What exactly is a force close?

heath223

Reaction score
I got one today for Helix and hit ok but it seems like nothing happened. I thaught the phone would freeze up or shutdown or something? I have been using it for an hour since and done Navigation, Music, Pandora radio etc...

Reaction score
It just forces the application that froze up to close. Similar to ctrl+alt+del for your PC to use the task manager to close a frozen program. You should be able to force close and immediately reopen it.

stanrc

Reaction score
A force close is when an application/process/service stops responding. You usually get 2 choices, Force close or wait. Wait obviously tells the phone to wait and see if the program will return to normal operation. Force close will tell the program to close so that the phone doesn't stay hung up. If it seems like nothing happened when you chose force close then it probably closed and restarted itself so you didn't notice.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
When entering through a non-automated door way, ( i.e. one that does not include any kind of hydraulic returning mechanism, or one where the electronic receding mechanism is damaged) the user is expected to re-seal the doorway by maniuplating it in the opposite fashion that it was originally opened. This is known as a manual close or force close.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just a word of advice. For problems with home screen launchers, it's usually as effective to "wait" as to hit "force close." The problem is usually that the launcher is not getting the cpu cycles it needs and will work fine once it does. That usually takes only a couple of seconds after you get the message. But if it doesn't, hit "force close" the next time and the launcher software will be reloaded.