1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

What droid doesn't do.

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by mikeofmikes83, Apr 23, 2010.

1. mikeofmikes83

mikeofmikes83 New Member

Droid does right?
    I've owned my moto droid for about a month now, and I'm totally in love with it. It really is the most powerful smart phone on the market :)

...but...and there is a 'but'...there are a few things that I've found that I would really like to see. First off, my primary and only real gripe...

FM receiver/transmitter... Not a big issue as far as listening to the radio (all though that would be nice) but I would love for my phone to be able to transmit my music when I'm in the car. Like, for instance, when its in a car dock. That would be the sweetness! I've done some research online and found out that it does have an FM receiver/transmitter in the chipset. I wonder when someone will tap into it? As a side note (and I'm not sure if this is even in the same realm or not) but wouldn't you be able to use the phone as a keyless entry/auto start for your car if the chip was inabled? I saw where the iphone can do it, which to my knowledge, is the one thing the iphone can do that the droid can't.

Minor issue, and I'm sure theres a fix coming down the pike (if others are even experiencing this issue) the new photo gallery keeps lagging out on load, forceclosing, etc, etc.

It still needs a way to clear the market search history.

And a free cache cleaner that doesn't need root would be nice too...

I would love to root my phone, I really would....I'm just terrified of bricking it. Few questions (not even sure if I should ask here, but oh well, hope no one gets upset) I'm running 2.1; where can I find a near sure fire guide to rooting my phone. I know I would have to roll it back a version, then update it with root privs...again, just afraid I'll stumble on the wrong tutorial. Also, do you have to reinstall all your apps if you root?
  2. titans

titans Premium Member Premium Member

If you wanted a phone with an FM tuner, why didn't you check the tech specs before you bought it?
  3. mikeofmikes83

mikeofmikes83 New Member

I did check em. :) its only a minor gripe. It would be nice if it did it though, right? If just to be able to transmit radio wihout extra hardware. Considering that the hardware is all ready under the hood, its probably only a matter of time before someone figures out how to utilize it. Maybe next update? o_O until then I'm in the market for a blue tooth fm transmitter.
  4. R1Lover

R1Lover New Member

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  5. tiggerxplur

tiggerxplur New Member

i would love to listen to the radio dont mind to much about transmitting i dont have a car

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  6. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

7. JessiesGirl

JessiesGirl New Member

The Droid Incredible supposedly has a radio receiver. Maybe you'll want to check out upgrading to the Incredible.

And I can see why you'd want it to function as a radio. Once you realize everything the Droid can do, you start to wonder why you'd need any other device for tech on the move. I get it.
  8. mikeofmikes83

mikeofmikes83 New Member

Exactley! :D its such an amazing device, and that's literally the only thing I think it doesn't do. (You could wipe your ass with it I you wanted lol) like I said though, the hardware is on board, and from what I understand its a receiver and a transmitter...but alas, I'm not sure whether that's true or not. I also read that ppl at alldroid are working on tapping into it. :) so maybe in due time we can ditch another accessory.
    The incredible looks amazing, and I am thinking of upgrading, and givin my gf my droid. The processor its got on board is beastly, the 8gb onboard memory is sweet, and the camera is 3mp stronger. I won't miss the hard keyboard at all, cause I never use it...but my gf (coming from a black berry) absolutely needs the hard keyboard. So it'll work out.
    Oh amd thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction as far as rooting goes, I'm feeling brave so I might give it a try tonight. I know I could use the boost in speed, and tethering would be sweet as hell. Thank you eeyone for your input, have a great day. :D
    (Responded on my droid...I love this phone):heart:
  9. Travis798

Travis798 New Member

Wait, It doesn't?? I thought that smell was my imagination. I just assumed the droid was taking care of that.

Looks like it's time to hit the shower and burn some jeans.
  10. justreboot

justreboot New Member

Bluetooth Voice dialing (argggggggg)... <ex. call office...>
  11. mikeofmikes83

mikeofmikes83 New Member

Hahaha
    Droid ass wiping app ftw
  12. DessoThumbs

DessoThumbs Member

I tried doing the laundry the other day but my wife said honey you need to separate your jeans from your underwear. I said sh*t, I'd need a stick to do that!

sorry... back on topic...
  13. dmt316

dmt316 New Member

rooting is so easy and a very slim chance of bricking, you will be happy once you do
  14. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

I heard fm receiver will be in the 2.2 update.
  15. mikeofmikes83

mikeofmikes83 New Member

That would be sweet if the receiver was in the update, but still though, I would rather listen to pandora.... If it can receive, then I certainly hope it can transmit. Internet radio where ever I go would be epic. Just plain epic.
  16. mikeofmikes83

mikeofmikes83 New Member

Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction! A few questions for you though, if you don't mind. On that thread it doesn't say that I should have SPRecovery flashed, but on the link to where the post was compiled from it says I do. Is it necessary? What does it do? From what I can gather it allows me to change roms in the future if I want to.

I'm thinking of just rooting the stock rom instead of using a custom rom. What are the bonuses to rooting with a different rom? What is the best rom for moto droid? I'm a speed junkie, so I'm definitely going to overclock once I get root. Whats a stable speed? I definitely don't want to brick my phone by burning the chipset out of it. I'm only interested in root for two reasons, wifi tethering and overclocking...are their any other bonuses? Maybe you could point me in the direction of a good overclocking FAQ/guide? A wifi tethering guide would be nice too...I would love to turn my phone into a wifi hotspot, is that possible without having a client running on the comp that I want to connect to the internet through my phone with?

Again, thank you so very very very much, you've all been either really really helpful, or really really funny (burn some jeans, too funny lol)

Thanks again
  17. dmt316

dmt316 New Member

i personally think DroidMod - Everything Droid doesn't, DroidMod does. was the easiest way to root, you do it right from your phone, and yes you would need sprecovery or clockwork. once you root, you can install clockwork and then have the option to use both recoveries
  18. mikeofmikes83

mikeofmikes83 New Member

Ok, so I rooted my phone. :) yay! But there is an issue. I rooted into stock 2.1, then downloaded ROM manager. I decided to go with smoked glass v6.0.1 @800mhz. Everything went great, installed, booted up, everything....now all of a sudden I don't have root!!! WTH happened? Lol. I'm guessing its something extra simple that I didn't do or need to do....
  19. mikeofmikes83

mikeofmikes83 New Member

Something else I wish the droid did....play flash on the web :( boo..
    Update though, I've rooted and now enjoy all the root goodness. Thanks to everyone on this forum that lent a hand. I love this phone, we are inseperable...if I have my pants on, I have my phone...and even when my pants are off (for business time lol) its still not far.
  20. biggs

biggs New Member

skyfire beta app in market flash