What if I dont want ICS?

Raydee35

Reaction score
Ok I know some of you guys must think I am nuts and maybe I am but I dont want ICS on my Razr. The main and maybe the only reason is because I dont want to be stuck using 4G all the time as it kills my battery. From what I have read and maybe that has changed there is no way to turn off the 4G and just use 3G. Battery life on my original Razr is not that great as it is and I am betting with the new ROM and running 4G all the time it will be even worse. Once the update come's can I remove it from my SD card so that way it wont try to install or will I just keep getting the update over and over until it drives me crazy?

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Someone posted a link in another thread with how you can change it to 3G. I did it last night and it worked like a charm. I think the app name is LTE On/Off for HTC Thunderbolt. It takes you into the Phone Info screen, scroll down to right above where it says 'Turn Off Radio' and there will be a drop-down list. Select CDMA Only from the list, and you're all set :)

bullswife98

Reaction score
There has to be a way to turn it off. I say this only cuz I don't have it in my area, or even live close to a 4g area. To only have 4g and no way to shut it off would render my Razr useless. I read on another forum (maybe XDA) that you go to settings > wireless conections > and where it once said cdma only its now globle. Not sure but that is what I understood it to be. Will have to research on it more.

TAG YOUR IT!!!
VERIZON DROID RAZR Original :)

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok I know some of you guys must think I am nuts and maybe I am but I dont want ICS on my Razr. The main and maybe the only reason is because I dont want to be stuck using 4G all the time as it kills my battery. From what I have read and maybe that has changed there is no way to turn off the 4G and just use 3G. Battery life on my original Razr is not that great as it is and I am betting with the new ROM and running 4G all the time it will be even worse. Once the update come's can I remove it from my SD card so that way it wont try to install or will I just keep getting the update over and over until it drives me crazy?

There has to be a way to turn it off. I say this only cuz I don't have it in my area, or even live close to a 4g area. To only have 4g and no way to shut it off would render my Razr useless. I read on another forum (maybe XDA) that you go to settings > wireless conections > and where it once said cdma only its now globle. Not sure but that is what I understood it to be. Will have to research on it more.

TAG YOUR IT!!!

Hope this helps:

[How To] Enable 3G only mode
As some of you may have noticed there is no choice in the network settings for 3G only. But actually there is. Here is how to do it....

1. Open the dialer and type *#*#4636#*#*
2. A menu will appear – choose “Phone information.”
3. Scroll down until you see the pulldown menu for “LTE/CDMA/EvDo/etc.”
4. Tap on that menu and choose “CDMA Auto (PRL).”
4. Hit the back button to get out of these menus and to your home screen.
5. Wait 20-30 seconds and watch your 4G LTE logo turn to 3G.
6. To confirm you are on 3G only, head into System Settings and tap on the “More…” button.
7. Tap “Mobile Networks” and “Network type and strength” to see something like this:

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Hope this helps:

[How To] Enable 3G only mode
As some of you may have noticed there is no choice in the network settings for 3G only. But actually there is. Here is how to do it....

1. Open the dialer and type *#*#4636#*#*
2. A menu will appear – choose “Phone information.”
3. Scroll down until you see the pulldown menu for “LTE/CDMA/EvDo/etc.”
4. Tap on that menu and choose “CDMA Auto (PRL).”
4. Hit the back button to get out of these menus and to your home screen.
5. Wait 20-30 seconds and watch your 4G LTE logo turn to 3G.
6. To confirm you are on 3G only, head into System Settings and tap on the “More…” button.
7. Tap “Mobile Networks” and “Network type and strength” to see something like this:​

"to see something like"...I think your image didn't post.

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
I have ICS on my Xoom and you can switch from CDMA only to CDMA/LTE. settings/wireless & networks/more/mobile networks/network mode

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I have ICS on my Xoom and you can switch from CDMA only to CDMA/LTE. settings/wireless & networks/more/mobile networks/network mode

That may very well be true but with the update to .211 on the Droid RAZRs, it is now only 3 choices...Global, LTE/CDMA, & GSM/UMTS. Some have speculated that Global was the "new CDMA only" but that's not true...Global is essentially all of the above.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Someone posted a link in another thread with how you can change it to 3G. I did it last night and it worked like a charm. I think the app name is LTE On/Off for HTC Thunderbolt. It takes you into the Phone Info screen, scroll down to right above where it says 'Turn Off Radio' and there will be a drop-down list. Select CDMA Only from the list, and you're all set :)

And for those that want to revert back to default, it's in that same menu..."LTE/CDMA/EvDo/GSM/WCDMA" (for Global), and "LTE/CDMA/EvDo" (for LTE/CDMA - if you don't want Global access).

xtor

Reaction score
Wouldn't 4g switch to 3g if 4g wasn't available in your area Automatically ?

sent from droid REPLICATOR

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't 4g switch to 3g if 4g wasn't available in your area Automatically ?

sent from droid REPLICATOR

No expert by far but, I think having the two(2) radios "on" there is still a signal hunt that is the energy user. Shut it off and the hunt goes the way of the head.

Shutting my 4G off on GB was a BIG power saver and I am rarely in 4G land.

bullswife98

Reaction score
Exactly, since I'm not in a 4g area it will continually search for a signal much like it would on wifi when no wifi available,therefore chewing literally through my battery. Unfortunately I've been told that my rural area will never see 4g not even LTE. bummed. :(

TAG YOUR IT!!!