What does overclocking accomplish?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by xythil, Mar 15, 2010.

1. xythil

xythil New Member

Which processes are noticeably faster? Is internet browsing a bit smoothed out and less jerky?
  2. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

You're kidding right?
  3. joshnichols189

joshnichols189 New Member

Did you forget we're not all experts like you bud?
  4. Serialkilla

Serialkilla New Member

Depending on your settings, yes - it can speed up browsing a bit. Also,again depending on your settings, can save battery life. I drop it down to like 400mhz when charging and 250 when timed out. Makes a HUGE difference in battery life.
  5. Moondonkey

Moondonkey New Member

I think its a valid question and I am interested to hear some of your responses.

I am rooted and Overclocked(chevy 1.0), I have run DroidMod, BB.08 and now on Cyanogen.

After modding and Overclocking my phone, I was eager to see how much faster my phone was compared to my wife's stock phone. I got the phone and sat down and opened and ran all kinds of applications. I know this is not a scientific test by any means, but it is a practical test. After about half an hour of doing this, I noticed very little, if any in some instances, performance increase between the stock and modded phone.

I know mine phone is faster since I ran benchmark tests and mine was about 2x as fast as my wifes, but where do you see the actual performance increase? How many of you that say their phone is sooo much faster have actually used it side by side to compare it to a stock phone?
  6. mikes

mikes New Member

It makes your p*n*s bigger.
  7. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

All of them? Some more than others though. Not all applications are processor intensive, meaning if they were smooth prior to OC then after OC they will still be smooth. Also different setups (ROMs), different kernels, and various other things can change how well things work. Not just overclocking.

Overall though yes. Personally I don't see the point of going up into the 1ghz+ range, after a while I stopped seeing improvements on things. Everyone's phone is different, everyone's experience and expectations are different. There is definitely performance gain, and if you set it up right you can gain battery life too.
  8. jasonb

jasonb New Member

biggest difference is in web browsing speed and scrolling on menu's and home screens.
  9. droid d'oh

droid d'oh New Member

Overclocking will definately improve overall performance and also kill your battery life at certain settings. For your particular issues, they have to do with the code not being quite optimized for the droid yet.

To fix this, I would recommend using a ESE53 build of 2.1 which fixes browser and launcher lag. Bugless Beast and Ultimate droid have done a great job reducing these issues with stock clock settings.
  10. LtKen

LtKen New Member

Didnt you have 2 other threads that were just like this one? You were already explained to what OCing does, and how and why your Droid will never be exactly like your iPhone/iTouch.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  11. carbonnoid

carbonnoid New Member

Makes my pokemon game run faster. Thats all I really care about, oh and my fireworks are smooth. Im being serious.
  12. xythil

xythil New Member

I never asked about cverclocking in general. Currently I am running DroidMod. I am about to go to ultimate7
  13. SoDroid

SoDroid Member

I see a BIG difference when I'm in transitions rooted with droidmod at 800mhz. Several times I was 'showing my Droid off' it ran embarrassingly slower than I had hoped it would. I ended up rooting it a couple months ago and I love it. I'm not planning on downloading the OTA, I like it so much.

Now when running static wallpapers, my phone is super fast! Its really snappy, I wouldn't have said it was snappy pre-rooting and OCing. When I run live wallpapers, its still faster than it was at stock, just lags a little when going back to my homescreen or when the screen changes orientation.

I definitely recommend it.
  14. ieatscones

ieatscones New Member

basically, it makes your phone (it's CPU) faster... ALOT faster
  15. demon69120

demon69120 New Member

Uhh, buddy, doubling the hertz of power you give to your processor speeds up everything. Scrolling and zooming goes from jerky on stock to a smooth glide.

Try to achieve the highest clock you can. 1.1 is the max I can get smooth. Start with Chevy's kernels and SS, BB, or UD latest version. Go from the 1.1 GHz kernal to 1.25 but stay 5 slot. Make sure SetCPU isn't set for startup at boot unless you know it's stable. If you get boot loops, hop down a kernel until you find the fastest stable one.

I can only use 1.1, but let me say, DAMN, it makes the Droid superior to the iPhone in everyway, EVEN scrolling.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  16. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

No, it really doesn't speed up everything.

For instance, your phone calls won't dial faster ;)

Seriously though, for some things its useful, for instance to smooth out some of the sluggishness in parts of the OS due to lack of optimization. However, things like games and so forth will most likely NOT see an improvement.
  17. Vindii

Vindii New Member

Hugh may be a bit steep. Lowering CPU while charging is not going to effect battery life since it is already charging. Lowering it while in sleep will though. I would say it helps a little but not much considering it will use more battery while you are using the phone since it is OC'ed. Probably a wash in the end.
  18. Indiana

Indiana New Member

It also comes down to what you use your Droid for. Web surfing, games, email, texting, calls, maps, widgets, live wallpaper, bluetooth, GPS, listening to music, watching videos or just playing with it. I tried a few of the 2.1 mods available (DroidMod, UD 7.0, Cyanogen) and they are all really nice and plenty fast, but for what I use my Droid for, the battery drain wasn't worth it. I use it for work, so I have Touchdown installed so it updates every 10 minutes, I listen to music, do email, light texting, news and weather genie, global clock, web surfing and a few games. So to me, the OC'ing doesn't do a whole lot. When I'm reading and writing email and listening to music, it's running fast so it's using more battery. Since I have a couple of widgets that update, it runs fast during those too. I also just like to play with it, rearrange things, look at the market, download 3rd party apps and all those things use more battery when OC'd, especially since I have the screen on a lot. Battery life is important to me and I don't want to have to charge it until I go to bed, so for me, OC'ing isn't worth it, even though I do like to smoother scrolling and faster load times of apps. I like to keep my Droid looking simple and clean so I don't use the live wallpaper, again, too much battery drain.
    I just went back to stock yesterday from Droid Mod and I started using that Helixlauncher and man, the scrolling between screens is noticeably faster and less "jerky", so is the app tray scrolling. It all comes down to different strokes for different folks. It's fun to load roms and unload roms and re-set my screens. I love doing that stuff. This Droid is just so much fun. It's the best "toy" I've ever had. Funny thing is, I probably use less than 100 minutes a month for actual phone calls. I hate talking on the phone, but I LOVE my phone, which to me, really isn't a phone.
  19. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

+1

I compiled my own 600mhz kernel from latest .29 kernel source with wireless tethering for that reason alone. Esp. if you tweak enough software on the ROM, it needs less and less of the overclock.
  20. OpalCat

OpalCat New Member

I have DroidMod 1.0 and SetCPU... I'm not sure exactly how to use it. Currently my phone is running a little slow so I'd like to overclock it just a little when I'm using it... you say you change it for charging and timed out--I assume you can set it to do that automagically?

I've searched a bit for overclocking and setcpu both, however the list of threads returned is so vast and most of the threads are on other topics with info about this probably buried on page 493, so I'm asking here--sorry if I'm making people repeat answers :X

Can someone explain:
    A) how to tell how fast my Droid is currently running (is it the number on the left?)
    B) how to overclock it just a little (I assume it's the slider bar but I'd like a little more explanation so I'm not blindly doing something stupid)
    C) how to set it to do what Serialkilla says above

I would be most appreciative! Thanks!

Edited to add: I know my questions probably look a little stupid, and in poking around in SetCPU I have some guesses as to how to do it, but it's just the way my personality is that I like to verify with someone who knows what they're doing before I do stuff like this. I would always rather ask and make sure I do it right.
Search tags for this page
what does over clocking a phone do

what does overclocking a phone do

what does overclocking an android phone do
what does overclocking android do
what does overclocking do

what does overclocking do android

what does overclocking do on android
what does overclocking do to your droid
what does overclocking do to your phone
what does overclocking my phone do