What does rooting your phone do?

kmcgee62

Reaction score
What does rooting your phone do

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
The best way to explain it is say you have a house with an indoor pool, retractable roof, heated floors, central air, track lighting and everything else a house of this caliber may contain - but all of the controls are in the basement and the basement door is locked...rooting unlocks that door -

Last edited:

Brennan_Huber

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
It gives you super user permission. Which means you are aloud to do just about anything on your phone. I'm sure if you search it you will find a extremely detailed explanation of it.

Sent from my DROIDX

Brennan_Huber

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I am +1 with the one above my first post. Its a very good way to explain it.

Sent from my DROIDX

dirtyfingers

Reaction score
+1, good explanation. Before you have root access its basically like logging on to a computer as a "guest". You can still log in and use all your programs or apps, but are restricted from adjusting many settings or accessing certain things. Once rooted you would be logged on as the "administrator" and have full access to all system files.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

cnmsales

Reaction score
Somethings specifically are you can do wifi teather without paying the monthly service charge. You can universal all the bloat ware that comes on the phone. And then if you install a custom ROM such as ultimate droid you get a lot of user settings to customize the phone like u want it. You also get to overclock your phone to make it faster then it comes to you. Or underclock it to save battery. You also get access to new versions of droid not yet available to the public.

Reaction score
Is there any reason why I shouldn't Root, considering I am a computer nerd (work in IT), and can get a new one if I "brick" the phone?

Don't ask me why, but Rooting my phone makes me nervous, I usually follow the rules on my phone, lol

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Rooting the TB and removing the bloatware gave me another 5 hours of battery life.

tdawg2008

Reaction score
Is there any reason why I shouldn't Root, considering I am a computer nerd (work in IT), and can get a new one if I "brick" the phone?

Don't ask me why, but Rooting my phone makes me nervous, I usually follow the rules on my phone, lol

You can always unroot it but if it's a company phone then I wouldn't touch it.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

cnmsales

Reaction score
First off I agree, if its a compnay phone I wouldnt recomend touching it.

If its your personal phone, then go for it. No reason really why you shouldnt root it. The only issue is bricking it. For the record I havent read a single report of anyone bricking there TB to date.

Its really hard to brick these things. Now keep in mind its still a very real possibility but unlikely.

If your a tad nervous just sit tight for a few weeks. Someone will come out with a one click process for doing it.

Reaction score
First off I agree, if its a compnay phone I wouldnt recomend touching it.

If its your personal phone, then go for it. No reason really why you shouldnt root it. The only issue is bricking it. For the record I havent read a single report of anyone bricking there TB to date.

Its really hard to brick these things. Now keep in mind its still a very real possibility but unlikely.

If your a tad nervous just sit tight for a few weeks. Someone will come out with a one click process for doing it.

I'm in IT and have done programming and DOS command prompts, etc. many times, so I am not really nervous about bricking (as stated, i can always get a new phone). I guess I am just not so sure that I can deal with the post-Root support, especially if I put a new ROM on there.

There is a thread on XDA that the guy is REALLY close to a one-click Root, but i may just go with the manual Root.

cnmsales

Reaction score
What do you mean post-root support?

You do realize if your phone is BRICKED its not covered under warranty with the custom bootloader on it.

So unless your able to drop 600 plus for the replacement then "always get a new phone" might not be so easy.

Anyway, rooting is fine, not sure what you mean by post-root support. Could you clarify?

Reaction score
What do you mean post-root support?

You do realize if your phone is BRICKED its not covered under warranty with the custom bootloader on it.

So unless your able to drop 600 plus for the replacement then "always get a new phone" might not be so easy.

Anyway, rooting is fine, not sure what you mean by post-root support. Could you clarify?

I do realize the warranty void, but that is not what I am referring to. Basically, if I have a problem with my phone and it isn't rooted, I can call HTC or VZW and get support.

If I Root and load a custom ROM but have issues with either, I am concerned that the developers won't provide as good support to me. (It's a comfort zone thing... not sure if I can trust some person to care about little ole me with my stupid issues.)

Again, I don't have a care in the world if I brick the phone.

cnmsales

Reaction score
If you Root and and load a custom rom you will get far better support for any issues that arise. Go look in the ROM forum here. You can see for yourself the type of support you will get.