What have YOU done with Tasker?

atnbirdie

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on getting a map generated. That's cool and lends it self to a "Here I am" SMS profile I'm going to write. ;-)
Steve

I knew it sounded too easy! Now all I have to do is figure out if Tasker can stop and wait for a phone number to be input. Haven't seen a way to do that yet. Anyone know if it can be done?

iherbivore

Reaction score
You can have tasks run when an application launches, so yeah, when the car dock app opens you can have tasker do whatever you like.

iherbivore, I'm not sure what you're asking for - what kind of headset are we talking about? I know that one of the more common profiles is setting up Pandora to open automatically when you insert headphones...

And in my experience, Pandora automatically starts playing when opened.

Thanks for the reply.
OK, the big picture:
I where a wired headset (with a mic and one button) at work so I can both listen to pandora and take calls. Taking calls works fine, pandora pauses when I push the button and the call is answered. However, when there is no incoming call and I just want to pause pandora the button does not work correctly: It just launches voice commands on top of already playing pandora.
I have been looking for a solution to that since day one, I thought Tasker might be it but now I am not so sure.

The second part is when I am done with work and get in my car and put it in the dock. I set tasker to turn on gps, bluetooth (for my stereo), and pandora. But Pandora just comes to the front without actually starting to play. I guess because it is already running?

OP

25cents

Reaction score
@iherbivore: With the first situation, I don't think Tasker is your solution. I think that may be something you'll want to contact Pandora or the device mfr. about.

For the dock, I'd bet that Pandora already being open is your issue.

@atnbirdie: I'm not too clear on what you're asking.

atnbirdie

Reaction score
@atnbirdie: I'm not too clear on what you're asking.

I wanted to have Tasker get my GPS location and send an SMS to the person of my choosing, but wanted it to stop and let me put in the phone number. I just figured out that if I just use "compose SMS" (or email) and fill in the subject and body with a link to the map generated based on GPS coordinates, what I end up with is an SMS/email just waiting for me to enter the appropriate number/address. I just develop it as a Task so I can place a widget on my home screen to activate it.
I've made the email widget and it works perfectly. There is just the lag (I put in 15secs which seems to work) to allow GPS time to get its bearings and then I have an open email in which I put an address and hit 'send'. Now to the SMS version...

OP

25cents

Reaction score
should work fine using "compose sms" w/a blank number and "%BATT %LOC" in the body.

how are you getting the link to the map in your email?

Last edited:

atnbirdie

Reaction score
how are you getting the link to the map in your email?

Sorry, thought I'd picked that technique up here, but it was from elsewhere. Once you turn on GPS, then set up a Get HTTP function. I got it from this Wiki Profile: Locatephone - Tasker Wiki
Just copy the server location text to the first line of the Get HTTP function then in the message/email body enter %HTTPD and the link to your Google Map, based on your GPS coordinates, pops up. I drop the GPS coordinates and battery level info as it isn't relevant to letting someone know where I am.
Steve

OP

25cents

Reaction score
Awesome, that's way more efficient. Thanks!

Probably not a bad idea for me to remove voice from my phone so I'm not showing whoever has my phone that I know where they are.

iherbivore

Reaction score
@iherbivore: With the first situation, I don't think Tasker is your solution. I think that may be something you'll want to contact Pandora or the device mfr. about.

It seems like it should work, I set the STOP flag in the media button event context. This should keep the voice commands from receiving the button event, but it doesn't. Can you think of what I might be doing wrong, or how to know what button I am actually pushing as far as the phone is concerned?

OP

25cents

Reaction score
Honestly, no. Like I said, I'm not sure Tasker has the ability to create profiles based on secondary hardware (aka headset buttons) - I'm pretty sure all contexts are based on hardware that's actually part of your phone. The Tasker forums might be a better place to ask your question though, as I'm certainly no expert.

Droids

Reaction score
Slightly off topic but don't forget to get Pent's File Magic file manager. Blows the doors off Astro and it'll be forever free, and ad-free too. Has native hooks into Tasker.

iherbivore

Reaction score
Honestly, no. Like I said, I'm not sure Tasker has the ability to create profiles based on secondary hardware (aka headset buttons) - I'm pretty sure all contexts are based on hardware that's actually part of your phone. The Tasker forums might be a better place to ask your question though, as I'm certainly no expert.

Ah, I see. The media button events in android are in fact for button presses on items such as headsets and bluetooth devices, hence my confusion as to why this doesn't work. But I will mosy to the tasker forum like you suggested and see. Thanks

OP

25cents

Reaction score
No problem. Droids - does Pents file manager give r/w permissions like root explorer? If not, I think I'm set.

rolandct

Reaction score
Docks

I use it for my docks:

Car: Turn Wifi off, Bluetooth and GPS on

Desk: Turn off Wifi/BT/GPS, set notification volume to max (need to get work texts in middle of night), set alarm to max sound, set ringer to 50% sound

Now I don't worry about tno waking up for an alarm or text in the middle of the night.

Now if there a way to have it control sound based on who the text is from that would be great so only work texts wake me up.

Droids

Reaction score
No problem. Droids - does Pents file manager give r/w permissions like root explorer? If not, I think I'm set.
Doesn't look like you can edit permissions, but you can encrypt files and folders. I also use Root Explorer and wouldn't give it up, but File Magic is nice to have around too.

OP

25cents

Reaction score
I use it for my docks:

Car: Turn Wifi off, Bluetooth and GPS on

Desk: Turn off Wifi/BT/GPS, set notification volume to max (need to get work texts in middle of night), set alarm to max sound, set ringer to 50% sound

Now I don't worry about tno waking up for an alarm or text in the middle of the night.

Now if there a way to have it control sound based on who the text is from that would be great so only work texts wake me up.

You can set a context for receiving an SMS from any number you want...