What is "keep awake" under battery stats?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Nexus' started by jntdroid, Dec 16, 2011.

1. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    That chart shows the top users of the battery and they will always add up to approximately 100%. If you leave the screen off for 8 hours and the phone uses 10% of the battery, the Android OS will show a very high percentage on that chart even though the battery only went down 10%. That's why the Android OS percentage drops when you use the screen. The total has to be near 100% on that chart. One thing goes up, something else is going to go down.

Good luck.

2. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,671
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    Yeah battery life is pretty pathetic really. I guess the 4g radio really does eat into the battery. I switched to 3g only and I guess it helped. I always get horrible signal here at my uncles house but this is what I got...pretty bad...now I'm on wifi but been using it quite a bit.
    Oh yeah thanks for clarifying that bayou
    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

3. Liderc

Liderc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +45
    I'm not sure why anyone is surprised that 4G is eating the battery, it's been known since the Thunderbolt that was the case.

Until they release 2nd gen LTE radios we pay the price for incredible speeds.

I got 11 hours today without losing 4G once, so that works for me.

4. Diab210

Diab210 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    My battery life, while not awesome doesn't seem too bad. Granted this was with rather light use but its been in and out of 4g and 3g areas with the brightness all the way up until about 4 hours ago when I set it to auto. My phone is rooted too. Maybe its just been in mostly 3g all day? Anyway I can check?
    View attachment 44089

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

5. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +319
    Well I don't think it's all 4G that's the problem for some of us... but if it is, then to answer your question, it's b/c this is by far the worst battery life of any 4G phone I've had, and I've had all of them but the LG Revolution.

6. Liderc

Liderc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Can you honestly say that it's worse than the Thunderbolt when it was released? The phone was released 2 days ago, it's a brand new OS, give it time to mature.

7. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +319
    I was just answering your question. :) And yes, at least for my Bolt. 4G killed the Bolt - but 3G/wifi only, I could make it an entire weekend. I can barely make it 12-14 hours on wifi only right now. And I agree, way too early to jump ship with the new OS which clearly has some quirks to work out.

8. Liderc

Liderc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +45
    I got 10hr 53mins on 4G today with 8% left before I charged, are you streaming netflix or anything? Just trying to figure out how I'm seeing such a different result when I know I'm on the phone constantly.

Edit: I'm really not worried about it to be honest, every 4g phone that has been released always improves a great deal after a few updates. That's been the case with the Bolt as you know and the Bionic just greatly improved it's battery life with it's latest update as well.

9. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +319
    I think some phones are dealing with this "Android OS" issue that's running the battery down more than 4G. There's no way I could make it 10 hours on 4G, even with little usage. Haven't streamed a thing. You've probably already seen the XDA thread mentioned earlier in this thread, but also check this: Issue 22878 - android - Galaxy Nexus ICS 'Android OS' High Battery usage - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting - appears to be a software issue, maybe a driver issue. I would be more than happy with 10 hours on 4G the whole time. :)

10. natezire71

natezire71 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I can't even make it a whole day without having to charge. I have ONLY used 3G when using data. Other than that, I've had data turned off. Can't even handle that. :|

View attachment 44092

EDIT: 11 minutes later after posting this, (my wifi signal got better; also, I'm on the computer now, so I haven't used it since my original post), and it's now at 46%. Wat.

#34 natezire71, Dec 17, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  11. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,671
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    Think I'm just in a bad spot too. Never had a good reception at all in this house. I'm not surprised 4g drains the battery so quickly I'm just surprised that Android isn't much more efficient with battery. For a 4g phone I know this is pretty good on battery life. No lie it is much better than my incredible that I used.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Search tags for this page
android battery awake
android battery keep awake
android battery stay awake
android battery use stay awake
android keep awake
android keep awake battery

android os keep awake

android os stay awake

android os stay awake battery
battery android os keep awake