What Is "Location" And How Does It Relate to Me?

pdmike

Reaction score
Settings/Location

What does this mean? If I enable all of the Location options, what am I opening myself up for? I read in today's paper where the U.S. Supremes have said the police must have a search warrant before they can track someone with a cell phone. Does this relate to Locations?

Can I be tracked if I have Locations enabled? Can I NOT be tracked it I have Locations disabled?

Or am I completely off base here? Tell me about "Location." Exactly what funciton does this perform on my phone?

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
It basically lets apps and in the need of an emergency, first responders pinpoint your location.

OP
pdmike

pdmike

Reaction score
It basically lets apps and in the need of an emergency, first responders pinpoint your location.

Apps owned by whom? Anyone who wants to download them? So if I enable Location on my phone, am I opening myself up to being tracked by anyone who wants to go to the trouble of simply downloading an app that will let them track me?

What if I DISable Location on my phone? Will that prevent my being tracked without my knowledge or consent?

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
No, only apps that ask you if you want to share your location. Usually like photo apps.

Fonzz

Reaction score
Apps owned by whom? Anyone who wants to download them? So if I enable Location on my phone, am I opening myself up to being tracked by anyone who wants to go to the trouble of simply downloading an app that will let them track me?

What if I DISable Location on my phone? Will that prevent my being tracked without my knowledge or consent?

I believe law enforcement (armed with a warrant) can track any cell phone (assuming it's powered up) to a certain degree (general area) by knowing which cell tower you're using. Maybe more accurately if they could triangulate using 3 towers (not sure about this aspect). Although I don't think this is what you're concerned with.

I hear stories now and then about wanted and missing people being tracked this way...

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Location is used by apps such as maps, GPS, place locators (like to find restaurants "near you"). Read the permissions of apps before you download them and decide for yourself if it seems like a need for the app to operate or provide service. Yes, google maps needs to know where I am in order to get me from a to b....so I download it and use it. Yes, dictionary.com needs my location so I can see what words people around me are looking up....but do I need to know that the sweet little old lady next door is looking up "bondage" and "sadomasochism"? Do I want my neighbors knowing I looked up "you" for spelling purposes, thus revealing to them what a dumb a$$ I really am? No, so I don't download it.
The choice is eventually up to you.
Can this feature be abused? Of course, but I figure I am no Jack Bower, no terrorists are after me, so I don't worry about it. As far as the good guys are concerned, Big Brother can track me as soon as I turn a phone on. Then again, they can also track me via every time time I use a debit card, log into the internet, walk past an ATM ....I don't worry about it.
In closing....yes, you can be tracked; but, you already are leaving tracks all over the place (OnStar in your car....). So, turn the location on, read app permissions, and enjoy your phone!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
pdmike

pdmike

Reaction score
Location is used by apps such as maps, GPS, place locators (like to find restaurants "near you"). Read the permissions of apps before you download them and decide for yourself if it seems like a need for the app to operate or provide service. Yes, google maps needs to know where I am in order to get me from a to b....so I download it and use it. Yes, dictionary.com needs my location so I can see what words people around me are looking up....but do I need to know that the sweet little old lady next door is looking up "bondage" and "sadomasochism"? Do I want my neighbors knowing I looked up "you" for spelling purposes, thus revealing to them what a dumb a$$ I really am? No, so I don't download it.
The choice is eventually up to you.
Can this feature be abused? Of course, but I figure I am no Jack Bower, no terrorists are after me, so I don't worry about it. As far as the good guys are concerned, Big Brother can track me as soon as I turn a phone on. Then again, they can also track me via every time time I use a debit card, log into the internet, walk past an ATM ....I don't worry about it.
In closing....yes, you can be tracked; but, you already are leaving tracks all over the place (OnStar in your car....). So, turn the location on, read app permissions, and enjoy your phone!

Thank you. I guess it's time to get a little more specific. Is there software (or apps) out there that will enable one individual (not the government, not a police agency, not a large corporation - just one individual) to track another individual without the person being tracked knowing about it? Do I have to get even more specific?

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Good question. Sorry about the previous looooong reply :)
Yes, apps like vz family locator allow you to track another phone on your plan. Once again, I'm sure some kid has figured out a hack to abuse this.

OP
pdmike

pdmike

Reaction score
Good question. Sorry about the previous looooong reply :)
Yes, apps like vz family locator allow you to track another phone on your plan. Once again, I'm sure some kid has figured out a hack to abuse this.

If you know, can this be done without the knowledge of the person being tracked? Let's suppose I want to track someone's location without their knowing they are being tracked. I know they have a cell phone, but that's all I know. Can I use an app such as the one you mention here (vz family locator) to track this person? How much do I have to know about their phone? I would assume I have to know at least their cell phone number. Anything else?

Last edited:

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
With vz locator the person tracked has to be on your account (hence the name vz family locator). I don't know of apps on the market that allow you to track someone without their knowledge. I would guess that a nefarious app to track would require the "trackee's" phone number
Soooo.....who are you stalking? :)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
There are programs a person can purchase online, and upload to your phone that supposedly enable them to record your calls, see the numbers you called, view text message.... track you, or at least track you through your cell tower movement.

There are also apps you can get to check your phone for these apps.

Family locator on Verizon.... though it says it requires the gps to be on.... that's false. Verizon uses tower location to approximate the position of the divice.

Before 9-11. There were several websites that you could pay a fee too, and track cell phones through just the phone number... this also was possible with the IMEI number.

Your phone, provided its not a 5 year old phone, will always give your gps location in the event that you make a 911 call, provided that the area you are in actually has the system in place for that.

That having been said...we live in the age of super strong micro processors. And they get smaller and stronger every few months. My point is that you can get cameras as small as ball point pen heads, gps tracking units that are easily planted practically anywhere...... if someone wanted to track you, and they're willing to spend the cash for the hardware to do it...it would be difficult to tell. Sucks huh????

The spy apps you are referring to.... are easily found online. They're usually pretty easy to spot.... according to complaints on the websites that sell these apps.... people spot them because they show up in the background and are running all the time, killing battery life among other things.

I was able to find this info from 5 minutes of googling. Hope this helps???

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Last edited:
OP
pdmike

pdmike

Reaction score
Thanks one and all. I'm not stalking anyone. A little concerned about being the stalkee . . .

Natey2

Reaction score
Thanks one and all. I'm not stalking anyone. A little concerned about being the stalkee . . .

This is heard in court quite often: "My wife was stalking me and my girlfriend". Lol!
Gotta watch out for those stalker wives and those stalkee husbands.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk