What is considered a 'Bricked' phone?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Mbk, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Mbk

Mbk Android For Life Theme Developer Premium Member

I've heard that term ever since I got my Droid, and more so after I joined this forum...
    What exactly is considered a 'bricked' phone? I know that there are broken or fried Droids, but is that the only things that's considered bricked?

I always also considered it an unusable Droid for whatever reasons........ stuck on the M logo, unable to boot into recovery...no?
    That happened to me in a situation and I mentioned it here, but was told that was not what is considered bricked....and that made me wonder what exactly everyone considers a 'bricked' Droid.

My Droid got stuck like that with no boot up and no ability to boot into recovery.
    And how I got it back from that state was to connect it to RSDLite on my PC, then access it's bootloader and reflash SPRecovery, then copy over an Update.zip ROM onto my SDCard manually so that SPRecovery could have something to flash with....

Anyways, I've seen that 'term' used over and over again, but it's obvious that different members have different ideas of what 'bricked' really means...

what say you guys... I'd like to know what members think bricked means.
  2. Corinacakes

Corinacakes DF Super Moderator Theme Developer

Bricked means it will NOT TURN ON. It's essentially just a "brick" with no possible way to recover.
  3. Mbk

I know now since you told me that's what bricked means, but I wonder if everyone thinks that as well.... or like I was thinking before which included unbootable Droids?

Anyways, it'd be good to clarify for everyone....
  4. titans

titans Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Corina stated it perfectly. It won't do anything, it's a brick. Won't turn on, won't go to recovery, doesn't work with RSD, etc.
  5. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

Bricked means it is essentially a brick, or a paper weight. It won't do anything, and there is no coming back. In other words, if your phone is working now, it was never a brick, because a brick can never work again. Hope this helps.
  6. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

You have a bricked droid ONLY when you can't boot into one of these 3 things:

1. Your current Rom
    2. Your recovery
    3. The bootloader screen

If you can get into one of these then your droid is not bricked, and you will probably be able to fix it.
  7. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Bricked is permanent, like death.

You don't un-brick a phone. If you do it never was in the first place.

You may think you have bricked your phone but usually you have not.

The term is also usually reserved for when you are doing something to it, software wise, and you screw it up.

Drop it in the toilet and it is fried. It may never turn on again but we don't tend to call it bricked when that happens.

Also, if you run over it with a steamroller then we call it crushed, not bricked.

I suppose if you drop something heavy on it and break the screen you could call it hammered. ;)
  8. thinkmega

thinkmega New Member

what are the reported scenarios caused the phone bricked?

I've played with different ROMs but each time I do wonder if the bootloader will come back ... Knowing the causes help to steer clear.

Thanks.
  9. Tallica

I'm sure there are ways to brick it by screwing with the software enough.

But I know if you are flashing an .sbf and you unplug your phone before it's done, that's a good way to do it!
  10. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

Well then, here's the question......

If I mixed the crushed pieces in with a bunch of clay, formed it into a rectangular shape, and fired it in a kiln..........

Could I then call a device run over by a steamroller "bricked"?

:D
  11. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

If you went to that sort of effort then yes, we would let you call it bricked.

However...not true without pics! :)

And yes, unplugging your phone half-way through a SBF flash that is replacing all software on your phone....rom, boot-recovery tool, etc. That is just a bad idea.
  12. thinkmega

thinkmega New Member

A few days ago (seems a long time) when I tried to flash SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf to my phone, the process ended in failure as per the message I got on the screen. Stun and confused, I pulled the battery out...

When I tried the process the 3rd time (the 2nd ended the same) on a laptop, it worked.

What might have caused this? The PC I used to flash the first two times is a 486 2.66G built in 2003. I suspect the BIOS might be too old to work with nowadays gadgets.

We experienced a power outage next day, luckily during that time I was not doing anything with the phone.

Ever since I use laptop to flash and make sure both are fully charged first.

One thing I am always uncertain is the quality of either Clockworkmod or SPRecovery.

When using these programs alone, they appear to be stable. However, the restoration process was hang when using SPRecovery, which was flashed by ROM Manager. What to blame? Nothing. These are the tools we have today and it is the risk associated with the adventure.

Maybe I should learn to enjoy the new features more as opposed to digging deeper what else I can do.... I bet there are a lot of customization if I knew how. ....At the end, the update to 2.2/root has served me well.
  13. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

14. TuBitMittens

TuBitMittens Member

I JUST HAD A FCKING HEART ATTACK A MINUTE AGO...I have a BB and I'm tryna figure out how to install these cusom themes...and well my phone was stuck on the motorola logo. *PANT PANT PANT* LMAO...
  15. Mbk

Lmao guys..... we got a bunch of comedians eh??? ...lol
    Well I guess that I can never really consider my Droid bricked then since I can pretty much rec@over it from any state other than an outright hardware failure, and even then I'd try to fix that as well..lol... so it appears that I had too broad a view as to what bricked could mean...... ;p ...thanks for the feedback guys.

At least now newer members can see that our Droids can be revived from almost any state..... where as before some considered their Droids bricked when failing to boot up because they didn't know how to use RSDLite or recoveries........and now they know...lol

OK...then my Droid was 'almost' bricked when trying to customize a forbidden ROM...lol

Have a good one guys
  16. Tallica

LOL, any chance to take a little dig at UD, huh Mbk?
  17. Mbk

Lol.... that wasn't how I meant it... anywys, I sure it's a decent ROM considering how many members like it , just wasn't working right for my particular Droid and how I like to customize.......

Cheers everyone..... enjoy the rest of the day and eve......
  18. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Corina is correct. A lot of people misuse the term and are diluting its meaning.
  19. Mbk

Well you're a little late to the party Bro...lol... but as for diluting the meaning or whatever .... the term 'bricked' is a slang, it can mean whatever each individual wants it to mean. So there is really no need to say that anyone 'must' abide by any one view of what it could mean..... just a guideline for everyone to go by.... meaning that it is completely unsavable...
    To many here a Droid stuck on the M might be bricked to them because they cannot or are scared to try and recover it.... and to some a Droid that doesn't ev en boot to the M might be considered savable or recoverable...

Just my humble opinion
  20. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

Imagine if you kept "bricking" Droids.....alot of Droids. So many you build a house out of bricked Droids. Then one unsuspecting day all of your Droids are jolted back to life and your whole house Screams DROOIID
Search tags for this page

bricked meaning

bricked phone meaning

meaning of bricked
meaning of bricked phone

phone bricked meaning

phone bricked means
phone is bricked meaning
what happens if you brick your phone
what happens to a bricked phone
what happens when a phone is bricked
what happens when you brick your phone