What does ESE53 and ESE81 refer to?

nateccnn

Reaction score
I'm once again trying to wrap my head around all the versions of ROMs...be it custom or stock.

In the Android Devlopers website they refer to Android 2.1 but no mention of ESE or EDS. Is the ESE53 and ESE81 just versions of Verizon's menu system of home screen and app drawer while Android 2.1 is the kernel it runs on?

If so...any ESE53 kernel is going to work on a ESE81 ROM, right? I asusme the ESE81 refers to the middleware between the kernel and the app. Would that be Verizon's? So if we flash a custom ROM it makes no difference but the developers of the ROMs arer saying it is ESE53 based. So are they modifying Verizon's ROM?

They are both Eclair based, right? Froyo has not hit the pavement yet, has it?

What is the kernel version on the 2.1 OTA ESE81? I had it but I overwrote it with Adamz kernel which appears to be 2.6.29 omap. Was the ESE81 based on the 2.6.3? kernel?

Nate

Anonymouse

Reaction score
No, ESE81 is the firmware. It's the beta of 2.1 (It was out before 2.1 came out, it's the leak everyone was on).

rkeller62

Reaction score
Actually, ESE81 is the Motorola build number of the Droid 2.1 update1 software. Anytime a large corp. like Motorola is creating a software update like this each 'build' that they make for testing is assigned a number so they can easily see which version a device is running.

There is a decent chance the build number is using a code that would tell you the exact day the build was compiled. If you know the code that is.

My company uses a build number for software updates that tells me the year, week number of that year and day of that week when the update was compiled.

OP
N

nateccnn

Reaction score
Ok..so motprola takes the kernel Android 2
1 and compiles there own version and mames it ese81?

That makes some sense. So when i put adamz kernel on I lost everything moto did between 53 and 81?

Nate

rkeller62

Reaction score
Ok..so motprola takes the kernel Android 2

1 and compiles there own version and mames it ese81?

That makes some sense. So when i put adamz kernel on I lost everything moto did between 53 and 81?

Nate

I'd have to say maybe! The kernel is only one peice of the whole rom build. For ESE81 the kernel version is 2.6.29-omap1. I don't what it was for ESE53. it is possible the kernel did not change. Remember the build number refers to the rom as a whole. So, if they found a bug in the gps code for instance (just an example as I have no idea what they needed to fix) and fixed the gps code, they now have a new build of the rom and a new build number.

We have put out software patches where 90% of the code was unchanged from the previous version, but it is still a new build.

Put a different way - think of it like a new model year of a car. Sometimes the new model year is almost identical to the previous one, sometimes it is a completely different vehicle and only the name is the same.

OP
N

nateccnn

Reaction score
ok...that helps. Adamz kernel is also 2.6.29 omap so it's based on the same android kernel. So if I use the OTA rom then I still have everything Moto put into ESE 81.

I think I get it.

Nate