what exactly does a rom do?

nwwolf1

Reaction score
Is a rom the same thing as rooting your phone? Is it dangeroous to do to your phone? I found bugless beast (?) On the market what exactly does roms and all this stuff do? Ha

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
rom is basically running a new OS.

you have the stock rom/kernel, and what the others do is flash a new rom/kernel. you need to be rooted to do this and having a new rom is basically the point of rooting.

that's basically it in a nutshell....i think, pretty new to it myself actually.

OP
N

nwwolf1

Reaction score
Are you rooted? I'm not sure if i want to. I don't know much aboutsoftware for phones so I'm afraid I could damage it.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Is a rom the same thing as rooting your phone? Is it dangeroous to do to your phone? I found bugless beast (?) On the market what exactly does roms and all this stuff do? Ha

what dezy said but do NOT attempt any of the rooting/ROMs unless you know what you are doing!

cause when you get stuck, youre really gonna be stuck for a while until someone on here can figure out what u did wrong :)

really, its ok to do but just have a grasp on what you are actually doing

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
yes i'm rooted and running CyanogenMod.

greatest decision i've made with this phone and i was running stock til about 2 weeks ago.

OP
N

nwwolf1

Reaction score
That's the exact reason I'm not doing it. I don't know enough about it ha

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

read the 1st link in my signature to understand steps and the anything else to see all things regarding root

its not difficult and if you have the original Droid (i presume) so its really hard to break anything. just less hassle for you in the long run if you know what youre doing

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

if you're still uncomfortable about it, don't do it.

however i did find an app called ROM Manager after i rooted. it made flashing much easier, it basically does it for you.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

i'm a real techno-tard, but i did it. and, i couldn't be happier about it!! running these custom roms is so suhweeet!!

but like everyone says, it's risky. i spent many hours reading threads and watching youtube videos. in the end i decided to go for it. here's what i used, primarily, to do it:

How to: Root Android 2.1 and Install Android 2.2 on Motorola DROID | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html

then, after you're rooted (if you do it), ROM Mgr makes the process of installing new roms and themes MUCH easier.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
yes, there are a bunch of rooting videos on youtube and they are very helpful.

sometimes we need the visual aid to make things easier.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
yes, there are a bunch of rooting videos on youtube and they are very helpful.

sometimes we need the visual aid to make things easier.

are you calling me "slow"?! :wacko::laugh:

not at all, lol sorry if that's what you thought i meant.

i'm a very "techy" guy. i build computers and all that but even rooting my phone i was a bit hesitant from just text. I went to youtube and found a buncha tutorials and then felt comfortable following them step-by-step.

Throughout my process of flashing my 3rd rom in 2 days i learned about ROM Manager and grabbed that. Makes flashing a breeze since it backs up automatically as well, and then flashes for you. Now i'm running CyanogenMod with no problems and this is definitely my favorite ROM, by far.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i'm just yanking your chain! i fully recognize i'm a techno-tard, but even i was able to do it.

decided to go with JRum's Kang 5.0.9. ran it for all of 4 days before he dropped LithMod - dang it, had to try it!!! and, it wasn't on ROM Mgr, so i had to do it all over again - much more confident the second time. i really want to try some other roms, but i just want to run something for at least a week before i have to go thru the hassle of wiping everything. i'm leaning toward UD's new one - but you like Cyanogen??

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
i'm just yanking your chain! i fully recognize i'm a techno-tard, but even i was able to do it.

decided to go with JRum's Kang 5.0.9. ran it for all of 4 days before he dropped LithMod - dang it, had to try it!!! and, it wasn't on ROM Mgr, so i had to do it all over again - much more confident the second time. i really want to try some other roms, but i just want to run something for at least a week before i have to go thru the hassle of wiping everything. i'm leaning toward UD's new one - but you like Cyanogen??

lovin Cyanogen.

all the other ROMs I've ran had a couple of problems; laggy, restarted on its own, battery gets too hot at only 800mhz, etc.

Cyanogen has been nothing but smooth sailing for me. I leave it at 800mhz and after 10 minutes of browsing it doesn't get too hot, would get very hot when i used SimplyStunning (nothing against SimplyStunning). Also battery life on this ROM is much improved compared to the other few i ran, so i'm sticking with this one. Try it out, if you don't like it you can always switch back within minutes anyway right?

For me, after about 5-7 ROMs finally got one that is to my liking. Won't be switching for a long time now.