what does auto sync even do?

joshxdroid

Reaction score
I've had auto sync turned off all day and I've received all my notifications just as usual

Irontyke

Reaction score
I believe it backs up your phone, contacts, etc. in case you destroy the phone, it can quickly be regenerated on the replacement.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Sync will do just that, sync all your accounts you have listed under the account menu and the specific things you want it to sync. Your text messages and stuff run off the network so they won't be affected.

However you Gmail for example should not come though instantly like normal, you might still receive the email but it will not be right away like before. That sync gives you a direct connection to their servers so it is sent to you as soon as it comes in.

Without that sync then you should be on a manual basis by say opening your Gmail app and do a manual refresh, or if it gets pushed to you eventually by your phone randomly hitting the servers. But your contacts if you sync those up through Google won't sync if you makes changes, same for calendar and whatever else you choose to sync.

OP
J

joshxdroid

Reaction score
Sydman said:
Sync will do just that, sync all your accounts you have listed under the account menu and the specific things you want it to sync. Your text messages and stuff run off the network so they won't be affected.

However you Gmail for example should not come though instantly like normal, you might still receive the email but it will not be right away like before. That sync gives you a direct connection to their servers so it is sent to you as soon as it comes in.

Without that sync then you should be on a manual basis by say opening your Gmail app and do a manual refresh, or if it gets pushed to you eventually by your phone randomly hitting the servers. But your contacts if you sync those up through Google won't sync if you makes changes, same for calendar and whatever else you choose to sync.

Ok, that's what i thought. I actually prefer to do manual checks unless I'm waiting for something. So i might just leave it off most of the time and save myself some battery.