what is root

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by xxdieselxx, May 23, 2010.

1. xxdieselxx

xxdieselxx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    sorry all, but i havnt found an answer yet. please explain and give some pros and cons for me
    [​IMG]

2. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +49
  3. xxdieselxx

xxdieselxx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    sweet thank you and sorry

please delete........

4. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +49
    You are most welcome.

No need to apologize; this is a common question so I posted the sticky about it. Rooting is like customizing a car; if that sort of thing appeals to you, great. I haven't rooted yet, but I plan to.

The only thing I can recommend now is read and re-read. There are plenty of threads on how to root and plenty of people willing to help.

#4 aaf709, May 23, 2010
    Last edited: May 24, 2010
  5. xxdieselxx

xxdieselxx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    as i just got my droid i dont have a need yet, but im sure the day will come, i just cant seem to own anything stock..lol

6. Diordna

Diordna Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    And if you want help rooting through an IM of some sort, I'd be glad to help out! :)

7. Dave12308

Dave12308 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +50
    I was a bit hesitant at first, but looking back on things now; if the Droid were able to be rooted the day I bought it back in November; I would have rooted it. Alas it was not, so I was forced to wait anyways; but now that the modding community has gotten the Moto Droid to the point where it is now; root access is a must. Some things I am going to mention are in 2.2 that is upcoming at some undetermined point; however; I can use them NOW. I am running Cyanogenmod 5.0.6.2 for reference. Here are the things I could NOT do if I wasn't rooted:

- store apps on SD card and run them from there. totally user transparent except when device is first booted and SD card isn't yet mounted. I have in the neighborhood of 125 apps and games installed, about 15 of them high end 3D games. And my free internal memory is still ~150MB. With another 111MB left on my Apps2SD partition.

- USB tethering: use my Droid as a USB network card without having to make a modem connection

- WiFi tethering: basically turn my Droid into a wifi hotspot

- Run different ROMs that offer me different benefits and allow me to do all of the above things.

- Ability to add commonly used Linux commands to the command prompt, important for an IT professional such as myself

In the end, being rooted allows me most of the benefits of Android 2.2 (minus Flash and a stable JIT implementation) right NOW. Not a month into the future. And i've had these capabilities for awhile.

Of course, if you choose NOT to root (and subsequently void your warranty) that is fine as well, I am not trying to say that NOT rooting is a bad thing. Rather, offering you some of the benefits so you can make an informed decision. The best advice I can offer, however, is to READ READ READ if you decide to go the rooting route.

8. Dave12308

Dave12308 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Wow dude, you are brave! It's a bit of a task to explain especially with the need to revert to 2.0.1 first. Don't forget to find out what PC OS the OP is running, so you can properly explain how to install the USB drivers and RSDLite.

If I can find a GOOD youtube video, i'll post it to save you work, seeing it in video SHOULD make it easier.

9. Dave12308

Dave12308 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Here's a good one but it assumes RSDLite is properly installed.

10. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This isn't true. You do have to flash with rsdlite, but the new roms are ese81 based aka 2.1.

When we first got 2.1 there was a point we had to revert, but that's not the case these days.

11. Diordna

Diordna Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As the guy above me said, you don't need to revert.
    It REALLY isn't to hard to tell them what to do. They just have to follow, but it's me saying simple stuff like:

Install this to PC in a folder on the desktop named "ROOT": *SPRecovery d/l link*

do the same with RSDlite and driver

Use RSDlite to put on SPRecovery.

And just continue from there, maybe getting ROMs which is real easy to explain to. I've done it before and helped another guy out after him, and I rooted and slapped on a ROM because I was helped this way too.
    I find it fun!

#11 Diordna, May 24, 2010
    Last edited: May 24, 2010
  12. warrior21

warrior21 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Except you don't slap sprecovery on the root of the sd card, you flash it using RSDlite while in the bootloader screen