What is an mr2 radio?

kookk

Reaction score
I've seen on the cm7 downloads that some are for mr1 and some are for mr2 radios.

Is there an advantage of one over the other? How do I know which one I have?

Sent from my ThunderBolt

derek33

Reaction score
I have been rooting thunderbolts for a while now and to my knowledge the mr2 radio puts gingerbread on your thunderbolt. For example say you flashed a thunderstick rom with sense 3.0 on to your thunderbolt, if you dont have the mr2 radio you will not get any service and get a error message which can make you mad. So you just flash the mr2 radio on there and you let it reboot after flash\ing and you will get service and have gingerbread 2.3.3.

here is a link to the mr2 an mr2.5 radios

[RADIOS]MR2 and MR2.5 radios - xda-developers

here is a link to natemills video great instructions and really easy

[video=youtube;eu-KLjHGGhc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu-KLjHGGhc]‪How To Flash Radios To The HTC Thunderbolt‬‏ - YouTube[/video]

turdbogls

Reaction score
MR1 update was the dreaded "reboot" update that verizon pushed out. this brought TONS of issues. while it seems to work OK, if you have an option to run an MR2 radio, do it as they are better.

MR2 didn't put gingerbread on the phone...it is just the radio that is compatable with gingerbread ROM's.

OP
K

kookk

Reaction score
Ok because I'm on mr1 cm7. Will I experience a difference in performance if I install an mr2?

Sent from my ThunderBolt

OP
K

kookk

Reaction score
Actually how do I tell which one I'm on? I've had the phone for 4 days so it may have the update

Sent from my ThunderBolt

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You have mr1. If you plan on running cm7, I would suggest flashing the mr2 version of cm7 and the mr2 radio.

Sent from my ThunderBolt using Tapatalk

OP
K

kookk

Reaction score
In the video he says to heck the md5 sum...check it for what?

Sent from my ThunderBolt

derek33

Reaction score
The md5 sums it is a way to check that you have the correct file. If you rooted the Thunderbolt threw adb then you would have done it while checking the sums to make sure of the files. Also i thought that the mr2 radio was the gingerbread radio....

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You check md5 sums to make sure the file downloaded correctly and the file did not become corrupt. The md5 sum of the file you downloaded should match the one posted with the file.

Sent from my ThunderBolt using Tapatalk

derek33

Reaction score
o ok that part was a little hazy for me thanks for clearing it up for me