What have YOU done with Tasker?

lieti

Reaction score
HELLo I´m not able to read almost 80 oages, so sorry for direct asking O:)
I´m trying to solve few situation in Tasker

First: I want to make domething like battery saving profile with turning on/of internet connection. For instance default ist turn off and it is turnet on every 30 minuts for 5 minut to fetch all data (forecast, mails, news feed, etc), also it will be turned on when I open manualy aplication which require connection (opera, email, imo.im).
In this case I have to rough idea how to solve it.
But what I wan´t to do is, in case of few aplications what need constant internet connection (messenger, internet radio) will be internet still alive.
But I have no idea how to manage it. I know that it is possibility to make profile based on aplication running but in foreground, but this kind of aplication are running many times on background, so I have no Idea how to manage it. So this is most inportan question.

Second: Exist some way how I can work with time of next alarm, for instance the device will turn on internet connection 15 minuts before alarm and it will fetch all ncessary data from internet till wake me up.
Unfortunately in menu On Event - Alarm Clock I have asterix and tasker write something like "Sorry this event is unavailable on this device". I using Alarm Clock Plus v2 and if it will be possible I want to combine it with tasker.
Also with time is connected another question, it is some easy way to make widget for asking to duration od next task? For instance how long I want to have night mode? Unfortunately time base wiget start task after the elapsed time, not during the elapsed time.

Third: Can I modify with widget (or task) modify currently running task? For instance my task with "night mode" is set for 8 hours from now with settings that everybody can wake me up during the night, but then I decide that i want to modify this to posiblitty for be waked up by predefined numbers.

Thanks for any advice

dirtyfingers

Reaction score
Why have I not been using tasker until now? This app is sick! Within the first hour of installing it I already have tasks set up to; connect to wifi when I am in range of my home network and turn it off when im not at home, turn on gps when certain apps such as maps are opened then turn it off when they close, open winamp when I plug in my headphones, and talk to me when I plug in the charger. This is the most powerful app out there in my opinion and I cant wait to create some more tasks!

grok

Reaction score
lock screen delayed?

this thread is way cool. I have learned a lot already. thanks.
now I have a question.

with froyo, the screen lock setup has changed. especially when implementing exchange security (where you have to enter a code, not a pattern, enforced by corporate email), each time when the screen goes off, the phone would also lock at the same time.

older screen locker apps do not to work anymore on 2.2.1 as google has changed the API for locking.

I am looking for a way to dimm the screen down to zero (or close to zero brightness or switch it off), while at the same time NOT locking the device (SGS, stock ROM 2.2.1, speedmod kernel). After a short timeout (say 20 seconds).
I can set the lock time to 10 minutes, but during this time, the screen is not dimming.

Display timeout = 20 seconds
Lock timeout = 10 minute

I do not natively speak english. so please forgive my repetitons.

I guess what I look for is the right context, something like "start-
task-when-device-has-not-done-anything-for-x-seconds" (or there was no input of any sort). then I would use the the display brightness action to dim the screen down.

or is there another way to implement a timeout for my need?

thanks for any idea.

phanmo

Reaction score
Hi, I am a totally new to Tasker. I am having problems creating the most simple task. Sorry in advance for the following question:

If Google Maps runs in in the foreground for more than one minute without user interaction, the screen light should be dimmed to 5%. If I touch the display, it should go back to its original brightness.

Alternative: Same as above, but screen is turned completely off after one minute without user interaction. A simple touch on the screen brings it back to its original brightness.

Please?
I will try to work on this today. I think it can be done.
I'm having trouble getting this to work. If I fix it in the future I will let you know.

I have something like this that works, although it doesn't use a screen touch, it uses the proximity sensor.

Profile 1 : context - Application(whatever app you want),
enter tasks - Tasker/Wait 1 Minute(or whatever), Variable/Variable Set %SCRDIM to 1
exit tasks - Variable/Variable Clear %SCRDIM, Variable/Variable Clear %SCROUT, Display/Auto Brightness Set On

Profile 2 : context - Event/Variable Set %SCRDIM to 1,
tasks - Display/Auto Brightness Set Off, Display/Display Brightness to 0(or whatever brightness you want), Variable/Variable Set %SCROUT to 1

Profile 3 : context - State/Variable Value %SCROUT matches 1, Event/Proximity Sensor,
exit tasks - Variable/Variable Set %SCRDIM to 0, Display/Display Brightness to 255(or whatever you prefer), Tasker/Wait 1 minute( or whatever), Variable/Variable Set %SCRDIM to 1

Make sure you move the tasks for the third profile to Exit.

Basically once you start the specified app, it dims the display after a set time, once it's been dimmed all you have to do is pass your hand over the phone and the display lights up again for the set time, then dims again etc etc etc.

You might want to put a Set Display Timeout in there somewhere, I'm not sure how it'll react if the timeout is short. I only use this profile when I'm using another one that sets my timeout to one hour.

I've got the usual Wifi Home type profiles, along with sync, low battery, and boot silencing. I've also got a couple that read me my text messages and announce who's calling when I'm using my headphones, as well as a night reading profile so I can toggle quickly between auto brightness and the lowest setting. I wanted to check that my sync was working so I came up with a few not-too-complicated data monitoring profiles too.

Hope someone can get some use out of this!

Longtime lurker, first time poster! Excellent thread!

EDIT: Oops, just realized that this will dim the screen regardless of whether you're interacting with the specified app, it doesn't apply to what I use it for so I never thought about it.

Last edited:

stevenfmurray

Reaction score
I've created several ring profiles (Default, Silent, Vibrate, Bedside)

I'm having trouble getting the Vibrate profile to actually vibrate when I receive an email or text.

Silent mode > vibrate
Vibrate on notify > on
Vibrate > time - 500
Media Volume > Level 0
Alarm Volume > Level 0
Notify > Title: Vibrate

I know I'm missing something, but I just can't figure out what it is. Thanks in advance.

phanmo

Reaction score
I've created several ring profiles (Default, Silent, Vibrate, Bedside)

I'm having trouble getting the Vibrate profile to actually vibrate when I receive an email or text.

Silent mode > vibrate
Vibrate on notify > on
Vibrate > time - 500
Media Volume > Level 0
Alarm Volume > Level 0
Notify > Title: Vibrate

I know I'm missing something, but I just can't figure out what it is. Thanks in advance.

Do you not have a vibrate-only profile built into your phone?

esheesle

Reaction score
Created volume profiles tasks

Created a set of tasks (including a menu) which can be used to change between various volume profiles. I also modified the Missed Notification set found on the Tasker wiki to integrate with the volume set I made. I love the missed notification stuff but found that it would vibrate my phone anytime the volume was down unless the phone was set to Silent mode so the version on my site uses variables between the tasks to know the proper settings.

Site is here for any that want the profiles/tasks:
Swlr.net

Ranevik

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just got tasker and I'm having problems creating a seemingly easy task for it. All im trying to do at the moment is to create a task where if the gps was turned on, a pop up would show saying that it was turned on. I've been fiddling around with it all day and for some reason can't get it to work. I'm probably doing something wrong... Can anyone help? :(

Thanks!

FRATBoy

Reaction score
I want to have a profile that has 2 sets of conditions joined by an AND operator. It seems they are only joined as an OR currently.

If Keyboard Open AND Unread Text then Launch Messaging.

When I add both Unread Text and Keyboard Open to a profile, Messaging opens regardless of having an Unread Text.

bodean

Reaction score
Its a shame with the new GB Roms, you can no longer use the Action GPS feature in Tasker..........that was a major feature I used all the time =(

bkendrick

Reaction score
Nevermind....found it! Make directory under SD/tasker/.icn/mycons.

DX. CFU. LIB 1.5.

IR1UR2

Reaction score
Need some help, please.
Can't get the task "say" to say the variable value.
is there maybe a specific TTS engine i need instead of the default one i have?

kirra27

Reaction score
hey everyone
there was a post on page 16 i think about announcing how many messages you had as they came in. it wasnt explained how he set it up and i didnt see any further walk through in the thread. Ive been trying and failing to set this up. can anyone give me some help, or better yet, if you have it as a profile, post screenshots? thanks everyone. this app is driving me nuts but its so much fun to screw with

I sent you a PM. For everyone else who's interested follow this tutorial: [Tutorial] How to set up sms/call/email count with tasker and minimalistic text - xda-developers