1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

What does "rooting" your Droid mean?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by paulaSG, Aug 26, 2010.

1. paulaSG

paulaSG New Member

I have seen references to rooted phones, rooting your Droid(2), but I have to admit I do not know what a rooted phone does differently from one that is not. Why would a regular user (not techie) want a rooted phone, etc? Please someone tell me. My main purpose of the Droid 2 is phone calls, then calendar, then internet capability, then a few games.

Thanks in advance. I just got my Droid 2 last week and am slowly learning it, and love it so far!
  2. SixStringTheory

SixStringTheory New Member

3. ragenrok

ragenrok New Member

rooting your phone gives you access to your phones system files and the ability to change them. For me I did this on my milestone to change the google navigation tracker so instead of going through my providers system it went right to google. Cut the time it takes my gps to lock on from 15 second to about 2 seconds.

It also lets you un-install and delete software/other crap that comes pre-installed on your phone that you dont want, and allows you to use certain programs.
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  4. paulaSG

paulaSG New Member

Thanks Ragenrock

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate the time to explain...unlike the previous poster who said..."stop asking", or was that just being sarcastic on their part?

I geniunely am trying to learn all the ins and outs of the new Droid 2. :)
  5. paulaSG

paulaSG New Member

sorry SixString...

Thanks for sending the link....thought YOU were the one saying "stop asking"...lol
  6. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose Super Moderator Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    That was the title of a thread, not a remark directed to you. I also have a link in my signature that gives you explanations of a lot of terms you will see here on the forums.

However, I see that you have a Droid 2, I am not sure that the 2 is rooted yet. So its good that you are reading but please do not attempt to root your phone using the link in my signature as it is for the Droid 1. We have a really good Droid 2 section here on the forums that can answer a lot of your questions including rooting the Droid 2.
  7. Abe21599

Abe21599 Super Moderator

the Droid 2 has been rooted (as of yesterday). but like dlwhtrose said, dont use any of those methods to root - check out the Droid 2 hacks section for that.

also, my link 3 will explain everything that comes with rooting. again, this is for the Droid 1 so it might not all apply to the D2 yet. but its a well written guide that will explain it to you.
  8. SixStringTheory

SixStringTheory New Member

I may sometimes agree with the sentiment of the OP's title but I'm not that mean ;-p

just be glad I didn't give you a Let me google that for you
  9. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

10. Pandemic187

Pandemic187 New Member

11. paulaSG

paulaSG New Member

thanks for all replies

I appreciate the replies...and yes, I would certainly study and wait before I try anything like that. I am so new at these smart phones. I may not even need to do that, given I am more basic than that probably.

SixString...glad to know you are helpful!

The reason I posted first was I wasn't sure if it was something I was supposed to do right away or not. Now I know, it isn't a 'have to'. :)
  12. Dan_08

Dan_08 New Member

Oh it's a "have to"! J/k enjoy your stock D2 for a while, continue to visit the site and read/learn. Then when you're ready, take the plunge into rooting. Having a rooted phone with all the bells and whistles is like night and day. I waited about 4-5 months to root, I 'm glad I did becuase I felt like I got a brand new phone.
  13. bobby_v

bobby_v New Member

I think I'm definitely going to give it a try tomorrow evening when I've got some spare time.
  14. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Read the links and take your time. If you have questions or problems the community will be here to assist.

Mike
Search tags for this page
root droidx 2.3.4 what does that mean
rooting a driod means
what does being rooted mean with a droid bionic
what does root mean for your droid

what does root your droid mean

what does rooted droid mean

what does rooted mean on droid

what does rooting a droid mean

what does rooting mean
what does rooting your droid bionic do