What is impact of no internet and voice at same time?

MarkDF

Reaction score
What is the actual real world impact of the no voice and internet at the same time? I'm assume that's a limitation of Verizon's network, not the phone.

If I'm surfing the web, will a voice call be ignored, or will the call interrupt the call? If the latter, will I be able to resume browsing where I left off, or will I need to start from wherever the beginning is?

What about when I'm on the web and a text comes in. What happens at that time?

I'm at about 95% decision to get the Droid, but this is the last issue I want to understand.

Thanks.

CoolRalph

Reaction score
well if im at work, i cant use my phone as a phone (though i can text) ;) and when im home im on wifi so i can still talk and browse the net at the same time. i switched from ATT and was scared for this exact reason but its not bad at all.plus wifi is faster :)

medicTHREE

Reaction score
It won't effect you like that at all. What it means is if you are on the phone, you can not go use a web based program unless you hvae wifi enabled and active. It will never prevent a call from coming. You might notice that right after hanging up, you get an email, as data transfer stops during voice calls.

This is a limitation of all CDMA networks. That being said, my brother in law has an iPhone(i think they are cool phones, but the network blows) and it didn't matter that he could do voice and data at the same time when at family thanksgiving, as he had NO service.

I've had very few service problems with the vzw network, but att has really poor data coverage. Sure, they "cover" a lot of the country with voice, but their data network(especially 3g) is tiny.

JayMonster

Reaction score
Caller: Want to go to the movies

On Phone: Sure... at.. ti.. is it... aying?

Caller: I'm sorry... what???

On Phone: I said Sure... what time... aying?

Caller: Hold on, let me walk down the block a little. OK, now what did you say?

On Phone: WHAT TIME... PLAYING?

Caller: Oh, What time is it playing?

Oh Phone: YES!

Caller: let me see... uh... hold on while I bring up my movie guide app... flipping... flipping... flipping... geez, wish I could customize these screens to find my apps... flipping... ah here it is... hold on...

((minutes later))

On Phone: Dude... your eating all my minutes and killing my battery. Just call me back.

Caller: It's still redrawing... just hold on one more minute... ok?

(( silence))

Caller: Hello? Hello? Damn it!

Voice Over: Can you phone and network do that? iPhone... exclusively on the at&t network.

Reaction score
I think ATT is making it seem like your browser window is going to close and you have to redial a connection.

Yes, your web connection will be interrupted but right after a call you can continue.

JayMonster

Reaction score
What at&t mostly "forgets" to cover in this proud "claim" is that it can only be done on their HSDPA (3G) network (you know, the tiny one they don't like Verizon showing) and that this functionality doesn't work on their EDGE network.

Droidude

Reaction score
Using Navigation and Phone @ The Same Time

Have any of you had any problems with Google Map/Navigation not working when talking on the phone? I assume the problem I am having is the inability to have internet access while talking.

BzB

Reaction score
Have any of you had any problems with Google Map/Navigation not working when talking on the phone? I assume the problem I am having is the inability to have internet access while talking.

with gps active, if you load your route/directions prior to making a phone call the route will be cached and navigation still works. the gps will tell you where you are along the route.

if you're on the phone and then try to load a map or navigation it will not load your route until it can download the map, meaning you will need to wait until you get off the phone call to download the info.

so if you know you will need to use navigation, turn on your gps, load your map/route to start navigation, then make your phone call. all good. :)