What Feature(s) Caused You To Get a Smartwatch?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
For me it was the fitness stuff that would tie into S Health on the phone when I purchased my Fit and I was looking for a standalone music player to complement the fitness stuff of the Fit on the Neo but they were out of stock and sold me the S for the same price before discounts.
What about you? What took you from a bystander to an owner?

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The deal I got on mine clinched it, but I've always liked to try & be an early adopter of tech that actually excites me. Initial prices kept me away, but I was very interested in just the overall integration and functionality.

I liked the idea of not having to get my phone out of my pocket to interact with or even just check notifications & the idea of doing a quick Google search the same way enticed me.

As I've stated in other threads, I've actually worn a watch at work for almost 5 years now out of necessity, so unlike others, not wearing one wasn't really a deciding factor. Though I keep it on when I get home from work, unlike my other watch(es).

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
If I buy one it will be one with a stand alone SIM card feature. I would love to be able to tether one to my Bluetooth Gear headphones and leave my phone at home while out and about. I am not fussed over having to look at my phone when a notification comes in. A watch will have to bring more to the table than a wrist worn notifier for me to start wearing a watch.

Reactions: cr6

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
You can save music to android wear devices through play music & it's got an option to scan for Bluetooth devices. I'll have to do some playing with functionality when not connected to the phone.

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If I buy one it will be one with a stand alone SIM card feature. I would love to be able to tether one to my Bluetooth Gear headphones and leave my phone at home while out and about. I am not fussed over having to look at my phone when a notification comes in. A watch will have to bring more to the table than a wrist worn notifier for me to start wearing a watch.
You've got some Gear Circles?
I've paired a few earpieces and headsets to my Gear S as standalone and have the phone set to forward calls to the watch if I don't answer the phone and it's not tethered to the watch. The music player on the S isn't as good as Power Amp for phones but it'll suffice.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
You've got some Gear Circles?
I've paired a few earpieces and headsets to my Gear S as standalone and have the phone set to forward calls to the watch if I don't answer the phone and it's not tethered to the watch. The music player on the S isn't as good as Power Amp for phones but it'll suffice.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Yes, I have the Gear Circle. I've been enjoying them quite a bit. They have a long lasting battery and combined with the Samsung Gear app's equalizer they sound great. They are what I would use if I got a stand alone watch.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I've owned a MotoACTV for several years. Awesome device. It was very much ahead of its time in terms of functionality. The on-board GPS is great, as is the ability to store music and play it back during workouts. It's really nice to have all of your workout data automatically uploaded via WiFi once you're back in range, and the software is nothing short of fantastic. I've never used it regularly as a smartwatch. It's always been more of a fitness device for me that I only wore when working out.

I'm looking to make the move to an Android Wear device this year. I'm eyeing the Sony Smartwatch 3 at this point since it comes the closest to duplicating my favorite features of the MotoACTV. On-board GPS and built-in WiFi (even if it's not used yet due to lack of support in Android Wear) are a must, and I can see NFC on a watch being great to have (once Android Wear supports it). I also like the transreflective display that the Smartwatch 3 has (something else the MotoACTV has), which makes the screen great for outdoor readability without having to jack up the brightness of the screen.

The feature I'm looking forward to having most on an Android Wear device is notifications at a glance. The MotoACTV supports some notifications, but not many. I'm often in meetings and situations for work where pulling out a phone isn't a good thing to do, but looking at your watch is fine. Being able to quickly check notifications will be a really nice feature.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I like notifications at glance.... Quick replies, and just having new tech.
Agreed. Pretty much the same simple reasons I bought one. I always wear a watch anyhow, so owning one of these kind of made sense. Oh.....the sale price helped also.

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have the Gear Circle. I've been enjoying them quite a bit. They have a long lasting battery and combined with the Samsung Gear app's equalizer they sound great. They are what I would use if I got a stand alone watch.
As a standalone you lose the "Gear" part, including the equalizer.
When I get home from work (I'm at lunch) I'll connect mine up and see exactly how much functionality is lost when using as a standalone. Off the top of my head it's just the eq, I only tethered them when new just to see if it'd work. I mostly use them when connected to the phone but use the watch to change tracks and such.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've owned a MotoACTV for several years. Awesome device. It was very much ahead of its time in terms of functionality. The on-board GPS is great, as is the ability to store music and play it back during workouts. It's really nice to have all of your workout data automatically uploaded via WiFi once you're back in range, and the software is nothing short of fantastic. I've never used it regularly as a smartwatch. It's always been more of a fitness device for me that I only wore when working out.

I'm looking to make the move to an Android Wear device this year. I'm eyeing the Sony Smartwatch 3 at this point since it comes the closest to duplicating my favorite features of the MotoACTV. On-board GPS and built-in WiFi (even if it's not used yet due to lack of support in Android Wear) are a must, and I can see NFC on a watch being great to have (once Android Wear supports it). I also like the transreflective display that the Smartwatch 3 has (something else the MotoACTV has), which makes the screen great for outdoor readability without having to jack up the brightness of the screen.

The feature I'm looking forward to having most on an Android Wear device is notifications at a glance. The MotoACTV supports some notifications, but not many. I'm often in meetings and situations for work where pulling out a phone isn't a good thing to do, but looking at your watch is fine. Being able to quickly check notifications will be a really nice feature.
Afaik, you can set what notifications you want on AW and Tizen based watches and I know at least on my Tizen ones I can have the screen wake when I get one or have it stay dark. I'm thinking AW based have the same ability, others could answer that for sure though.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Afaik, you can set what notifications you want on AW and Tizen based watches and I know at least on my Tizen ones I can have the screen wake when I get one or have it stay dark. I'm thinking AW based have the same ability, others could answer that for sure though.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
You can select the apps that notify on android wear, but screen always comes on unless you've got it in theater mode or mute.

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can select the apps that notify on android wear, but screen always comes on unless you've got it in theater mode or mute.

I thought it was the same ability just a different way to set it up. I have actually been paying attention for once.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes I confirmed the only thing you lose when in standalone is the equalizer. Everything else Gear related didn't affect music playback. They're not as loud as when connected to the phone but Power Amp has a gain control that I usually keep up pretty high that I believe is the only difference.
I would say you could use them as a standalone with any watch that has a built in music player, no matter the os because away from the Gear App they're just like any other Bluetooth headphones in how and what they'll connect to. I paired mine with my G2 just to experiment.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Something other than screen shots for your amusement
uploadfromtaptalk1424645049793.png