diffs between the Droid and Nexus will be minimal from a software perspective.

zeldor

Reaction score
because google could if they wanted not sell them but give them away.
there is enough spots for ads to make money off the things.
this would then piss off apple/motorola/at&t/verizon/etc perhaps
causing them a lot of financial problems due to people going to google/tmobile.
then its a google world in which we live in.

OP
D

DurangoJim

Reaction score

I understand what you're saying but most of us paid less than $200 for our droid and even less for the eris or other phones. If this was a phone that could be used on all carriers and was free then I would be impressed and see it as a game changer, but if they sell it for anything over $50 I won't be impressed as is still only works on one carrier.

LordKastle

Reaction score
People talk about hype on this device. Do you realize no one has mentioned it except a few tech blog websites and the forums that eat what they feed them? Furthermore it is an "invite only" device during its initial release to distract from poor sales, compared to iPhone and the Moto Droid. What do you expect though? It's T-Mobile. The marketplace failed on T-Mobile with the MyTouch and G-1. So as we all have seen with the recent statistics listed in the articles...Google should be thanking Verizon for the successfulness of the Moto Droid for actually getting the Android OS on a level playing field with WinMobile, BB, and Apple.

The Google Phone will be nothing more than a trendy phone to have for T-Mobile users. Are people actually going to bail on the iPhone on AT&T to get a copy-cat looking phone with no 3G coverage? Please...there is a reason this phone will not be pushed by AT&T, it will simply be accessible on their network. You won't walk in to AT&T and buy this phone.

Previous post of mine:
"Verizon had already rejected the original notion of the "Google Phone"....This is why the "Google Phone" was to be GSM only..pre-production Verizon denied Google.

This was the phone that that Google wanted to be carrier-free, and fortunately it will not be. Because if it is limited to only Edge on AT&T...it will not be promoted as a legitimate phone for the carrier and will be imprisoned to T-Mobile where it will slowly die.

Sorry Google...make a decision about what you want to do. Do you want Android to be the main Mobile OS of all manufacturers to combat WinMobile and Apple's sole device, or do you want to be like Apple and produce 1 product line of phones with your OS. Can't have it both ways...for now.

And if you do the manufacturers you persuaded to use the OS will look elsewhere, therefore damaging your marketplace value. Its the nature of the cellular industry and those are safe-guards placed so no one company can put a stranglehold on it."

In other words Google was burnt by Verizon during pre-production, fortunately.

Last edited:

zeldor

Reaction score
there is also the fact that its a contractless tmobile device.
I may have paid only $150 for my droid (which I love) but Im
also coughing up another extra $1000 to verizon over the contract
life vs my old phone. Which to me is worth it but these smart phones from carriers are not as "cheap" as they could be.

google may have other true plans that we dont know about.
they do a lot of strange things just because they can.

OT a little but much like google wave, I have no idea the purpose
behind this thing yet. I have an account but what to do with it isnt
obvious.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I believe whats happening is the phone will be sold to developers first via Google. Thats why T-Mo is not offering support on it.

I've also said that it's just another ADP device like the G1 was so once T-Mo releases it it won't be called the Nexus, maybe the Passion name will resurface again?

This is all speculation but it's starting to make sense.

Contrary to what I've read on the internet I do not believe Google wants to sell hardware and have to support it. These rumors started with the G1 (the "Google" phone) followed by the My Touch 3G (another "Google" phone) and continue today with yet another "Google" phone the Nexus.

I'm hedging my bet on it being the ADP3

LordKastle

Reaction score
And regardless of what they want to do...time has expired in this generation of phones and 3G. Maybe sometime down the line during 4G/LTE they will give it another try depending on what the market is looking like and depending on how other factors transpire including Apple's future agreements and others.

They did really want this Nexus to be unlocked going in to pre-production. If Verizon said yes then it would be available for us, most likely Sprint, AT&T and T-Mobile. Verizon was our savior...and more importantly the saviors of the manufacturers within the cellular industry.

brochaos

Reaction score
you think you are only paying $200, but you aren't. it's a $600 phone. they aren't in the business of giving out money. during the life of your contract, you are paying way more than that $400 difference.

tmobile has the getmoreplus plan that is no contract, and less money per month for the same features. all because you aren't paying for the subsidy.

I understand what you're saying but most of us paid less than $200 for our droid and even less for the eris or other phones. If this was a phone that could be used on all carriers and was free then I would be impressed and see it as a game changer, but if they sell it for anything over $50 I won't be impressed as is still only works on one carrier.

Gadgetguitar

Reaction score
Don't you think it would make sense pushing this out on Big Red?

I will say, I do not see a point releasing this on T-mobile. Our company is a small company with a large cellular footprint in the St. Louis market. T-mobile is horrible outside St. Louis. We cover all of IL, IN, Mo and the coverage is bad!! The Nexus One will never work for us. We have several Droids added to our account and plan to add more. I just do not see the sales of this thing going anywhere with T-Mobile.

OP
D

DurangoJim

Reaction score
you think you are only paying $200, but you aren't. it's a $600 phone. they aren't in the business of giving out money. during the life of your contract, you are paying way more than that $400 difference.

tmobile has the getmoreplus plan that is no contract, and less money per month for the same features. all because you aren't paying for the subsidy.

But what good is a cheaper plan if I don't get good coverage or service?

Nedaroth

Reaction score
I believe whats happening is the phone will be sold to developers first via Google. Thats why T-Mo is not offering support on it.

I've also said that it's just another ADP device like the G1 was so once T-Mo releases it it won't be called the Nexus, maybe the Passion name will resurface again?

Contrary to what I've read on the internet I do not believe Google wants to sell hardware and have to support it. These rumors started with the G1 (the "Google" phone) followed by the My Touch 3G (another "Google" phone) and continue today with yet another "Google" phone the Nexus.

T mobil will now infact support it, this was reported yesterday.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

T mobil will now infact support it, this was reported yesterday.
only billing, plans, features and rate plans. Trouble shooting and exchanges will be handled by HTC and Google.

boatman2220

Reaction score
Is the talk of a Google phone the same thing as the Google Experience with Verizon? It doesn't seem to make sense for Google to market a phone. Let others make and market the phones as you ride along and get the notice for the OS.

OP
D

DurangoJim

Reaction score
With the recent info regarding prices and terms, this seems like just another Android phone (albeit a very nice one) on a limited network.