What give now 1 click root doesnt work??

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
Thanks you guys but i hate the long root method. I like the easy one sorry the long one is too complicated , I was so surprise that i flashed roms as that was a little confusing too.

In all honesty, and not trying to be mean, just saying the truth, if the long method is "too complicated", then you probably shouldn't be rooted. The "long method" is the only sure fire way to fix a phone, unless you have a corrupt bootloader or hardware failure, which both are VERY hard...

Well, +1 to that. I'd also add however that everyone that thinks the long way is too hard absolutely should just run without root until the developers fix Easy Root or Universal Androot, or IAAFIAJWTPAB or whatever. Root will be waiting for you whenever that day comes.

fiver643

Reaction score
i used the one click root and it sucked donkey balls. i found a kid on craigslist that rooted my phone for me the "long way" for $20. cant beat that with a baseball bat lol. he also put a boat load of free/paid apps on my sd for me. dancedroid

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Thanks you guys but i hate the long root method. I like the easy one sorry the long one is too complicated , I was so surprise that i flashed roms as that was a little confusing too.

In all honesty, and not trying to be mean, just saying the truth, if the long method is "too complicated", then you probably shouldn't be rooted. The "long method" is the only sure fire way to fix a phone, unless you have a corrupt bootloader or hardware failure, which both are VERY hard...

Well, +1 to that. I'd also add however that everyone that thinks the long way is too hard absolutely should just run without root until the developers fix Easy Root or Universal Androot, or IAAFIAJWTPAB or whatever. Root will be waiting for you whenever that day comes.

Looks like EasyRoot will never work with FRG22D. Not sure about Androot, but it may not either. Droid 2.2 – The future - Unstable Apps

ndoren

Reaction score
Yes, I have Sapphire. Sorry if I miscommunicated. I've never received an OTA notification but I seen lots of posts from folks who claim to be rooted who receive the OTA notification.

You on Gtalk?

If you are rooted with the stock ROM, you WILL receive OTA update notifications. That feature has been removed from most custom ROMs. For those who want to block OTA updates with a rooted, stock ROM, you need to install a custom recovery (SPRecovery or Clockworkmod),and that will block the OTA update when you accept the invitation.

Thus, being "rooted," having a "custom recovery" and a "custom ROM" are all different animals.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have Sapphire. Sorry if I miscommunicated. I've never received an OTA notification but I seen lots of posts from folks who claim to be rooted who receive the OTA notification.

You on Gtalk?

If you are rooted with the stock ROM, you WILL receive OTA update notifications. That feature has been removed from most custom ROMs. For those who want to block OTA updates with a rooted, stock ROM, you need to install a custom recovery (SPRecovery or Clockworkmod),and that will block the OTA update when you accept the invitation.

Thus, being "rooted," having a "custom recovery" and a "custom ROM" are all different animals.

You don't need a custom recovery to block an OTA. Just having root can be enough if you know what you are doing. A custom recovery can block the update, but it can pop back up too, requiring you to re download and block it again. Just a few things to point out :)

ndoren

Reaction score
Well just as a matter of semantics... having root does not block OTAs. However, having root gives you the ability to modify your OS appropriately to block the OTAs, as you say, if you know what you are doing. Which apparently, I don't. Pre-FroYo, all I had to do was delete the OTAUpdater.apk, but on FroYo I haven't figured out how.

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
In another topic/post ChrisTim said:
/system/etc/security/otcerts.zip used to get renamed to otcerts.bak as a method of blocking updates from being successfully installed
Note first that I looked and the actual name of the file is /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip. That said, I've not tested it, but given the function implied by the name it would stand to reason that if that file were missing then your phone wouldn't trust the OTA provider to give it any files.

Worth a shot.

ndoren

Reaction score
I did some googling on the renaming of otacerts.zip and I got very concerned. There are some who claim that renaming this file won't stop the OTA downloads from happening. Instead, matters get worse, because the validation of the download file fails without the otacerts.zip file, and the system goes into a download loop trying to get the file and failing to validate it repeatedly. I don't know if it's true, but it kind of makes sense.

I'm still stumped as to what mechanism Froyo uses to notify users of an OTA update. The old OTAUpdate.apk is not there as it was in Android 2.1, so obviously can't be deleted. Once I got my own OTA notification, I did a "ps" (yes I am rooted) and didn't see any obvious entry that would indicate which process was generating that notification.

Obviously the guys writing the custom ROMs know what to delete, because those ROMs have OTA updates disabled.

djspy

Reaction score
I have a quick question, is there a way to just install a new kernel so the phone be faster? Just the kernel. I'm not interested in blocking OTA updates anything like that.

OP
add119

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
To many look at my signature.
lucky you at fiver 643. But i dont want to pay $20 to root if i can pay a few $5 for an apps for that. Plus i can find paying apps for free. So why should i pay a person, i dont know to root my phone?

For all i know he can mess up my phone by accident and then im be out of $520-560 dollars phone that was new. When i decide to purchase it.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
lucky you at fiver 643. But i dont want to pay $20 to root if i can pay a few $5 for an apps for that. Plus i can find paying apps for free. So why should i pay a person, i dont know to root my phone?

For all i know he can mess up my phone by accident and then im be out of $520-560 dollars phone that was new. When i decide to purchase it.

Why pay $5 for an app, or waste time looking for that app for free, when you can use a program on your computer for free?

OP
add119

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OP
add119

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Tanknspank i dont know ! I did sbf file and crap i try flashing the driver, but i always end up finding messed up files that doesnt work. Usb driver 32 bit never wants to unzip .

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
yes djspy i had my droid running 1.3 ghz before the stupid update ruined my speed of my phone back to 600mhz.

You need to root and if i was anyone here stay with stock 2.2 os FRF01B that allow u to have soft root which is easy root.

New Froyo Kernel - up to 1.4ghz and other speeds - TopQuark (based off of P3) - Android Forums

This website has 1.28 ghz,1.3ghz and 1.4ghz

Well if you use the real way to root you would have never had to worried about that "stupid update" :)

OP
add119

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Well if you guys have step by step in here i might just do rooting the old fashion way. Just like i try to avoid in the g1 days.