What is a ROM, How do I install it? Which is the best?

1694kyle

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

shmoo

Reaction score
Alright were all startin to go a little overboard here. Let's all step back...drink a beer and simmer down. Hahaha

Sent from my OG Droid using Tapatalk Pro

The_Iceman

Reaction score
hrmmmmmmmmmmmmm ... interesting thread.

All I can say is .... I was under the impression asking questions (whether NOOB or advanced questions) were what message boards were all about.

no different than going to a "chevy" forum and asking about the best wax to use on a corvette or how to tear apart the engine.

For those who have been creating roms, or installing roms more often than they change their underwear .... Kudos to you all.

The way to not shun people away to go to different boards is to be helpful in any way possible. There are always 'new" owners. There are people like me who are brand new to the droid market (had iphones for years) ... so just because features, such as rooting, roms, themes, are 2nd nature to you now as you have probably had your droids for quite awhile .... there are new droid users every day and are just as interested in sharing in the excitement of what they can do and how they can be modified. We just lack the "experience" of doing it.

I've also read many posts on the net about peeps bricking their phone (one post I remember says he has gone through 6 droids.... seems maybe questions should have been asked..... instead of swapping phones every month or 2.

In any event people need to realize there are brand new droid users each and every day .... and they will get the information they want. Whether it be from this message board or one of the other 250 droid message boards out there.

Noob Droid User

motomech10

Reaction score
As I ask in the Title?

What is a ROM?
How do I install it?
Where Do I download it from?
Which is the best?
What does it improve?
What are the risks?

Thanks!

Now that I'm at a computer let me respond.

-A rom is a custom operating system made by developers.

-You can install through many methods. Rom Manager being one

-Some roms can be downloaded right here from the forums, others through rom manager. It's really based off of personal preference.

-Once again based off of personal prefrence.

- Custom roms can improve quite a few different things. ex. faster speeds, use of less memory, even neat little tweaks to make your phone more enjoyable.

-Rooting theming or putting custom roms on your phone can always be a risk.
Messing with the operating systems and its OG designs can cause issues. There are always solutions to almost every problem.

Do like I did. It took me about a month of reading post after post to even get the nerve to just root my phone. I was prepared though when I finally crossed that fence.

Once again if you have any issues or problems , thats what these forums are here for.

Not the most detailed response but I hope I answered a few questions. And I know that my grammar is horrible so no comments lol

That was a big help thanks.

NYDroid

Reaction score
I'm a new Droid X user and new to the forum as well. Even though I think everyone talked it out regarding this thread, I just want to say thank you to those individuals who's willing to answer a stupid question, or even bothered to provide an answer which could of been searched by the OP. I just rooted my phone a few days ago and I happen to be stuck with the same questions he asked regarding the installation of roms. Thx again from my behalf to those who's willing to help the new guys out.

lw670

Reaction score
I was actually searching for this information on the forum when I came across this thread, so I guess it worked. Im a new Droid X owner myself and was wondering the same things! Thanks to those who helped!

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Seriously... People are saying, "don't jump on the guy he's new to this stuff." But c'mon. On my first droid, I rooted it (the hard way) and installed about 20 roms and never asked a single question on the forums. I'm a tile installer and I had 0 experience with ANY of this stuff (I'm talking about NONE WHATSOEVER) but I do know how to google and hit the button that says "search".
I'm def not patting myself on the back because I'm still a noob compared to some people on here, but these forums need to stay clean and un-cluttered so that they're easy to navigate.

Lol!!! Some people are just born into genius., like yourself.

Me on the other hand, still ask questions to answers I already know, because I always get different opinions. And there is nothing wrong with that.

As for "easy to navigate." Wow! These forums couldn't be any easier to navigate through. You find a thread and click. You could always buy a Garmin phone.

See? Doesn't feel good with people making fun of you.

Like it's been said before, Don't quote or respond if it's gonna be negative:)

Last edited:

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Now I have a question:)

Say I install a theme that installs deodex for me like the 928DroidBlackGlassX-DroidX-OTA2315-DeOdexEERR-THEME. Now, if I install a ROM over that does it use that deodex? Or overwrite the file since it came with the theme?

I ask because I don't know how to manually deodex my DX, 2.2 OTA. I have a zip file for a deodex but have read it does not work. Something is missing from the file.

Thank you for any response:)

Rockee

Reaction score
Now I have a question:)

Say I install a theme that installs deodex for me like the 928DroidBlackGlassX-DroidX-OTA2315-DeOdexEERR-THEME. Now, if I install a ROM over that does it use that deodex? Or overwrite the file since it came with the theme?

I ask because I don't know how to manually deodex my DX, 2.2 OTA. I have a zip file for a deodex but have read it does not work. Something is missing from the file.

Thank you for any response:)

Personally, I would manually deodex my phone... Its really simple to do, especially with the latest update.

Instructions: [HOW-TO] Manually deodex your phone. - Droid X Releases - AllDroid Public Board - [HOW-TO] Manually deodex your phone. - Droid X Releases - AllDroid Public Board - AllDroid.org > Home

Application Info/Download: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/xeudoxus/47283-release-xultimate.html

NYDroid

Reaction score
It's strongly recommended that you installed the ROM of your choice first before you installed the 928 or any themes in that matter. Not only that, you should install your choosen ROM and run it for a day or 2 before you install the theme.

That way, if anything goes wrong, you'll know it's the ROM, not the theme. Once you installed the ROM, you can still deoxed.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's strongly recommended that you installed the ROM of your choice first before you installed the 928 or any themes in that matter. Not only that, you should install your choosen ROM and run it for a day or 2 before you install the theme.

That way, if anything goes wrong, you'll know it's the ROM, not the theme. Once you installed the ROM, you can still deoxed.

Thank you! I appreciate the speedy response.

I will do so. As of now I only see a couple ROM's that are made for DX with the 2.2 OTA. So I may hold off for a few.

Droid74

Reaction score
Im new to this stuff as well and people have been very helpful to me so i appreciate it. However, i figured a lot out by reading, there is a ton of great information in these pages....that said...

Rubix Blurry FTW!!!!!!

Its fast and responsive and VERY easy to install. Each ROM has its advantages. I like this one because the developer is always available it seems and thats why i chose RubyX.

Last edited: