What do you use for Hot Spot

baldybill

Reaction score
I'm using this, and for some reason it only works for about 30 minutes and then stops.
The app looks like it's running, but my PC doesn't see it.

I had used it on my OG Droid and had no problems.
I am NOT running any tasker or battery saver type programs that could conflict with the settings.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

As I type this I am tethered "wirelessly" to my home desktop because my wifi lost it's signal from downstairs. So I just fire up the Nexus and tether...

It is free, easy, and called "wireless tether for root users". Here is the link to the downloads... http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/list

T
his in my opinion is the best way to go. And yes you need to be rooted.

Unlocking and rooting your Nexus is very easy and the instructions are everywhere. Let us know if you have any other questions...

Enjoy!

baldybill

Reaction score
Today I got it to go for about 5 hours before it dropped the connection.

Could it be that my connection drops when the phone attempts to go to 1x?
Or could it be some other fluke like that?

Do we suppose a future update (radio, 4.0.3, etc) will fix it?

cruzincat

Reaction score
I can validate that if you pay the $20 a month for the Verizon tether it utilizes your unlimited plan

I have a grandfathered unlimited plan and when I got the nexus I asked the guy at Verizon about tethering. I paid the $20 and sure enough, after my 13gb of traffic I saw no fees and all the data was bucketed under my unlimited data. Not sure if it's a glitch or what.

Still its $20 a month though :(

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

I cannot seem to find how to get it for $20/month. When I go online with VZW it says it is $30/month. Still haven't tried it yet. I am not even sure I want to pay $20.

captdroid

Reaction score
Using wireless tether app (root required). I don't use it much but in a pinch it comes in handy. That's all and no I am not concerned that the Verizon Gods will visit my house and drag me off demanding I pay them more money. :D

eric.scheman

Reaction score
Using wireless tether app (root required). I don't use it much but in a pinch it comes in handy. That's all and no I am not concerned that the Verizon Gods will visit my house and drag me off demanding I pay them more money. :D

Haha yea I have the same and use it occasionally but I'm not worried about them charging cause I don't over abuse it. Some guy on the forums here says he uses more than 5 gigs alone for the hotspot hack which is stupid cause those are people that are gonna ruin it for people like us

bsmith0731

Reaction score
What about an app that monitors the hotspot connection not just turns it on.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Check my sig for a non root answer.

Also, I have never used the Elixer Widget, but if it works, and it's free then that's a no brainer.