What I learned about transfering music via drag & drop...

Starsushi

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I'm posting what I learned from my experience...

The way I transferred my music over from computer to Droid was the drag and drop method. I went this way and not the Widows Media Player route because for some reason not all songs where showing up there and I didn't want to deal with that mess.

However...

What I discovered doing drag and drop is that if you just grab the whole lot from your computer at one time and take it onto the SD card there will be a lot of problems. Such as a bunch of unknown artists, songs being out of order, etc. So I then deleted everything and started over.

What I did the second time around is to -

1) Go into each artist folder on the computer and then drag and drop the individual album to the music folder on the SD card.

2) Be careful of compilations as they will all be in each artists' folder on the computer. So you have to create a new folder on the SD card named as an album, then drag and drop each song on its own from the artist folder on the computer to the album folder on the SD card. Since each song has a play order number in front of the name, I then sorted by name just to make sure that it all works ok.

Yes, this was a pain in the butt, time consuming process. But now everything is the way it should be and I am a very happy camper. :biggrin:

JFDroid

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I'm posting what I learned from my experience...

The way I transferred my music over from computer to Droid was the drag and drop method. I went this way and not the Widows Media Player route because for some reason not all songs where showing up there and I didn't want to deal with that mess.

However...

What I discovered doing drag and drop is that if you just grab the whole lot from your computer at one time and take it onto the SD card there will be a lot of problems. Such as a bunch of unknown artists, songs being out of order, etc. So I then deleted everything and started over.

What I did the second time around is to -

1) Go into each artist folder on the computer and then drag and drop the individual album to the music folder on the SD card.

2) Be careful of compilations as they will all be in each artists' folder on the computer. So you have to create a new folder on the SD card named as an album, then drag and drop each song on its own from the artist folder on the computer to the album folder on the SD card. Since each song has a play order number in front of the name, I then sorted by name just to make sure that it all works ok.

Yes, this was a pain in the butt, time consuming process. But now everything is the way it should be and I am a very happy camper. :biggrin:

Your tags were probably just never edited to be correct. From what I know, if you edit a track's album/artist info in iTunes, it doesn't necessarily edit the tag associated with that file. So if your iTunes library is perfectly organized, it won't necessarily be the same way if you use a drag and drop method.

I used a program called Tag Scanner (for PC), which allowed me to batch edit and it was pretty easy. I copied all my music over - then used Tag Scanner's tag editor tool to edit all the tags that weren't labeled correctly. Pretty painless, and for 1500 songs it took about an hour. Granted, a good portion of my tags were already correct - but I've been using drag & drop off and on with different devices for some time.