What does a bad or dead pixel look like?

Mondingo

Reaction score
Does anybody know what a dead pixel might look like? . I just noticed when I'm on you tube or basically when the background on the screen is black, there is a small red dot all the way to the right of the screen. And its only visible when the phone is on. It's not dust.. But when the background is white like Google, I do not see it. And it does seem to be lit.

Bad ass REZOUND!

OP
M

Mondingo

Reaction score
Yup that sounds like a dead pixle to me.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

damnit. This phone is working flawlessly with no problems. Except for this little red dot but it's so small, it's not even that noticeable except for when the background is black anyway. it's all the way on the edge of the phone on the right side. So it's not that noticeable. since I don't see it that much of a specially when the background is white on google or anything,I guess I shouldn't I make too big of a deal about it. But why is in red?

Bad ass REZOUND!

Snow02

Reaction score
how many times do you have the tap the screen to change colors before it tells you something? I tapped the screenfor about 3 minutes than nothing

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

The app doesn't tell you anything. It just lets you look for dead/stuck pixels.

OP
M

Mondingo

Reaction score
The app doesn't tell you anything. It just lets you look for dead/stuck pixels.

Why do a few of the pixel apps say fix on them also? I used the one this morning and did not see anything but that one small red dot. It's not in the middle so I will let it go...

Lenagainster

Reaction score
My Droid2 certified like new replacement had a dead pixel off to the side. The only time the tiny red dot was noticeable was on boot up when surrounded by black.
IMHO, if you are in a position to get an absolutely new phone at no cost, go for it. But if you have to pay a restocking fee, or an insurance deductible, or would wind up with a certified like new replacement, I'd say stick with what you have.

Snow02

Reaction score
Why do a few of the pixel apps say fix on them also? I used the one this morning and did not see anything but that one small red dot. It's not in the middle so I will let it go...

If you have any stuck pixels, take it back. All phones should have a zero dead/stuck pixel policy.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
It is a stuck red subpixel. That's why it's only visible in certain situations - those where the red subpixel wouldn't normally be lit.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score

Some of the apps can cycle the screen rapidly through different colored backgrounds. This CAN potentially unstick a stuck pixel.

RezoundHound

Reaction score
A "red" or "green" spot indicates a "dead" pixel. A "white" dot indicates a "hot" pixel. That's one that's stuck on. A hot pixel can sometimes be fixed, that is, unstuck. If you look closely you can sometimes see this on TV with $50,000 network HD cameras. They sometimes hot pixels on their CMOS sensors. I'll see it and then they'll switch to a different camera and it's gone, that tells me it's the camera sensor and not my TV. You might want to find another reason to return your phone, as many companies consider this "acceptable" and within tolerance. I don't. I'd return any component with one dead/hot pixel. Had that happen to me with a 24" computer monitor. They accepted the return with absolutely no hassle. I guess it depends on the company. Being so small and rarely noticeable, I'm afraid you might be in for a hassle with Verizon. Did I also hear you say you're experiencing mysterious frequent rebooting issues ;-) .

RH

Last edited:

KHeeney5

Reaction score
On my Droid X I ran a pixel fixer for an hour or two and it fixed it, just try the ones with the best reviews. If not, take it back.

OP
M

Mondingo

Reaction score
thanks for all the replies. But it's such a small pixel, it's not even noticeable that much. I will run a few fixes and see but at this time the phone is non returnable. I'm past the 30 day return policy. I got it at best buy. other than that the phone is running perfectly. So I will not take my chances of getting a certified like new 1. Thanks for all the help