What does overclocking accomplish?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by xythil, Mar 15, 2010.

1. xythil

xythil Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Which processes are noticeably faster? Is internet browsing a bit smoothed out and less jerky?

2. RW-1

RW-1 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    You're kidding right?

3. joshnichols189

joshnichols189 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Did you forget we're not all experts like you bud?

4. Serialkilla

Serialkilla Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Depending on your settings, yes - it can speed up browsing a bit. Also,again depending on your settings, can save battery life. I drop it down to like 400mhz when charging and 250 when timed out. Makes a HUGE difference in battery life.

5. Moondonkey

Moondonkey Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think its a valid question and I am interested to hear some of your responses.

I am rooted and Overclocked(chevy 1.0), I have run DroidMod, BB.08 and now on Cyanogen.

After modding and Overclocking my phone, I was eager to see how much faster my phone was compared to my wife's stock phone. I got the phone and sat down and opened and ran all kinds of applications. I know this is not a scientific test by any means, but it is a practical test. After about half an hour of doing this, I noticed very little, if any in some instances, performance increase between the stock and modded phone.

I know mine phone is faster since I ran benchmark tests and mine was about 2x as fast as my wifes, but where do you see the actual performance increase? How many of you that say their phone is sooo much faster have actually used it side by side to compare it to a stock phone?

6. mikes

mikes Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It makes your p*n*s bigger.

7. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    All of them? Some more than others though. Not all applications are processor intensive, meaning if they were smooth prior to OC then after OC they will still be smooth. Also different setups (ROMs), different kernels, and various other things can change how well things work. Not just overclocking.

Overall though yes. Personally I don't see the point of going up into the 1ghz+ range, after a while I stopped seeing improvements on things. Everyone's phone is different, everyone's experience and expectations are different. There is definitely performance gain, and if you set it up right you can gain battery life too.

8. jasonb

jasonb Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    biggest difference is in web browsing speed and scrolling on menu's and home screens.

9. droid d'oh

droid d'oh Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Overclocking will definately improve overall performance and also kill your battery life at certain settings. For your particular issues, they have to do with the code not being quite optimized for the droid yet.

To fix this, I would recommend using a ESE53 build of 2.1 which fixes browser and launcher lag. Bugless Beast and Ultimate droid have done a great job reducing these issues with stock clock settings.

10. LtKen

LtKen Silver Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Didnt you have 2 other threads that were just like this one? You were already explained to what OCing does, and how and why your Droid will never be exactly like your iPhone/iTouch.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  11. carbonnoid

carbonnoid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Makes my pokemon game run faster. Thats all I really care about, oh and my fireworks are smooth. Im being serious.

12. xythil

xythil Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I never asked about cverclocking in general. Currently I am running DroidMod. I am about to go to ultimate7

13. SoDroid

SoDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I see a BIG difference when I'm in transitions rooted with droidmod at 800mhz. Several times I was 'showing my Droid off' it ran embarrassingly slower than I had hoped it would. I ended up rooting it a couple months ago and I love it. I'm not planning on downloading the OTA, I like it so much.

Now when running static wallpapers, my phone is super fast! Its really snappy, I wouldn't have said it was snappy pre-rooting and OCing. When I run live wallpapers, its still faster than it was at stock, just lags a little when going back to my homescreen or when the screen changes orientation.

I definitely recommend it.

14. ieatscones

ieatscones Member

Ratings:
    +0
    basically, it makes your phone (it's CPU) faster... ALOT faster

15. demon69120

demon69120 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Uhh, buddy, doubling the hertz of power you give to your processor speeds up everything. Scrolling and zooming goes from jerky on stock to a smooth glide.

Try to achieve the highest clock you can. 1.1 is the max I can get smooth. Start with Chevy's kernels and SS, BB, or UD latest version. Go from the 1.1 GHz kernal to 1.25 but stay 5 slot. Make sure SetCPU isn't set for startup at boot unless you know it's stable. If you get boot loops, hop down a kernel until you find the fastest stable one.

I can only use 1.1, but let me say, DAMN, it makes the Droid superior to the iPhone in everyway, EVEN scrolling.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
Search tags for this page

what does overclocking a phone do

what does overclocking an android phone do
what does overclocking android do

what does overclocking do android

what does overclocking do on android
what does overclocking do to your phone
what does overclocking my phone do
what does overclocking your android do

what does overclocking your phone do

what is overclocking a phone