What exactly does this mean? (unlocked)

nyjets0508

Reaction score
This phone has a clean ESN for Verizon and GSM Unlocked. This phone will work on any GSM network Worldwide including T Mobile and AT&T or any Prepaid GSM.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
clean ESN means Verizon will activate the phone because it's not marked at stolen or anything else that would make the ESN bad.
GSM unlocked means it can be used on different GSM networks as long as you have the SIM.

xtor

Reaction score
clean ESN means Verizon will activate the phone because it's not marked at stolen or anything else that would make the ESN bad.
GSM unlocked means it can be used on different GSM networks as long as you have the SIM.

Bad meaning , someone didn't fulfill their contact, or pay the bill

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7

That's incorrect. Clean ESN means its good to be activated and carrier unlocked means exactly what dezy said.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

xtor

Reaction score
That's incorrect. Clean ESN means its good to be activated and carrier unlocked means exactly what dezy said.

My friend bought a phone from a coworker and went to have it turned on and couldn't because the coworker didn't pay their bill and service was stopped on a 2 year contract, what's that called?, i thought it was a bad esn, i guess i was wrong

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
My friend bought a phone from a coworker and went to have it turned on and couldn't because the coworker didn't pay their bill and service was stopped on a 2 year contract, what's that called?, i thought it was a bad esn, i guess i was wrong

That would be a bad ESN but the original poster asked what a clean ESN meant.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
As GCG said, I gave OP the meaning of what a clean ESN is. I just gave an example and "anything else" to let OP know what a bad ESN is for future reference. You are correct as well with your examples.:)

dasanman69

Reaction score
This phone has a clean ESN for Verizon and GSM Unlocked. This phone will work on any GSM network Worldwide including T Mobile and AT&T or any Prepaid GSM.

It means that you can use the phone on VZW, T mobile, or ATT. The ESN is the identification number given to the phone so it can be activated on a CDMA network which VZW uses. A clean ESN means that the phone was never reported lost, stolen nor attached to an outstanding account if pre owned.

dasanman69

Reaction score

Anything that prevents the phone from being activated will make the ESN "bad"