What is it about Droid home screens?

ForensicDroid

Reaction score
I have a Razr now and it's having the same issue as my original Droid 1. After a certain amount of time with the phone the home screen starts having problems redrawing and is slow coming back up. Today it crashed for the first time. The Razr is obviously faster to recover because of the processors, but it's the same issue.
Do all Droids do this? Anyone know why?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I have a Razr now and it's having the same issue as my original Droid 1. After a certain amount of time with the phone the home screen starts having problems redrawing and is slow coming back up. Today it crashed for the first time. The Razr is obviously faster to recover because of the processors, but it's the same issue.
Do all Droids do this? Anyone know why?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
I've never experienced this problem or heard of other with this problem...doesn't mean they don't exist. Are you using a 3rd party launcher like Launcher Pro or GoLauncher? What widgets do you have on your home screen?

OP
ForensicDroid

ForensicDroid

Reaction score
No third party launcher. Nothing. When I brought up this problem before someone suggested that I use one to correct the problem though. I never did.

mthorn79

Reaction score
I've had the same thing happen...once in a blue moon though. No third party launcher here either. shouldn't be happening with dual cores.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Are you rebooting your phone at all or just leave it on all the time?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

mthorn79

Reaction score
Leave it on most of the time...put i'm sleep mode at night. That would be a great function to add to Smart Actions, memory dump when going into sleep mode in case you don't want to shutdown.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Leave it on most of the time...put i'm sleep mode at night. That would be a great function to add to Smart Actions, memory dump when going into sleep mode in case you don't want to shutdown.

The owners manual for the Razr recommends that you power off your phone every few days.

jerkwad

Reaction score
No third party launcher. Nothing. When I brought up this problem before someone suggested that I use one to correct the problem though. I never did.

Then do it. LOL I agree with those that have recommended a 3rd party launcher.

There are a lot of reasons to make the jump. ADW launcher is excellent... GoLauncher is a decent option too.

You may also benefit from the SuperCharger script if you are rooted.

I am surprised to see people sticking with the stock launcher. It was always laggy and not very intuitive, in my opinion... And lacked so many options.

It is like driving a 1994 pickup truck with manual windows and locks compared to an 2012 merc amg (maybe a bit of a stretch)

OP
ForensicDroid

ForensicDroid

Reaction score
jerkwad said:
Then do it. LOL I agree with those that have recommended a 3rd party launcher.

There are a lot of reasons to make the jump. ADW launcher is excellent... GoLauncher is a decent option too.

You may also benefit from the SuperCharger script if you are rooted.

I am surprised to see people sticking with the stock launcher. It was always laggy and not very intuitive, in my opinion... And lacked so many options.

It is like driving a 1994 pickup truck with manual windows and locks compared to an 2012 merc amg (maybe a bit of a stretch)

Help me understand, what does the 3rd party launcher do extra or better that I should get i.?

megraven21

Reaction score
3rd party launchers have a ridiculous amount of options that the stock doesn't. The way the home screens transition, you can change the font, icons, the app drawer (where all your apps are located), the background screen of the app drawer & the way that transitions....so many things. The best way to see before downloading is open up Go Launcher or ADW in the Play Store and watch the video. In my opinion, Go Launcher has more features than ADW but not as good support from the developers. Its a trade off either way you go. It just depends on what's more important to you. I have both and I like go launcher better but have since went back to stock. I was having a problem with my RAZR power cycling for hours at a time, got upgraded to the Maxx and decided to wait to installed a launcher to see if it happens with this phone. But I must say, I have been really missing go launcher. ;)

On DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

Zandar

Reaction score
What you're experiencing is a redraw caused by the RAZR running out of RAM, not a processor issue. Android will kick your launcher out of memory if it needs the space for something else, then it has to redraw your homescreens when you go back to them.

There's an option in GO Launcher (and others, I'm sure) to make it "system persistent." That should cure your redraw issues.

-Sliced from my RAZR

OP
ForensicDroid

ForensicDroid

Reaction score
I don't have or want the Maxx because of size. So is the launcher going to eat my battery?

Zandar

Reaction score
ForensicDroid said:
I don't have or want the Maxx because of size. So is the launcher going to eat my battery?

I haven't noticed a difference in battery life going from stock to GO Launcher.

-Sliced from my RAZR

OP
ForensicDroid

ForensicDroid

Reaction score
Ok, so I went with ADW launcher. Looks simple enough. I like some of the features, others to me seem superfluous, but I can see the appeal. What I don't like is how difficult it is to move an app from one screen to another. This is something the stock Razr launcher did better than any other phone I've ever had.

Also, I saw the option to keep the home screen on system persistent, but it said underneath "dangerous" so I decided against it. What makes it dangerous?