What is keeping the Nexus devices from taking the lead?

Discussion in 'Tech News' started by pc747, Mar 14, 2016.

1. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +5,919
    [​IMG]

This is the first year where we had a Nexus actually stand at the top of the android list. Unfortunately it still find itself playing second fiddle to other android devices out there. A device that is unlocked, works on (almost) any carrier, and is cheaper than the competition should be booming. Despite the commercials out there people are not ready to gravitate to the nexus (people meaning mainstream).

Is there anything that Google can do to get people on board and separate themselves from the pack?

2. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +5,919
    My response is that though many of us enthusiasts love vanilla android, the lack of features may shy people away from nexus phones. Scheduled messaging and email are features that have been part of Samsung since the Note 2 days, yet they still are not present in Google's email and messaging apps. We are just now seeing multi-window and the ability to theme (settings) in android N. Though I don't want vanilla android to become a bloated skin, but we been theming android since the OG Droid days. It is time that Google jump on board to allow a basic theme engine.Though I love nexus phones, those are my personal grievances with Google. Despite that I look forward to seeing what the next nexus device end up looking like.

All in all the nexus is no longer a strange name and is for familiar to the mainstream.

3. Miller6386

Miller6386 Developer
    Developer

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 4
    Twitter:
    CoreyFMiller
    I can't recall ever seeing a Nexus commercial. Especially not a recent one. Seems I do recall seeing a Nexus 4 commercial but that is it.

For me it's all about the cool features. I LOVE what the S pen adds to a Samsung. The heart rate and fitness stuff means little to nothing to me.

One thing that sold me on the S3 when it came out was USB on the go and the ability to take pictures while shooting video. Burst shot became cool and before I knew it I was a Samsung fan.

I did have a Motorola Ultra and have to say it was a GREAT device. The camera was awesome, the speaker was phenomenal, the feel in the hand was awesome also. However I found myself wanting the software "gizmos" that the S5 had to offer so I went back to Samsung.

I think if Google pushed their devices a little more more people would jump on them. But with that also comes a price hike. Commercial time isn't cheap.

Perhaps a Google store??... Personally I would make the trip to go check one of these out. Push their own branded devices..... I think almost everyday I get stuck in a loud shop how I miss having a speaker I could hear. The Note 4 is just not that device. I would even be good with a device I could actually feel vibrate..

Then again I think that the average consumer wants the "wow" factor of a heart rate sensor or fitness app with pedometer.... The Nexus line is aimed more at the Android purist/geek. Those people will search out and find the Nexus when it hits the market because they are looking/watching.

I know a ton of people who when it comes to buying a phone just want to walk in the store find one that fits their hand, has similar software to what they have, and will transfer all of their info easily.

The owners of my company just upgraded from iPhone 5's to 6'6's simply because they didn't want the hassle of learning a new system. They LOVE all the features of Android and the wide range of features and devices however their fear of down time to learn a new system/device turned them away. I truly think Google could target the iPhone users by making a device that is pretty much seamless to switch over... Granted those of us that are hard core Android lovers know how seamless it is to switch from one Android to another, others do not.

If the next Note 6 is either to large or doesn't have some cool feature that makes my head spin my next device may just be a Nexus device or perhaps even a G5. As the weeks go by I use the features of this Note 4 less and less.. Probably haven't pulled the pen out in 2 weeks.....

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 4
  4. Mustang02

Mustang02 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +6,073
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P/5X
    I see 5x commercials while watching cavalier games. Zero for 6P.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

5. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,348
    Doesn't look anything like an iPhone.
    Doesn't get any advertising to speak of.
    Can't go to your local Verizon store and pick one up as far as I know
    Since it doesn't look like an iPhone, nobody has switched over to it and become the first nSheep with followers.
    Anyone remember the first Nexus tablet? Remember those REALLY cool commercials? It stayed sold out everywhere for weeks after its initial release and was a huge seller until they pulled the ads.
    Did I mention it doesn't look like an iPhone?

Support Our Troops!!!
    Beast Mode 4
    <><

• Like Like x 1
  6. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +5,919
    Well said. I know that as awesome as Android Pay is Samsung Pay is that much more baller. To have the cashier amazed after saying they are not set up for NFC payments is partly why we buy these devices. Some of the other features like S-Health and S-Pen sets Samsung apart from other Android devices but I rarely use them and can go without them. Before where I would have been in line with the people saying down with Samsung for locked bootloader, I have grown accustomed to having my Samsung locked. With the ability to buy a Nexus phone (ie 5x, 6, etc) for cheap to act as a "play" phone, I am more willing to accept having my work phone locked. My issue with Samsung continues to be their slow update process and their software getting in the way. Though I have said this is the best version of TW thus far (leaving out what is on the newer s& and S7 edge) it still stutters and experience jank once in awhile requiring a reboot vs my Nexus 6 that can go on and never experience a slowdown except when a bunch off apps are installing in the background.

I've said this before when I had the Note 2 and swore off Samsung, but they really need to allow users to be able to install the most vanilla version of android with very little to no twiz and install the apps and features they want via the Samsung App store. That and they really need to do a better job with otas. My nexus is running a version of N while my Note 5 is still on lollipop. There is no excuse for a phone we pay top dollar for to be so slow with updates. I am not saying it needs to be on par with a nexus but 6 - 8 months is bogus considering that Google has been releasing developer previews for the past few builds. Well technically at this point my gripe about not being on 6.01 is with AT&T now and not Samsung.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,672
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    In my opinion, features. You got Samsung, Moto, and LG all touting some features that the Nexus line cannot compare to....yet.

The general public doesn't care about the pure Android experience, but get caught up on the features that manufacturers throw in. I mean to this day there are people saying their phones are Droids when they clearly have a Samsung device. People get caught by the shiny lights and the features that store employees are trained to show off (I call it "shiny light" syndrome).

However, I think the Nexus line could make a push in the near future, look at all the features in Android N so far. They're definitely based more towards multi-tasking and what would seem as a push to it being "friendlier" phones for the general public, imo.

I like where Google is going with Android N, but they don't really have a real high selling point, other than their lower costs. The Nexus line is a great value line, but it just doesn't have the bells and whistles that people are looking for. Though hopefully that'll change soon, and maybe then I'll convert and jump on the Nexus line wagon.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sajo

Sajo Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +7,374
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Droid Z Force
    Agree 100% with everything @Miller6386 and @dezymond posted. Spot on. The average consumer does not know what a Nexus is, doesn't care when they do know, they are not in a store, and shiny lights sell things.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  9. wcjeep

wcjeep Active Member

Ratings:
    +67
    I had the Verizon released Samsung Nexus phone. It was one of the worst phones I've owned. I usually upgrade for better screen and camera. That Nexus was truly horrible. I have a Nexus tablet. It's not the best build quality. There are times I dread using it. I'd upgrade, however, I just had to have it. Wife would want a thorough explanation why I'm upgrading something I had to have. I've used other current Nexus phones. The cameras are usually lacking. I also use the Samsung to Samsung wifi direct connection. It's very handy.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator

Ratings:
    +8,403
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    I've seen commercials for both of the current Nexus phones, multiple times. The worst were the 6P commercials while mine was out for repair.

I actually became a Samsung fan because (or in spite) of the Galaxy Nexus. I was impressed with SOMETHING about that phone. But, I got to a point where their added "features" were getting in the way of how I use the device.

I think these newer Nexus phones would've done better, unfortunately, if they had been available at carrier stores. Sure, Best Buy eventually started selling them, but I feel like the vast majority of average consumers still goes to their carrier store when it's time to upgrade their phone.

This was the same concern I had when the Moto X went the same route. I love the idea of buying an unlocked device outside of my carrier. Aside from specs, it's what interested me in the X and what eventually led me to buy the Nexus 6P. The average consumer, on the other hand, is going to go to VZW, AT&T, etc. and rely on the associate there. Even with the commercials, most people have no idea how to buy a Nexus phone.

I think (HOPE) we're in a transition period where manufacturers can get away from carrier specific devices. Moto did it, Apple did it, but Sammy didn't. I'm very disappointed they stuck with the carrier model with the S7s. At this point, they're impeding progress. If Apple and Samsung both offered their devices direct and really advertised it, it would've been a great push.

That said, I know we all know that Apple's selling phones direct now, but does the average consumer? That's not something I've seen a commercial for, so I'm willing to bet that the average person who wants an iphone is also still going to their carrier store.

11. IIGood

IIGood Silver Member

Ratings:
    +281
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S6
    I think it has to do with availability and awareness, as some have stated previously in this thread. You can't go into a carrier's store and buy a Nexus phone (that I'm aware of). Nor are the Nexus devices heavily advertised compared to other devices. IMO, it seems the Nexus line is aimed more at the enthusiasts that enjoy rooting and tinkering and let's face it, those people are in the minority of smartphone users.

Not really saying anything that hasn't already been stated but just my take, FWIW. :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +5,919
    Yeah it is sad that for awhile nexus devices lacked in quality. But the nexus 6 started the process of being more premium with the 6P showing that nexus phones can be in the same conversations as a Samsung and iPhone and is many cases win.

As far as the Galaxy Nexus even Google tried to distance themselves from that awful device by denying it wasn't a nexus.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk