What is "keep awake" under battery stats?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I flashed the 4.0.2 factory image last night to start from scratch... getting much better results today. Still not great, but a definite improvement... Android OS still using too much, but it's a step... this is mostly on wifi, with a couple hours on 4G - and a LOT of usage since I got up this morning.

Dezy mine was like that yesterday too - uber-high... :(

Also someone in that XDA thread posted using a different battery seemed to make a big difference in Android OS' "keep awake" usage... weird.
I haven't restarted and used the phone quite a bit this morning for a good 45minutes. My android OS use went down to 25%....wondering why it would be higher when it's idle. I also use Airdroid whenever I'm home and yet the OS % went down...very strange. I hope 4.0.3 fixes this issue, it's not a huge concern, but certainly puzzling

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
After 6 hours on my screen's at 57% and Android OS is only 16% with the battery at 38%, was full on browsing/video watching/4G LTE entire time ect...

Somethings up on your end for sure with that high Android OS %.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
After 6 hours on my screen's at 57% and Android OS is only 16% with the battery at 38%, was full on browsing/video watching/4G LTE entire time ect...

Somethings up on your end for sure with that high Android OS %.
Don't know, like I said at idle it was at 45%, which I did not touch for a good close to 8hrs as I was sleeping. After use this morning and now (just checked), I'm at 25%. Something strange is going on....

alboboy10

Reaction score
My battery after second charge. You can see its been used.

Your os is killing your battery. Factory reset it. My tb used to do that when rooted. Hated that.

Btw when they introducing this phone they were talking about some setting that shows what app may be miss behaving I don't know where to find it though. Been looking myself.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
My battery after second charge. You can see its been used.

Your os is killing your battery. Factory reset it. My tb used to do that when rooted. Hated that.

Btw when they introducing this phone they were talking about some setting that shows what app may be miss behaving I don't know where to find it though. Been looking myself.
So you had this exact problem with your TB? It's weird though cause when rooting/unlocking the Nexus it asks for a factory reset. Man I just got this phone set up the way I like too...:frown:

alboboy10

Reaction score
So you had this exact problem with your TB? It's weird though cause when rooting/unlocking the Nexus it asks for a factory reset. Man I just got this phone set up the way I like too...:frown:

Oh ye. Happened a lot after I rooted it had a rom for like two months before my phone started having a mind of its own.

One day it was fine the next....same thing. Especially when I held the power button and did a restart.

I'm not rooting this for now don't want problems to start.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Oh ye. Happened a lot after I rooted it had a rom for like two months before my phone started having a mind of its own.

One day it was fine the next....same thing. Especially when I held the power button and did a restart.

I'm not rooting this for now don't want problems to start.
All I did was root it, no ROM.

I'll do Titanium backup and just factory reset tomorrow if this problem still comes up. Thanks!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Seems like the more I use the phone that Android os does go down, now at 19%. After using titanium backup and then now using the DF app

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Android OS should rarely be over 10% right?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Seems like the more I use the phone that Android os does go down, now at 19%. After using titanium backup and then now using the DF app

That chart shows the top users of the battery and they will always add up to approximately 100%. If you leave the screen off for 8 hours and the phone uses 10% of the battery, the Android OS will show a very high percentage on that chart even though the battery only went down 10%. That's why the Android OS percentage drops when you use the screen. The total has to be near 100% on that chart. One thing goes up, something else is going to go down.

Good luck.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
That chart shows the top users of the battery and they will always add up to approximately 100%. If you leave the screen off for 8 hours and the phone uses 10% of the battery, the Android OS will show a very high percentage on that chart even though the battery only went down 10%. That's why the Android OS percentage drops when you use the screen. The total has to be near 100% on that chart. One thing goes up, something else is going to go down.

Good luck.
Yeah battery life is pretty pathetic really. I guess the 4g radio really does eat into the battery. I switched to 3g only and I guess it helped. I always get horrible signal here at my uncles house but this is what I got...pretty bad...now I'm on wifi but been using it quite a bit.
Oh yeah thanks for clarifying that bayou

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why anyone is surprised that 4G is eating the battery, it's been known since the Thunderbolt that was the case.

Until they release 2nd gen LTE radios we pay the price for incredible speeds.

I got 11 hours today without losing 4G once, so that works for me.

Diab210

Reaction score
My battery life, while not awesome doesn't seem too bad. Granted this was with rather light use but its been in and out of 4g and 3g areas with the brightness all the way up until about 4 hours ago when I set it to auto. My phone is rooted too. Maybe its just been in mostly 3g all day? Anyway I can check?
View attachment 44089

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why anyone is surprised that 4G is eating the battery, it's been known since the Thunderbolt that was the case.

Until they release 2nd gen LTE radios we pay the price for incredible speeds.

I got 11 hours today without losing 4G once, so that works for me.

Well I don't think it's all 4G that's the problem for some of us... but if it is, then to answer your question, it's b/c this is by far the worst battery life of any 4G phone I've had, and I've had all of them but the LG Revolution.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well I don't think it's all 4G that's the problem for some of us... but if it is, then to answer your question, it's b/c this is by far the worst battery life of any 4G phone I've had, and I've had all of them but the LG Revolution.

Can you honestly say that it's worse than the Thunderbolt when it was released? The phone was released 2 days ago, it's a brand new OS, give it time to mature.