What does H with up and down arrows mean

MP6SC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola XT910
Hi,

Right at the top of the home screen I often get a capital H with up and down arrows underneath instead of the wi-fi connected symbol. What does this mean please ?

Thanks,

Mike

dasanman69

Reaction score
Hi,

Right at the top of the home screen I often get a capital H with up and down arrows underneath instead of the wi-fi connected symbol. What does this mean please ?

Thanks,

Mike

I believe it means that you're connected to the HSPA network which some companies refer to as 4G which is not LTE.

OP
M

MP6SC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola XT910
To you have a Verizon Range Extender (Femtocell) in your home or does one of your neighbors?

David

Hi David,

Sorry but I have no idea what this is. I certainly don't have one but not sure about the neighbours.

If my phone is displaying the H and not the usual Wi-Fi symbol does this mean I am not using the Wi-Fi on my local Home Hub 3 box ? Surely I don't want to be doing this as any data download would come out of my monthly allowance whereas using my home Wi-Fi would be free.

Thanks,

Mike

YellowJacket

Reaction score
I looked at the Razr owners manual and there is no mention of an icon like that in the manual. My guess though is that is is probably the network extender that I mentioned above. You probably have a neighbor that has one and your phone is connecting to it. If I recall correctly, you are not charged for data if you are connected to one.

Try this, take a walk or drive down the street and see if the icon goes away. If it does, then it is most likely a range extender.

Also, if you are concerned about data charges, you are not charged for data that is downloaded over wifi. So if you are at home and connected to your wifi network (or any other one for that matter) and download something, it does not count against your monthly 4G data.

David

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I think we need a screenshot to really know what we're dealing with

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hspa+ when I drop from lte on my n2 (on att) it shows h

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

OP
M

MP6SC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola XT910
I looked at the Razr owners manual and there is no mention of an icon like that in the manual. My guess though is that is is probably the network extender that I mentioned above. You probably have a neighbor that has one and your phone is connecting to it. If I recall correctly, you are not charged for data if you are connected to one.

Try this, take a walk or drive down the street and see if the icon goes away. If it does, then it is most likely a range extender.

Also, if you are concerned about data charges, you are not charged for data that is downloaded over wifi. So if you are at home and connected to your wifi network (or any other one for that matter) and download something, it does not count against your monthly 4G data.

David

Hi David,

Phone wasn't displaying the H icon for a couple of days but is now back again.

I have noticed the H icon displayed at various other locations away from my home so probably not the network extender.

There is a very brief reference to this icon in the user manual om page 9 but I cannot find anything else to give more detail - https://motorola-global-en-uk.custh...rect/1/filename/RAZR_UG_UK_EN_68016429004.pdf

Just had a live chat session with Motorola support - the H just means I am using a 3G/4G network connection rather than Wi-Fi. I think it keeps dropping the Wi-Fi connection at my home because the signal is crap.

She did describe how to use the Power Control widget to quickly switch Wi-Fi on and off which may be useful.

Thanks to those who have contributed to this discussion.

Mike

YellowJacket

Reaction score
Who is your carrier? Verizon? If not, then you probably have a GSM version of the Razr and the "H" is the icon for the HSPA network.

I am on Verizon and the icon on my phone changes between LTE and 3G. Here is what it looks like on mine.

David

Last edited: