What droid doesn't do.

OP
mikeofmikes83

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Follow this guide: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html and by the way, you don't have to roll back to a previous version.

Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction! A few questions for you though, if you don't mind. On that thread it doesn't say that I should have SPRecovery flashed, but on the link to where the post was compiled from it says I do. Is it necessary? What does it do? From what I can gather it allows me to change roms in the future if I want to.

I'm thinking of just rooting the stock rom instead of using a custom rom. What are the bonuses to rooting with a different rom? What is the best rom for moto droid? I'm a speed junkie, so I'm definitely going to overclock once I get root. Whats a stable speed? I definitely don't want to brick my phone by burning the chipset out of it. I'm only interested in root for two reasons, wifi tethering and overclocking...are their any other bonuses? Maybe you could point me in the direction of a good overclocking FAQ/guide? A wifi tethering guide would be nice too...I would love to turn my phone into a wifi hotspot, is that possible without having a client running on the comp that I want to connect to the internet through my phone with?

Again, thank you so very very very much, you've all been either really really helpful, or really really funny (burn some jeans, too funny lol)

Thanks again

dmt316

Reaction score
Follow this guide: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html and by the way, you don't have to roll back to a previous version.

Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction! A few questions for you though, if you don't mind. On that thread it doesn't say that I should have SPRecovery flashed, but on the link to where the post was compiled from it says I do. Is it necessary? What does it do? From what I can gather it allows me to change roms in the future if I want to.

I'm thinking of just rooting the stock rom instead of using a custom rom. What are the bonuses to rooting with a different rom? What is the best rom for moto droid? I'm a speed junkie, so I'm definitely going to overclock once I get root. Whats a stable speed? I definitely don't want to brick my phone by burning the chipset out of it. I'm only interested in root for two reasons, wifi tethering and overclocking...are their any other bonuses? Maybe you could point me in the direction of a good overclocking FAQ/guide? A wifi tethering guide would be nice too...I would love to turn my phone into a wifi hotspot, is that possible without having a client running on the comp that I want to connect to the internet through my phone with?

Again, thank you so very very very much, you've all been either really really helpful, or really really funny (burn some jeans, too funny lol)

Thanks again

i personally think DroidMod - Everything Droid doesn't, DroidMod does. was the easiest way to root, you do it right from your phone, and yes you would need sprecovery or clockwork. once you root, you can install clockwork and then have the option to use both recoveries

OP
mikeofmikes83

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Ok, so I rooted my phone. :) yay! But there is an issue. I rooted into stock 2.1, then downloaded ROM manager. I decided to go with smoked glass v6.0.1 @800mhz. Everything went great, installed, booted up, everything....now all of a sudden I don't have root!!! WTH happened? Lol. I'm guessing its something extra simple that I didn't do or need to do....

OP
mikeofmikes83

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Something else I wish the droid did....play flash on the web :( boo..
Update though, I've rooted and now enjoy all the root goodness. Thanks to everyone on this forum that lent a hand. I love this phone, we are inseperable...if I have my pants on, I have my phone...and even when my pants are off (for business time lol) its still not far.

cplus

Reaction score
hey patna!

Ok, so I rooted my phone. :) yay! But there is an issue. I rooted into stock 2.1, then downloaded ROM manager. I decided to go with smoked glass v6.0.1 @800mhz. Everything went great, installed, booted up, everything....now all of a sudden I don't have root!!! WTH happened? Lol. I'm guessing its something extra simple that I didn't do or need to do....

If you are a speed freak get Pete's Buggless Beast v 1.0. You still have to wipe your own butt though. .. and probably data and cache too..

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I love a story that ends on a happy note :icon_ banana:

I'm from the same mindset that when I got my Droid in November and everyone was saying to root, I was also "omg I'll brick my phone"....I've since learned that no matter what bonehead thing I've done to my Droid since December, it's virtually impossible to brick the phone.

Glad you're enjoying it!

MelbFL_User

Reaction score
What is meant by "rooted"? I just got my Droid in March - having a great time learning all it can do. Might take it to Church and use the Bible app tonight - but then I'm not sure if I'm ready for that.

Also, I have attempted to watch some videos and a dialog box comes up and says Droid 2.0 will have Adobe Flash 10.1 or some thing in 2010. Well, I've got 2.1 and haven't seen anything about Flash yet...any news on that?

Thanks

OP
mikeofmikes83

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
From what I understand 2.2 will have flash loaded, as well as a few other interesting things like maybe FM receiver/transmitter. However, since no one has stepped out and forth right said any of these things it could just be rumor...IMO flash is definitely on the plate, and the 2.2 update is supposed to happen in the first half of 2010.