What is Android most similar too?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Benny, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Benny

Benny New Member

I know php and C++ and I want to learn how to develop Android apps. To all you fellow developers out there: What is Android most similar too? Will knowing php and C++ be enough?
  2. Dibrom

Dibrom New Member

As far as I know it uses Java. Knowing C++ should be close enough to be familiar with the format.
  3. hayaku

hayaku New Member

the os is linux and most of the source for the kernel, drivers and such are in c/c++. the apps are in java.
  4. jnev

jnev New Member

The android API is written in java and the layout files are all xml. Depending on the app, knowing SQL is useful.

Assuming you know the basics of OOP (object-oriented programming), java won't be too much of a jump.
  5. droid_mike

droid_mike New Member

As everyone else has said, the language is Java which is stripped down C++, so you should have few problems with that. The framework, however, is very closely related to the original PalmOS and original MacOS, in that you have to specify specific resources at compile time. The Android folks certainly took a lot of ideas from Palm in regards to app programming. Application design is very similar.